Apple II Core

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Apple II Core

Unread post by Newsdee »

chocomochino wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:44 pm Thx i've been playing but i saw some un bootable disks anyone knows how i can load a O.S? i want to play "Uninvited" have failed to find a way to do so
Isn't Uninvited for the Apple2GS? The core only supports an enhanced II+ (compatible with //e and //c, but not the GS).

You can try playing the Mac version on the Mac Plus core. The current Apple II core doesn't support disk writes anyway, but the Mac plus core can write to VHDs.

Otherwise to run an OS, you need to boot with a DOS 3.3 disk. I haven't tried ProDOS myself, but it may also work.
nemopapa

Unread post by nemopapa »

franbour wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:55 am I was an Apple IIe fan 40 years ago. I do like this core, but I have some problem. I am french and use AZERTY keyboards which are not supported by the core. I have bought a QWERTY keyboard (windows) but I can't type the "#", which is used in many places in applesoft.

Thank you for your help and many thanks for the huge job .
MiSTer's Apple II core generated using US-UK video rom image, So it' replaced pound symbol instead of #.

I've changed UK-US video rom to US rom and could type #.

See attached zipped Apple II core based on 20210302 version. You should extract it on _Computer folder.
Attachments
Apple-II-US_20210302.zip
(932.3 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
cuvtixo

Unread post by cuvtixo »

chocomochino wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:44 pm
Newsdee wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 pm
chocomochino wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm Hello is there any guide with the files ? i want to play some Apple II games and i have no clue where to start with VHD's
Hard drives are not supported yet. You need to use floppies in .dsk, .nib, or .po format.
Thx i've been playing but i saw some un bootable disks anyone knows how i can load a O.S? i want to play "Uninvited" have failed to find a way to do so
As I remember it, the first floppy of a game almost always contained its own bootable code. Perhaps you are familiar with MS-DOS 3.3 of the period? -the "sys" command creates a bootable floppy disk by copying the three files: msdos.sys (31kb), io.sys(22kb), and command.com(25kb) to the floppy disk, and only those files, and they were invisible to a "dir"command. Apple IIe was similar, (it's been a while now), just a small bit of code would make the disk bootable, no need to load an entire "OS". There is no windowing software to load. Neither DOS nor ProDOS had a graphical interface, and that meant a lot less to load, and a lot less memory used. They were literally just "disk operating systems" reading and writing memory from a disk.
Sorry for the long lecture, but it's an interesting misunderstanding. I haven't used any Apple emulator in a while and this brings back memories. I think you only need a "Boot Disk", which will load a few kilobytes, and I'm not even sure what command you would need after that. OR, another guess would be if these (esp. later) games weren't bootable that there's serious faults on the disk image.
cuvtixo

Unread post by cuvtixo »

Newsdee wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:19 am Isn't Uninvited for the Apple2GS? The core only supports an enhanced II+ (compatible with //e and //c, but not the GS).
You can try playing the Mac version on the Mac Plus core. The current Apple II core doesn't support disk writes anyway, but the Mac plus core can write to VHDs.
Otherwise to run an OS, you need to boot with a DOS 3.3 disk. I haven't tried ProDOS myself, but it may also work.
Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, Unnvited was only for the IIgs, when it came to AppleII's, in fact the Mac version was the first to come out. I had an Apple IIe through high school and college. I hardly ever did anything with DOS 3.3, only to program simple BASIC graphics, and only Lo-RES mode, 16 colors, at that. In other words, there's not much to do in either operating system. It's about as fun as booting into the BASICA on IBM PCs, that is, no fun at all unless you know a fairly good amount about programming in Basic.
nemopapa

chocomochino wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm Hello is there any guide with the files ? i want to play some Apple II games and i have no clue where to start with VHD's
Hard drives are not supported yet. You need to use floppies in .dsk, .nib, or .po format.
steven-a-wilson updated ProDOS HDD support (#7) on Apple ii core last week nicely.
It works great with .hdv supporting even write on HDD!!!

