Recent Linux Update Caused Issues With Input Devices

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
df843

Recent Linux Update Caused Issues With Input Devices

Unread post by df843 »

My mister has been working flawlessly but yesterday i noticed my wi-fi was not working. After troubleshooting i found that since the linux update, the dongle i was using ( TL-WN725N which nedded a module installation) required a new module to work on the new 5.13.12. Since i dont have the skill to compile it myself, i bought a new dongle which has been working fine.

However, after reformatting my sd card and updating everything through update all i noticed that both my usb keyboard and 8bitdo sf30 controller (connected to a asus bt400 dongle) were giving false inputs. If i press up on the main and core menus, it starts going up as if my finger is stuck on the button requiring a reboot. I tried disconnecting everything except the usb keyboard and the same problem persisted which made me think it is not the dongles. Finally, i decided to revert the linux folder back to the previous version and the issues are gone which confirmed to me that this linux update broke some things (including the wi-fi dongle i previously mentioned). Just to be sure, i picked up the sd card i used when i initially got the mister, which had no issue with the dongles and input devices, and updated it with the update.sh script and the same problems manifested on reboot, while they worked perfectly fine before.

I have since disabled linux updates on the update_all script but tought i should report this in hopes this might be fixed and i can update in the future.
Also, is there something you guys advise me to do to get around the issue but still get the bennefit of a fully update linux build? Or am i stuck with the disable option on the linux builds?
Thanks!
zakk4223

Re: Recent Linux Update Caused Issues With Input Devices

Unread post by zakk4223 »

Do you happen to be using a Blister instead of a usb hub?
nakamurahdj

Unread post by nakamurahdj »

Hi all,
Just to add another "witness" for this, it's happening the same with me and my keyboard (Logitech K400), after the linux update.
I'm using a regular usb hub. I noticed this was happening on a game on the spectrum core, where my character would not stop jumping.
df843

Unread post by df843 »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 am Do you happen to be using a Blister instead of a usb hub?
I am using a blisster. Is there something i can do to fix the issue?
paaco

Unread post by paaco »

Well, my 3-port MicroUSB-OTG hub from Aliexpress (USB id 0a05:7211) worked before but keeps disconnecting continuously with 20210825+.
I switched to a Speedlink Snappy Slim 4-port hub (14cd:8601) to be able to use my USB keyboard, mouse and gamepad again.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Linux release 20210831 uses the same USB host driver as older 4.xx Kernels, so most new USB issues should be fixed.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Sorgelig wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:45 pm Linux release 20210831 uses the same USB host driver as older 4.xx Kernels, so most new USB issues should be fixed.
Hi Sorg. I tried updating Linux with yesterday's release and am still having issues with my powered USB hub and all the peripherals connected to it. I actually have two DE-10 Nano devices. One is a couple of years old and the other was purchased in the last few months. The hub/peripherals do work on the older device with the update. However, they don't work on the newer device. I read in a different post that Terasic changed the functionality of the OTG micro USB port at some point. It used to allow power from the USB hub to power the DE-10 Nano, but now it doesn't. Could the differences be to blame for the fact that my newer device won't recognize the hub/peripherals?
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

df843 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:27 am However, after reformatting my sd card and updating everything through update all i noticed that both my usb keyboard and 8bitdo sf30 controller (connected to a asus bt400 dongle) were giving false inputs. If i press up on the main and core menus, it starts going up as if my finger is stuck on the button requiring a reboot. I tried disconnecting everything except the usb keyboard and the same problem persisted which made me think it is not the dongles.
The repeated inputs issue has been going on for months now, at least with the 8bitdo M30 2.4g controllers. Its always hit or miss when I turn on my mister, which, out of the four M30 controllers I have will have the issue.
Merlkir

Unread post by Merlkir »

I talked about this on Discord, but I figured I'd put it here as well. I have one of Antonio Villena's first Mister builds, which uses an external USB hub:

https://aliexpress.com/item/4001240947956.html

Even with the most up to date version, the USB hub is just dead. It seems to power on (? I think. The LEDs light up), but none of the plugged in devices (kb, mouse, WIFI) work.
raibol1

Unread post by raibol1 »

Same for me, i have also an early build from antonio villena with this usb hub.
It is dead since linux updates 250821+
older version is fine
zakk4223

df843 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:36 pm
zakk4223 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 am Do you happen to be using a Blister instead of a usb hub?
I had the same issue with my blister. There's something broken in the new update that makes the kernel go absolutely nuts trying to deal with 'blissbox' ports. My log is full of this:

[ 1247.607320] hid-generic 0003:16D0:0D04.030A: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -53

The two bliss port devices will appear and disappear from the system constantly too. The kernel's usb worker thread also starts using a bunch of CPU, which contributes to the whole Mister performing terribly.

