Saturn

dmckean

Re: Saturn

Unread post by dmckean »

breiztiger wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 am with a i7-8700 (three years old cpu) you have a solid 100% (max 150%) on bio freaks with mame
This is still a very fast CPU. I actually don't even own a computer with a CPU this fast.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Mame strives for accuracy, but in actuality it's far from it
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

It is among the most accurate software emulators and the whole community owes a lot to the work that went into Mame. E.g. when everybody was fine with decrypted cps2 roms, people from Mame implemented the proper encrypted roms, when everybody was fine with the wrong enemy behavior in Bubble Bobble Mame corrected it. The list goes on.
Milspex

Unread post by Milspex »

Mame is great for what it is and for the people that like it = FPGA is great for what it is and for the people that like it
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

darksakul wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:50 am Mame strives for accuracy, but in actuality it's far from it
Why don't you lend a hand to make it better then? You seem to know all about it's issues..
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

retrorepair wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:54 am
darksakul wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:50 am Mame strives for accuracy, but in actuality it's far from it
Why don't you lend a hand to make it better then? You seem to know all about it's issues..
Like the Linux kernel, MAME rejects almost all patches that come from outside their small group. MAME has grown so monolithic that patching the sound to work in one game will break behavior in 50 others. MAME merging with MESS made things 10x worse. Fixing accuracy in old games can turn into a major project.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

dmckean wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm
Like the Linux kernel, MAME rejects almost all patches that come from outside their small group. MAME has grown so monolithic that patching the sound to work in one game will break behavior in 50 others. MAME merging with MESS made things 10x worse. Fixing accuracy in old games can turn into a major project.
I totally disagree. I've even got code in MAME. In fact, it spurred further improvements from others which was also accepted.

If your code doesn't make sense then it'll probably be rejected. If not, anyone can submit. Not sure where you got that idea from.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

They've rejected my fixes in the past. Afraid that fixing something axiomatic might break a game (but no tests or proof that breakage occurred).
This was years ago, but it poisoned me on contributing.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

retrorepair wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:30 pm
dmckean wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm

I totally disagree. I've even got code in MAME. In fact, it spurred further improvements from others which was also accepted.

If your code doesn't make sense then it'll probably be rejected. If not, anyone can submit. Not sure where you got that idea from.
To be fair, "if your code doesn't make sense" is going to depend upon the perspective of the person who is reviewing your code, and that can often be skewed :P
dshadoff wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:37 pm They've rejected my fixes in the past. Afraid that fixing something axiomatic might break a game (but no tests or proof that breakage occurred).
This was years ago, but it poisoned me on contributing.
This must have been before they were up on Github, I didn't see your username up there in any pull requests or issues, which is very probable, it's such an old project and you've been involved in this scene a long time too :) I was curious to see what happened with that.
birdybro~
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

OK guys, can we take the MAME fight somewhere else?
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

darksakul wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:37 pm Mame was never accurate, you need a powerful CPU for software accuracy and Mame can run on a toaster powered by a potato
You can't generalize MAME though. Each different driver in MAME could be an accurate or not so accurate representation of the game being emulated. And there are certainly tradeoffs. Older and less complex hardware might be emulated in a way that is faster but not particularly accurate. But depending on the behavior of the game there may not be any noticeable impact from doing it that way. But if you did emulate more accurately you may get a huge jump in the requirements of the host system.

Either way, more options for playing and preserving these old games is always a good thing.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this Saturn development goes.
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

the_importer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:48 am OK guys, can we take the MAME fight somewhere else?
I second that, especially since most of the talk is clueless. Go learn MAME first and then, if you have concern, talk about it on MAMEdev or just fork it and talk about your fork in your fork forum.