I've compiled and tested it. Love new feature!
You could also use .po file just change extension to .hdv (convert .2mg to .po via CiderPress)

It will be soon updated apple ii core by master Sorgelig. ;)

I've attached for those whom wants US keyboard version of .hdv supporting.
(Sorry to steven-a-wilson and Sorgelig anyone who inconvenient to upload it earlier than formal release,
if there's any problem, please let me know. I'll delete my attachment)
Attachments
Apple-II-USHDD_20210315.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

nemopapa wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 amYou could also use .po file just change extension to .hdv (convert .2mg to .po via CiderPress)
It's fallen off my bash history, but for Pitch Dark I'm pretty sure I just did this and it worked (after figuring out that it needed 65C02):

Code: Select all

dd if=Pitch-Dark-20200427.2mg of=Pitch-Dark-20200427.hdv bs=64 skip=1
Tehashen

Unread post by Tehashen »

nemopapa wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 am
steven-a-wilson updated ProDOS HDD support (#7) on Apple ii core last week nicely.
It works great with .hdv supporting even write on HDD!!!

I've compiled and tested it. Love new feature!
You could also use .po file just change extension to .hdv (convert .2mg to .po via CiderPress)

It will be soon updated apple ii core by master Sorgelig. ;)

I've attached for those whom wants US keyboard version of .hdv supporting.
(Sorry to steven-a-wilson and Sorgelig anyone who inconvenient to upload it earlier than formal release,
if there's any problem, please let me know. I'll delete my attachment)
Hi Nemopapa,

Can you tell me which roms you used to compile the core for US keyboard ? Thanks
nemopapa

Tehashen wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am Hi Nemopapa,

Can you tell me which roms you used to compile the core for US keyboard ? Thanks
Hi Tehashen,

I've downloaded '#6 Apple IIe Enhanced Video ROM - 342-0265-A - US 1983.bin' at http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II ... %20Images/

BR,
Tehashen

Unread post by Tehashen »

nemopapa wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:10 pm
Tehashen wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am Hi Nemopapa,

Hi Tehashen,

I've downloaded '#6 Apple IIe Enhanced Video ROM - 342-0265-A - US 1983.bin' at http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II ... %20Images/

BR,
Thanks
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Loving the the HDV support! Total Replay is really well made, the "attract mode" is really impressive.
I haven't gotten Pitch Dark to work yet... need to try that .2mg to .hdv conversion.
nemopapa

Newsdee wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:35 am Loving the the HDV support! Total Replay is really well made, the "attract mode" is really impressive.
I haven't gotten Pitch Dark to work yet... need to try that .2mg to .hdv conversion.
If you're Windows user, please use Ciderpress(which downloadable at http://a2ciderpress.com/ ) to convert .2mg to .po then just change extension .po to .hdv
You could also get another .2mg images from apple ii online museum and archives at http://www.apple-2.com/
meauxdal

Unread post by meauxdal »

This .hdv should work for Pitch Dark on the MiSTer Apple2 core:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yx5ymf00 ... 7.zip/file

I just compared the distributed Pitch Dark .2mg with the working Total Replay .hdv in a hex editor and lopped off the header from the .2mg file to match the Total Replay file. Cheers!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Is that Pitch Dark image working for you? I got it to boot, but when I press Return on "B PITCH.DARK",
it just goes back to selecting "PRODOS" (I'd expect it to run).
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

It worked after trying other disks... must be some kind of interference with what was already loaded.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

Newsdee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:09 pm Is that Pitch Dark image working for you? I got it to boot, but when I press Return on "B PITCH.DARK",
it just goes back to selecting "PRODOS" (I'd expect it to run).
Is it possible that you changed the CPU type? This sounds like exactly what I see if the CPU type is set to 6502.
meauxdal

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention Pitch Dark needs the 65C02 CPU and will give you an rather useless little menu if you are set to 6502 instead.
meauxdal

New version of Pitch Dark is out, and looks like the format has been changed to .hdv. Should work out of the box now, I'd imagine.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

What are the keyboard keys to do the special Apple II keys such as Reset, Open Apple and Closed Apple? For example, I want to break out of the boot screen and drop to a prompt so I can type a Basic program and I have no idea how to do it. I don't want to load a disk first. Thanks!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

thorr wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:27 am I want to break out of the boot screen and drop to a prompt so I can type a Basic program and I have no idea how to do it.
Press the "User" physical button on the MiSTer (it's the one at the right); that will bring you to command prompt.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Newsdee wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:30 pm
thorr wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:27 am I want to break out of the boot screen and drop to a prompt so I can type a Basic program and I have no idea how to do it.
Press the "User" physical button on the MiSTer (it's the one at the right); that will bring you to command prompt.
Thanks! I can't access this button because my MiSTer is inside a custom case. Is there a way to assign the User button to a keyboard key?

