LXDE Linux GUI

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Caldor
Top Contributor

LXDE Linux GUI

Unread post by Caldor »

There is the LXDE you can run and have Linux on the MiSTer, which I always liked. Makes it easier to do filehandling stuff on the MiSTer itself and maybe run some thing directly on the ARM.

But is it just me or has this stopped working? Anyone know how to get LXDE running?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: LXDE Linux GUI

Unread post by bbond007 »

Caldor wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 pm There is the LXDE you can run and have Linux on the MiSTer, which I always liked. Makes it easier to do filehandling stuff on the MiSTer itself and maybe run some thing directly on the ARM.

But is it just me or has this stopped working? Anyone know how to get LXDE running?
I had not booted LXDE in a very long time, but I just did and it seems like its still working on both RGB and HDMI with latest updates.

I'd try and replace "lxde_zImage_dtb" & "lxde_linux.img" in the "/media/fat/linux" directory. Maybe one or the other is corrupt.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

bbond007 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 pm
Caldor wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 pm There is the LXDE you can run and have Linux on the MiSTer, which I always liked. Makes it easier to do filehandling stuff on the MiSTer itself and maybe run some thing directly on the ARM.

I had not booted LXDE in a very long time, but I just did and it seems like its still working on both RGB and HDMI with latest updates.

I'd try and replace "lxde_zImage_dtb" & "lxde_linux.img" in the "/media/fat/linux" directory. Maybe one or the other is corrupt.
Hmmm, I was wondering where to put the Linux folder and I put it in the games folder. