PlayStation

jca
Top Contributor

Re: PlayStation

Unread post by jca »

scanline_samurai wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:56 am Could you do something crazy and hook up a second DE-10 nano? One running the PSX core and another running a GPU core?
There are not too many GPIO pins free to do that.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

https://www.patreon.com/laxer3a

FWRnIsJ.png
FWRnIsJ.png (76.16 KiB) Viewed 10762 times

well, that sucks :(
im guessing someone will jump in and help with this project at some point, but id imagine this core development may be put a (long) hiatus
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

PikWik wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 pm https://www.patreon.com/laxer3a

well, that sucks :(
im guessing someone will jump in and help with this project at some point, but id imagine this core development may be put a (long) hiatus
Yea saw it on the Patreon, these things happen.

All the best to laxer though, great work by everybody involved to get it as far as it is right now. Physical and mental well-being are definitely more important than games.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

:o Well that sucks... I hope it's nothing too serious on a personal level.
However he never made the code available on github though right? I hope he does, so other devs can take a crack at it without restarting from scratch.
This is pretty sad seriously. He could have made the message available for everyone to see. Ultra embedded didn't put anything up on Twitter, so this is kind of a blurry mess right now. Anyone got the chance to read the full post?
Blitzwing

Neocaron wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 pm :o Well that sucks... I hope it's nothing too serious on a personal level.
However he never made the code available on github though right? I hope he does, so other devs can take a crack at it without restarting from scratch.
This is pretty sad seriously. He could have made the message available for everyone to see. Ultra embedded didn't put anything up on Twitter, so this is kind of a blurry mess right now. Anyone got the chance to read the full post?
Nope it is up on GitHub, right now it is the parts laxer has done but I believe ultra will open source his designs too. Looking in from the outside it really was quite sudden.

https://github.com/Laxer3a/PS-GTE
https://github.com/Laxer3a/PS-GPU
https://github.com/Laxer3a/psdebugtool
https://github.com/Laxer3a/MDEC

Edited. Just in case people don't search etc. Ultra has also released his designs on GitHub.
Neocaron

I just checked Github and I was about to change my comment, but yeah you're right.
Hopefully it doesn't end there.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm
MostroW wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm this together with the Saturn, would make the system practically complete i'd say
I'll say that when I see a DC and a 3DO core as well :P

But yeah, a PSX core would really make my year.
Well console wise we are still missing Jaguar, 3DO, 32X and CDI

N64 won't fit and the DS won't either and Dreamcast won't as well.

What I would want is all the Playstation based arcade titles ported like Tekken 1- Tag Tournament, DDR, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter EX, and more These are the boards for reference

http://www.system16.com/base.php#1
Fear is the mind killer!
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

im a little skeptical a PSX, or a saturn core, will happen at this point.
considering the library of the playstation, and im sure a never ending list of bug fixes,
this is without a doubt the biggest core to develop for the MiSTer.

with ~4,000 games on the playstation 1 library, it would be a full-time job for countless people to get a polished 100% compatibility core developed.
(i will happily/gladly be proven wrong, but these gaming systems were made by an entire team of smart people, not just 2 or 3 people)

but yes, i do hope laxer is doing well, and they consider revisiting their work and get it to a point where they could hand it off to someone else
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

PS1 will happen at some point. Kitrinx said it's inevitable due to the interest in the system and the fact that it can fit on the De-10, and she's a dev so I trust her opinion more than the average person. It all depends on how talented the devs of the core are though.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

That's really unfortunate considering the status already reached.
I hope Laxer comes back to this project.

If not, I might start with PSX after wonderswan.
PSX cannot be left undone.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

redsteakraw wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 am
pgimeno wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm
MostroW wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm this together with the Saturn, would make the system practically complete i'd say
I'll say that when I see a DC and a 3DO core as well :P

But yeah, a PSX core would really make my year.
Well console wise we are still missing Jaguar, 3DO, 32X and CDI
As well as CD-32, hopefully that wouldn't be too much work to create, as it is so close to an Amiga 1200.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Can't mention Amiga CD-32 without Commodore CD, which is presumably easier as I don't think it has any special chips, while CD-32 has one that would have to be done.
max1602

Unread post by max1602 »

Xbytez wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:15 pm For those following development a few new updates:

STOKED
can't say more. LOVE for PSX man. :)
MY childhood system.
Less is not always more.
Neocaron

After finally reading the patreon post, it feels like it's a drama between Laxer and Ultra which put the project to a halt...
It's really annoying when people can't keep it together. You understand why so many devs decide to work by themselves and are always unease to bring people in. You never know how people are gonna behave. We clearly don't know much, but it's just f ing sad.

E0-gdDfWYAAEJLU.jpg
E0-gdDfWYAAEJLU.jpg (361.1 KiB) Viewed 12711 times
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

Sad to see it go this way. Would appear from the outside to be an issue about % ownership of the project/proceeds which might explain the "friction".

Disappointed about the news, but Laxer has been very open and forthcoming with all information up to this point and at least all the work Patreons have supported has been put up on GitHub. I hope the community gets the rest too from Ultra.

There are no guarantees with developments of cores and I think most people understand that going in. I wish Laxer the best for his contribution and hope that maybe somebody else will grab the torch.
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Meanwhile, there has been new progress in the Saturn core today :)

Maybe everyone who supported the PSX core development on Patreon should move over and support Sergey.
Blitzwing

chanunnaki wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm Sad to see it go this way. Would appear from the outside to be an issue about % ownership of the project/proceeds which might explain the "friction".