This is a topic about the Saturn and a core development of it.
Ryuoken

Unread post by Ryuoken »

A new update!!

hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Everybody needs to jump onto this guys patreon quick! Incredible progress!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Ryuoken wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:20 pm A new update!!
Though i might sounds skeptic, but why aren't we seeing him load / boot the core from the dev's fpga? :roll:
hiddenbyleaves

MostroW wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:32 pm
Though i might sounds skeptic, but why aren't we seeing him load / boot the core from the dev's fpga? :roll:
I see absolutely no reason to be skeptical. This guy has been responsible for some of the MiSTer's best cores.
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:29 pm Everybody needs to jump onto this guys patreon quick! Incredible progress!
I agree, I am supporting him, it would be incredible to have this core.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

MostroW wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:32 pm
Not sure what you mean by"the dev's fpga", maybe you could elaborate. Do you mean that you don't see the de10-nano in the shot, or do you mean you don't see the OSD?

Core development for the MiSTer does not require the core to be integrated into the framework prior to development beginning. Core development also doesn't have to begin on the de10-nano (PS1 core is being developed currently on a xilinx arty7 a100t board, because ultraembedded is used to it and xilinx's toolchain, and the team will figure out porting to the mister later).
birdybro~
hiddenbyleaves

He brings up the OSD menu at one point in the video and loads a bios.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Oh you're right. Either way, I think it's useful that people recognize that FPGA core development doesn't necessarily require the MiSTer framework at the beginning. :P
birdybro~
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

At 1:47 you can see the Mister HUD. Though I don't know why you are doubting the guy who oversees the Mister project itself.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:47 pm At 1:47 you can see the Mister HUD. Though I don't know why you are doubting the guy who oversees the Mister project itself.
just for the record, I wasn't doubting him. I was responding to someone who was doubting him. And srg320 doesn't oversee the mister project, sorgelig does. Different people :P

srg320 did the SNES core among many other awesome contributions.
birdybro~
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

I see no reason to be skeptical either. As far as the Mister menu, srg320 mentions in the comments that it is not the Mister menu, but just a placeholder menu.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

I probably missed the menu part that's my bad! :oops:

Like i said excuse my skepticism, i come from the time where said they were emulating a lot of stuff when in fact there was nothing untill a lot later.
I've read in another thread where it said the developer Sergey Dvodnenko is a well respected developer so in that matter i've jumped the gun to express my doubts.

Anyway, i am really excited and curious on how well this core will turn out and will keep an eye on this one.
So many good games on the good ol' Saturn!
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Could be nice box to be reworked for the Mister once the Saturn core will be there (I really cross my fingers that this happens a day).

https://www.segashop.eu/collections/all ... ne-charger

It seems that a non official case is already on the go

https://www.facebook.com/rpifrance/vide ... ted_videos

かすりん

Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm He brings up the OSD menu at one point in the video and loads a bios.
Actually, I asked about this on his video:

theimporter
1 day ago
1:47: So is that the official MiSTer menu or a generic menu for FPGA development?

srg320
1 day ago
This is a temporary menu for development.
hiddenbyleaves

the_importer wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 pm
hiddenbyleaves wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm He brings up the OSD menu at one point in the video and loads a bios.
Actually, I asked about this on his video:

theimporter
1 day ago
1:47: So is that the official MiSTer menu or a generic menu for FPGA development?

srg320
1 day ago
This is a temporary menu for development.
Ahh, I see. Interesting.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

The wording of the question is pretty ambiguous, and mixes up MiSTer/non-MiSTer with development/release distinctions. I'm sure srg320 just meant that the structure/definition of the menu will change radically before release, not that it's some non-MiSTer menu mechanism.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Not sure what all the apparent mystique and speculation is about.

In order to test multiple things in a single build (because builds can take a half hour), developers will make many changes to menu options during development. So it most certainly won't be the official menu until days before release. But the OSD popup was based on the framework.

Also, for purposes of speeding up builds, some developers also use modified frameworks - Jotego routinely builds without HDMI support (during development periods) because the HDMI scaler accounts for about 10 minutes of build time.

And I'm not even sure how the other question is relevant - related to which dev board in being used...
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

srg320's progress as of March 26, 2021

It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.