Edit: I figured it out (yeah!): Control Alt Delete

Thanks for your help!
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Some of the keys are not mapped correctly:
- I can't find the open and closed apple keys
- The \ and | are being mapped to ` and ~
- The ` and ~ are recognized but I am not sure what they are
- The backspace should be printing a cursor but it is acting like the left arrow

I wrote the following program to test the keys:
10 K=PEEK(-16384)
20 PRINT K
30 GOTO 10
RUN
Press control alt del to break out of it

Also, I think the colors are wrong. Two of the colors should be gray and look the same. I wrote the following program to test the colors:
10 GR
20 FOR X = 1 TO 15
30 COLOR = X
40 PLOT X,X
50 NEXT X
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Looks like the Apple II HDD support made it in the main line. Looking forwards to seeing it. This was a nice improvement. (Waiting on a long update_all.sh right now...)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Am I right in thinking that none of the Apple cores have RTC implemented? Seems odd that none of them utilise this.
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

Just dropping a note to say thanks for the Apple 2 core. I never had one back in the day and, though I was aware of their place in gaming's pantheon, I never had the chance to play one. I've just spent a couple of hours playing Prince of Persia and Airheart and I'm really impressed with both the games and the Apple 2 itself. I'm also very grateful that we have the MISTer and its dev community creating this amazing environment where dipping into computing and gaming history is so convenient!
cathrynmataga

I've been playing with this also. Definately some interesting games on this system, and some of the earliest.

I discover "POKE 48984,192" and then "-[filename]" to get some games to run from Prodos hard disk image, the ones that complain about buffers. Also CHDIR on Prodos is PREFIX. and DIR is CATALOG. Not sure now, did I know this stuff one time or not? I used Apple 2 a little, but was never a heavy user. I'm not sure why you'd ever set "Pixel Clock" to anything other than double, but this seems to make 80 column work correctly with pr #3. Still not sure how to catalog with wildcards but this is me, not the core.

Definately has some interesting games on this system, really, I've just been rummaging through the apple-2.com images myself.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

It would really be handy if cores had an extra tab in their menu, with a bit of text giving some hints on how to use that system (including the core's MiSTer hot keys), so I don't have to memorize or look it up for each core.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

The core is great for casual use, but the lack of floppy save feature is a big stumbling block. Hope some good soul will sort it out one day.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Has anyone had any luck at all with running in Karateka? With analog input, I can't seem to make the smooth necessary transition from Up to Right. :/
cathrynmataga

akeley wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:18 pm The core is great for casual use, but the lack of floppy save feature is a big stumbling block. Hope some good soul will sort it out one day.
Lack of floppy write is a bit of a joy killer, since much of Apple 2 culture was floppy based and I guess the floppy write code is baked into the games, so the hardware has to be right maybe? I saw the comments on this. This might need someone with good understanding of low-level disk operation on Apple 2, and willing to work with FPGA, and that person may not exist. We'll see.
RedskullDC

Unread post by RedskullDC »

Hi All,
cathrynmataga wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:30 pm Lack of floppy write is a bit of a joy killer, since much of Apple 2 culture was floppy based and I guess the floppy write code is baked into the games, so the hardware has to be right maybe? I saw the comments on this. This might need someone with good understanding of low-level disk operation on Apple 2, and willing to work with FPGA, and that person may not exist. We'll see.
Last time I looked, code to do the DSK => NIB conversion is done on the Linux side.
NIB image in memory is what the Apple 2 core works with.

Being able to save a NIB image shouldn't be too hard to do, but saving as a DSK means you need to:
Have to have the code on the linux side to convert from NIB back to DSK
Be able to build the Linux side yourself.

Cheers,
Red