Arkanoid - Can't rotate (Orientation Setting) using VGA output?

sofakng

Arkanoid - Can't rotate (Orientation Setting) using VGA output?

Unread post by sofakng »

I'm using the MiSTer in my arcade cabinet (15 kHz TV using DB15/VGA to Component)

The Arkanoid core has a setting called Orientation (Vert / Horz) but it doesn't seem to change the output. It seems like I need to enable the scaler but I was hoping for zero latency with the VGA direct output.
zakk4223

Re: Arkanoid - Can't rotate (Orientation Setting) using VGA output?

Unread post by zakk4223 »

You have to enable the scaler if you want vertical/horizontal rotation. The VGA direct output is basically like being 'direct from the arcade board' and the board had no such feature.
sofakng

Re: Arkanoid - Can't rotate (Orientation Setting) using VGA output?

Unread post by sofakng »

Thanks for the reply.

If I enable the VGA scaler than I also need to set a video_mode, right? How do I figure out the correct video_mode information to use?

Is there a better way to use the MiSTer in my arcade cabinet (with a TV/monitor that can't be rotated)? I'm aware of the direct_video mode (to send core timings over HDMI) but I don't think this will help me either?

My goal is to achieve the lowest latency and most accurate video signal/timing as possible for all of the arcade cores.

EDIT: It looks like Arkanoid uses 256x225, 15.63 kHz, 59.2 Hz. How do I generate the closest mode line to use with rotation?