Fatal Fury 3's Endings Are Broken

sbnr21

Fatal Fury 3's Endings Are Broken

Unread post by sbnr21 »

I can play the whole game through without any problems, but when the ending starts for the character, a weird green screen with all these numbers claims that the contacts are dirty and to clean them.

I'm totally baffled because I've played and beaten all the Fatal Fury games(RB, GMOTW and Special Versions) and all those work perfectly on MISTer.

Is there going to be any updates that could fix it so I can play Fatal Fury 3 without it breaking when I beat the game?

Thanks
ExCyber

Re: Fatal Fury 3's Endings Are Broken

Unread post by ExCyber »

This is apparently a game bug:

https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=2404
sbnr21

Unread post by sbnr21 »

Thanks for the responsive reply.

I hope it can be fixed because I did see some of Fatal Fury 3's endings are in English, too.
mr-box

Unread post by mr-box »

it wont be fix because it happens in a real neogeo thats if its the same bug as in mame
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Playing on my Analogue CMVS I've beaten the game multiple times with Terry and it never crashed. Is this an issue that happens under certain conditions i.e. beating the game with anyone but Terry? Beating it with continues perhaps?

Edit: Upon reading the bug report they confirmed it's when you play the game in english however I only ever beat the game in english. The only thing I can think of is I bought the japanese version on MVS but changed the Universe BIOS to english.

Still, I can confirm this bug doesn't exist on all FF3 carts and/or may not be faulty on all real MVS boards.
Dreams don't die!
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

Haze's comment says that the missing code is to handle "special endings". I'm not sure exactly what that means (and Google/GameFAQs aren't helping much), but the phrasing wouldn't make much sense unless there are unaffected "normal endings". StrategyWiki has this to say (the only description of the requirements that I could readily find):
Boss Fights

After a match is finished, the game grades your performance. Based on these grades, you will finish the game with a different boss and ending.

Poor performance ending boss : Ryuji Yamazaki
Average performance ending boss : Jin Chonshu
Above average performance ending boss : Jin Chonshu (with an appearance by Jin Chonrei at the very end)
Good performance ending boss : Jin Chonrei

If the game is set on the USA, ASIA or EUROPE bios, the game will reset after defeating Jin Chonrei and you won't get to see the ending. However, if the game is set on the JAPAN bios, you can watch the final ending.
pac

Unread post by pac »

Thanks for the explanation. I remember seeing the ending multiple times too while having the MVS set to US. Guess I was never good enough to fight against Jin Chonrei, lol.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

It occurs to me that although Haze said there are no confirmed later revisions, that was 11 years ago and he might have only been considering actual cartridge/PCB dumps. It might be a long shot, but I don't think it's out of the question that the NGCD, Wii Virtual Console, or ACA NEOGEO releases have a fixed version of the ROM.