I put this in /media/fat/linux/u-boot.txt
usbcore.quirks=16d0:0d04:nogeba

It doesn't 'fix' the problem, the ports still disconnect/reconnect all the time (but it never reaches the 'userland' level) but it removes the high cpu usage of the kernel thread and the MiSTer process no longer gets spammed with disconnect/reconnect events. So it hides the issue and makes the MiSTer usable again.

I kinda 'shotgunned' the quirks value so I have no idea which one(s) may have actually fixed it.

I'm not sure if this will cause an issue with the llapi use of those ports; I don't use that functionality so I have no way to know. The plain USB hub part does function.

The old linux version didn't have this issue, it was introduced with the latest update.
df843

Unread post by df843 »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:34 pm
df843 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:36 pm
I had the same issue with my blister. There's something broken in the new update that makes the kernel go absolutely nuts trying to deal with 'blissbox' ports. My log is full of this:

[ 1247.607320] hid-generic 0003:16D0:0D04.030A: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -53

The two bliss port devices will appear and disappear from the system constantly too. The kernel's usb worker thread also starts using a bunch of CPU, which contributes to the whole Mister performing terribly.

I put this in /media/fat/linux/u-boot.txt
usbcore.quirks=16d0:0d04:nogeba

It doesn't 'fix' the problem, the ports still disconnect/reconnect all the time (but it never reaches the 'userland' level) but it removes the high cpu usage of the kernel thread and the MiSTer process no longer gets spammed with disconnect/reconnect events. So it hides the issue and makes the MiSTer usable again.

I kinda 'shotgunned' the quirks value so I have no idea which one(s) may have actually fixed it.

I'm not sure if this will cause an issue with the llapi use of those ports; I don't use that functionality so I have no way to know. The plain USB hub part does function.

The old linux version didn't have this issue, it was introduced with the latest update.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I spent the afternoon investigating and i might have a solution.
I only just found out that the Blisster needs FW updates and found the blisster_update script (just by gogling you will find it). After updating the blisster and then updating the mister to the new linux build, everything seems to be working fine with the great addition of having my previous wi-fi dongle working out of the box thanks to Sorgelig's introduction of the rtl8188eu in the most recent Mister update.

I too only use the blisster as a usb hub so i have no way of checking if the llapi features work correctly but so far so good!

So thank you Zakk4223 for pointing me in the right direction :)
zakk4223

I never thought to give the firmware update a try because the devices kept dropping on and off. I'll try it and see if it works for me too! Although I ended up ordering an 'official' usb hub because I only used the blister because it had a power switch (which broke anyways.....)
mt32pi

Unread post by mt32pi »

In my case, the usb issue was resolved after the blisster update. (blisster user)
df843

Unread post by df843 »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 pm I never thought to give the firmware update a try because the devices kept dropping on and off. I'll try it and see if it works for me too! Although I ended up ordering an 'official' usb hub because I only used the blister because it had a power switch (which broke anyways.....)
Someone on the classic gaming discord had a similar issue just now and the blisster update solved it. Give it a try and probably it will also solve your issue.

Yeah the blisster power button is useful but looks a bit fragile. Do you have a v1 or v2 board? The v2 has a bigger and (hopefuly) stronger switch.
NerdENerd

Unread post by NerdENerd »

I have 6 hubs here, 3 are the same two port OTG micro USB 2 hub, none work on the latest version all work on a downgrade. A cheap 4 port USB 2 hub, doesn't work on latest does on downgrade. I have a 3 port USB 3 hub with ethernet works on upgrade. Cheap 4 port USB 3 hub works on upgrade. So it seems my USB 3 hubs work and my USB 2 hubs don't.