Apple //e lockup on Cannonball Blitz

Classic80sgmr

Apple //e lockup on Cannonball Blitz

Unread post by Classic80sgmr »

It has been decades since I saw the elevator level of Cannonball Blitz. When the level stated the image appears and the screen froze. Anyone else have this issue? Anything to try as a fix? Damn it is a hard game… Thanks.
ExCyber

Re: Apple //e lockup on Cannonball Blitz

Unread post by ExCyber »

I managed to reproduce this in Total Replay running on both MiSTer and AppleWin. I did need to use the infinite lives cheat to actually make it to level 3, because level 2 is just brutal. To make sure it wasn't a bug in the Total Replay cheat (which patches code), I also turned it off and accomplished something similar by editing the lives location ($6F12) directly in the AppleWin debugger. That approach also let me try it on the woz-a-day dump, which doesn't have the same problem.

Since it happens on both MiSTer and AppleWin, the game itself is known for having tricky protection, and the woz-a-day dump doesn't show the same problem in AppleWin, I think this is probably a bad crack or corrupt dump.
Classic80sgmr

Not the answer I was expecting, very interesting. Thanks for the research and response I will look in other libraries for a different dump. And yes, level 2 is brutal! One of my favorite games on the Apple //.
Classic80sgmr

Finally had some time to play. If anyone is looking to play Cannonball Blitz the file “cannonball blitz (4am crack).dsk” from the Mame Software directory apple2_flop_clcracked/canbblitz.zip works! Thanks for the help. Now to remember how to get past the elevator screen….
Classic80sgmr

Another image of note, if you like Sea Dragon, the image “seadragon.dsk” from Mame software directory apple2/seadragn.zip has the proper dah, dah, dah dah dah sound and the beginning of a life. The Total Replay version is static.