JT CPS 1.5 and 2 cores: No HDMI audio.

Greyfield

JT CPS 1.5 and 2 cores: No HDMI audio.

Unread post by Greyfield »

Hi all,

New MiSTer user here, so apologies if there is an obvious answer I'm missing. I recently tried to get a few CPS1.5 and CPS2 arcade games running using Jotego's cores (e.g., https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/tree/master/mister/cps2), but I don't have audio in those games over my HDMI cable to my modern Samsung TV. Two examples of games without audio include Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom and Street Fighter Alpha 3. To note, I found versions of the ROMs that match the MAME version in the game specific MRA files.

I don't have this problem with JT's GNG and CPS1 core. I also don't have any audio issues with console systems or other arcade cores.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I unfortunately don't have a optical input (only output) on my TV, so it's difficult for me to test if there's audio coming out at all on these games.

Many thanks in advance for your input,

EDIT: Updated to reflect that the audio issue affects me on both JT's CPS1.5 and CPS2 cores, but not his GNG and CPS1 cores.
ExCyber

Re: JT CPS2: No HDMI audio

Unread post by ExCyber »

I used to have a similar problem with the Neo Geo core (although this was on an older PC monitor with internal speakers, not a modern TV). In that case, the problem was somehow tied to the change in display timings. Switching to another input and back or power cycling the monitor after loading the core fixed it. At some point it stopped happening; I might have changed vsync_adjust at that point, but I don't remember.
Greyfield

Re: JT CPS 1.5 and 2 cores: No HDMI audio.

Unread post by Greyfield »

Thanks for the reply, ExCyber!

After checking which games were causing the issues above, which turns out to be all of my CPS1.5 and CPS2 games, I realized that they all have the QSound intro. After a quick skim of posts searching for that and then looking at the core readme, I realized I was missing the QSound driver rom, qsound.zip.

Everything works great now that that is in the games/mame directory. I'll leave this post up in case anyone else searches for a similar issue. I've been using emulators prior to the MiSTer, which apparently had the QSound functionality included.