Does the Update All script *really* update all?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Does the Update All script *really* update all?

Unread post by rhester72 »

Specifically, when used, do you need to run the 'regular'/official MiSTer updater script any longer for updates to official cores and Main, or does Update All truly update everything?
kfreiberg

Re: Does the Update All script *really* update all?

Unread post by kfreiberg »

From the GitHub page:

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

All-in-one script for keeping up-to-date with the MiSTer ecosystem.

This script chains the following scripts:

1. Main MiSTer Updater. Downloads most of cores and firmware. You are able to select between these two options:
- Official Main MiSTer Updater maintained by Locutus73 in the MiSTer-devel organization.
- DB9 Fork Main MiSTer Updater with Extended Native Controller Compatibility for Genesis and NeoGeo/Supergun controllers. Requires SNAC8 compatible adapter.

2. Jotego Cores Updater. Downloads many advanced cores made by Jotego.

3. Unofficial Cores Updater. Downloads some cores that are not yet released but are fairly stable. Disabled by default.

4. LLAPI Cores Updater. Downloads LLAPI cores which are compatible with BlisSTer and LLAMA. Disabled by default.

5. BIOS Getter download bios for your installed systems from https://archive.org/

6. MAME and HBMAME Getter download roms from https://archive.org/

7. Names TXT Updater. Downloads a community curated names.txt file that enables better core names in the menus.

8. Arcade Organizer. Creates a folder structure under _Arcade/_Organized for easy navigation to all the MRA files.
rhester72 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm Specifically, when used, do you need to run the 'regular'/official MiSTer updater script any longer for updates to official cores and Main, or does Update All truly update everything?
So to answer your general question, you do not need to run the regular updater if you use this script.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Thank you!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

rhester72 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:21 pm Specifically, when used, do you need to run the 'regular'/official MiSTer updater script any longer for updates to official cores and Main, or does Update All truly update everything?
No it leaves all Microsoft products alone (does not like MS :twisted: ).
PS4/5/nintendo switch and linux distros can be in danger though :mrgreen:
badvision

Unread post by badvision »

Every time I run it, the cat acts weird for about ten minutes. I'm just not going to ask questions.
ANARCHY_MIKE

Unread post by ANARCHY_MIKE »

Is there a way to do an integrity or checksum check? I swear sometimes the files I download somehow ends up being corrupted. (I think the ROM files?)
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Would you advocate they rename it "update_most", hm?

I am playing :) AFAIK it'll update A LOT but Jotago (and PC cores such as the AO486?) need a little bit of manual direction for update all to recognize those updates. Now Jotego has updated his cores to make update_all more efficient at grabbing his stuff. That said, update all is really useful.
Dreams don't die!
Zarkov

Unread post by Zarkov »

So I built a mister and after the MRfusion img was done, I then used the update all script, and not the normal update script. In my scripts dir, many scripts (like the midilink_updater script) were missing until I ran the normal update script. So, I'm not so sure the update all is including the exact same normal update script. I'm new to mister and I figure it may be useful info to share this small thing I noticed.

The fact this happened makes me not sure which update script to run periodically or if I should just run both. I assume there couldn't be any harm to run both. ?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Zarkov wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:09 pm So I built a mister and after the MRfusion img was done, I then used the update all script, and not the normal update script. In my scripts dir, many scripts (like the midilink_updater script) were missing until I ran the normal update script. So, I'm not so sure the update all is including the exact same normal update script. I'm new to mister and I figure it may be useful info to share this small thing I noticed.

The fact this happened makes me not sure which update script to run periodically or if I should just run both. I assume there couldn't be any harm to run both. ?
You are correct, update_all does not contain all of the scripts. theypsilon is testing them and adding them as needed. Here is the repository that contains what update_all adds for the Official MiSTer updater portion of the script --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distribution_MiSTer/ - he also maintains this repo. You can raise an issue there for requests if you like.
birdybro~
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

I recently upgraded to a larger SD card and noticed "update_all.sh" was missing even though "update_all_keep_linux_nice.sh" was there and calls "update_all.sh". Anybody know why it was left out?
LockeBoss

Unread post by LockeBoss »

Is there a way to not download all with update all?
I dont want all the cores and only update the ones i already have.

I did try to edit "fat/downloader.ini" like https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Downloa ... filters.md told me to.
Every time i try to run the "download.sh" it says it cant use the filters i set "have you misspellt them?".
The strings i used are some from https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distribution_MiSTer/ via copy paste.

Like:

Code: Select all

[mister]
filter = ao486 atari7800 filters gameboy gba sms snes
Any ideas what i am doing wrong?
Would be nice if the update_all script would get a simple "just update existing cores" option.