Game Gear custom aspect ratio

Hyper Space Squid

Game Gear custom aspect ratio

Unread post by Hyper Space Squid »

I'm trying to get the Game Gear image into a smaller 4:3 box with a border around the top and sides to shrink the image as it looks too blown up and pixelated usually.

I'm using 720p resolution and want to add a custom aspect ratio to the Mister.ini file so i can select it from the core video options but i cant figure out how to make a smaller aspect with a border all the way around the closest i can get is a 4:3 image which still looks a little pixelated.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Captain FPGA

Re: Game Gear custom aspect ratio

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

I'm interested in this question too.
Dreams don't die!
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

This is kind of tricky. You can’t directly control the vertical resolution, but you can influence it through your video mode and turning integer scaling on and off. The game gear’s vertical resolution is 144 pixels, which goes exactly five times into 720, so having integer scaling on or off makes no difference. If you set the video mode to 1080 it’ll go 7.5 times, so turning integer scaling on will get you a 7x multiple using 1008 of the 1080 lines (93%), so small borders. On 480p with integer scaling it’ll use 432 of 480 lines (90%), which should get you a slightly bigger border. If you go down to 240p it’ll output 144 of 240 lines (60%), a much bigger border. How those output resolutions interact with your display is another factor.

If you find a vertical border you like from that then you can fiddle with the aspect ratio to try and get a horizontal border that suits as well.

There is an option in the core to turn on a border, but I think it only applies to SMS mode.

Edit: also I forgot about the vscale_border option in mister.ini. I’ve never used it but I think it just lets you set a number of pixels to be a border above and below, probably exactly what you’re after.
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

I use
[GAMEGEAR]
vscale_border=100
in the .ini with 720p and 'V-Integer' Scale in the core options.

Some Italian Grandmother on discord made me a separate GG core btw :D
Hyper Space Squid

Yes! vscale border=100 looks great! The only problem is that i can't get it to work on Game Gear only. I have to put [SMS] vscale border=100 which then squashes the aspect ratio of the master system.

Without separating the cores does anyone know of a way to add vscale border to game gear only?
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I think the easiest way would be to make an alternative ini file for one or the other, and switch between them as needed. Copy mister.ini to a file named mister_alt_1.ini in the same directory, and only include the vscale_border option in one of them. Then you can switch between them using the OSD.
Hyper Space Squid

Yes! a separate ini worked great, now i can swap over to the alt ini 1 if i want to play game gear with a smaller screen.

Thank you to everyone who helped, you are all very much appreciated! :D
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

So I did all of the above GG still displays at 1080p. The only thing I got to flip to 720p is the Mister main menu.

How do I get cores to display at 720p in my alt ini? More specifically only the SMS core?
Dreams don't die!