Manage Favorites via OSD

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
clarkkent

Manage Favorites via OSD

Unread post by clarkkent »

A request for the MiSTer GUI: an option to manage favorites (like in MAME frontends). At the moment I can only create a new folder and copy all my favorites into it - but there should be a way to do this within the OSD.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Manage Favorites via OSD

Unread post by jca »

You don't have to copy your roms, just make symlinks.
clarkkent

Or Symlinks - but it would be much nicer to manage favorites via OSD
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This could probably be done by making some changes in Main_MiSTer where a hotkey combination was used when a certain file was selected, then it would place a symlink to it in a Favorites folder in that system's games folder. But then that favorites folder would have to be there in the first place, so the updater script would have to be updated. Seems like a lot of work to me for a little bit of space savings. It's not inherently a bad idea though.
birdybro~
clarkkent

As I do not remember every of my favorite games on every system, it doesn’t matter if it takes some space to create links. It would only be good to have a OSD function to add them to a special list or to be able to mark files in any way as favorites. I would prefer a separate favorites list.
rafael

Unread post by rafael »

That would be a great feature to have... I understand it can be achieved using symlinks but it would definitely be much more convenient to be available from the menu.
clarkkent

If symlinks are the simpliest method, maybe creating them within the OSD to a user specified folder would do the trick?
keilmillerjr

Unread post by keilmillerjr »

I thought that mister project uses the exfat filesystem, and exfat file system does not support symlinks?
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

I don't know the details, but my understanding is that while there's no defined representation of a symlink in exFAT, MiSTer's driver has a hack to support them in a non-standard way.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Putting them in a favorites sub-folder of a core's game folder sounds like a good idea.

Having a 'favorite' option in the core menu would be the most user-friendly, if it doesn't add too much clutter. If it has to be a key combination, then maybe windows-d (or with more modifier keys), similar to bookmarking with ctrl-d in a browser.
mitchelln

Unread post by mitchelln »

I think this would be a very useful feature. I've got hundreds of games available over many systems, so having a quick way to tag a game as a favorite for quick access from the top menu would be great.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

keilmillerjr wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:18 am I thought that mister project uses the exfat filesystem, and exfat file system does not support symlinks?
the Arcade Organizer script uses symlinks quite extensively, so that shouldn't be an issue.