Disappointed about the news, but Laxer has been very open and forthcoming with all information up to this point and at least all the work Patreons have supported has been put up on GitHub. I hope the community gets the rest too from Ultra.

There are no guarantees with developments of cores and I think most people understand that going in. I wish Laxer the best for his contribution and hope that maybe somebody else will grab the torch.
Not necessarily, I can't speak for either of them but there appears to have been some friction going on regarding implementation of the SPU (audio) side of the project.
Blitzwing

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:40 pm Meanwhile, there has been new progress in the Saturn core today :)

Maybe everyone who supported the PSX core development on Patreon should move over and support Sergey.
Didn't know there was one at all. If I thought the PS1 might be difficult a Saturn core is even more crazy.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

ultraembedd expressed on Discord that he'll share his portion of the code this week on Github so if he decides to drop the project it can be picked up. I don't know how far they've gotten, but an uneducated guess would be they completed 40-50% of the project. Robert Piep mentioned earlier on this thread that he'd consider doing it after the WonderSwan, so there is still plenty of interest. PSX will live on!
leonquest

Unread post by leonquest »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 am That's really unfortunate considering the status already reached.

I salute you sir! What a total badass. Consider me as a patreon if/when you do. And thank you.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 am That's really unfortunate considering the status already reached.

Help us FPGAzumSpass-Kenobi, you're our only hope.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Moondandy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 am Can't mention Amiga CD-32 without Commodore CD, which is presumably easier as I don't think it has any special chips, while CD-32 has one that would have to be done.
Yes CDTV, pretty much an Amiga 500 with a CD drive.
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Moondandy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:18 am Can't mention Amiga CD-32 without Commodore CD, which is presumably easier as I don't think it has any special chips, while CD-32 has one that would have to be done.
And a remote control :D
mdd45

Unread post by mdd45 »

from ultraembedded:

" ## PS-FPGA project
Hi,

I have pushed everything I have for the current version of the PS-FPGA project to our shared repository that Laxer created:
https://github.com/PS-FPGA/ps-fpga

The repo contains submodules (from both contributors), so to clone it, you will need to run:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/PS-FPGA/ps-fpga.git

It contains everything we last demonstrated (unless I missed a file in the commit process), and excludes SPU (sound) and MDEC (fmv) as these are stubs / not integrated.

It obviously targets the Xilinx board at the moment (our development platform), but it should be reasonably straightforward to port to MiSTer provided (a) it fits, and (b) MiSTers DDR has enough BW / low enough latency.

I am taking a break from this stuff but hopefully one of us or someone new will pick up this project and run with at some point."
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

fingers crossed this core gets a beta release in the next couple years.

ultra's last comment there, about the core being ported from xilinx to MiSTer and if "it fits" is something the next team will have to figure out.
id imagine jotego's new DDR controller could be used, as it addresses bandwidth and latency (altho i have no idea how much bandwidth/latency is needed for the higher performing PSX games)

until then, its more handhelds and arcade cores for the foreseeable future.
which isnt a bad thing, but its kind of what i was guessing, now the MiSTer has reached the end of its limits for core development.
Blitzwing

PikWik wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 am fingers crossed this core gets a beta release in the next couple years.

ultra's last comment there, about the core being ported from xilinx to MiSTer and if "it fits" is something the next team will have to figure out.
id imagine jotego's new DDR controller could be used, as it addresses bandwidth and latency (altho i have no idea how much bandwidth/latency is needed for the higher performing PSX games)

which isnt a bad thing, but its kind of what i was guessing, now the MiSTer has reached the end of its limits for core development.
32X, Jaguar, Saturn and probably some other consoles I can't think of right now are still missing and probably doable, although MIA Jaguar and 32x isn't much of a loss game wise imo, but the Saturn development is apparently coming on quite nicely.

Logic wise the arty board that the PS1 team were using and the de10 are quite similar so it'll most likely "fit" with room to spare (can't imagine it even being as big as ao486). Just like ultra put, the question will be bandwidth and latency of the DDR on the De10, if it isn't up to the task then it might be the end of the road for PS1, at least as far as MiSTer is concerned.

Edit. I did actually ask laxer once how much logic they thought it will take up on the De10-nano the answer was something like 70+%.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Blitzwing wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 am 32X, Jaguar, Saturn and probably some other consoles I can't think of right now are still missing and probably doable, although MIA Jaguar and 32x isn't much of a loss game wise imo, but the Saturn development is apparently coming on quite nicely.
There is already an early implementation of the Jaguar by ElectronAsh, hopfully he decides one day to finalise it.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

We should be happy about what has been accomplished so far.

Seems like the remaining work is mainly about polish. Easier said than done, but Laxer and Ultra did get a lot done. Whoever decides to pick this up will be in a much better position than he would have been otherwise.
Televicious

Unread post by Televicious »

PikWik wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 am fingers crossed this core gets a beta release in the next couple years.

Imagine once the psx core is finished using jotego ddr memory bandwidth and then jotego will go and port the DDR arcade using the psx core. 🤯
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Its a bit more than a regular Amiga 500. At least hardware wise. It supports remote controllers, and does not support regular mouse or joystick without an expansion.

Also its SCSI based. The CD drive runs over SCSI I think, and expanding it with a hard drive, uses SCSI as well. It also uses a special Kickstart for the boot screen and such.

Its probably not especially difficult to get to work though. I already has added some software ways of running some CDTV games using the Minimig core as it is now in some other threads, using special boot disks. But only some games work using that. I am surprised how much it relies on the CPU being a 68000 CPU. That explains why CDTV games wont run easily on an Amiga 1200.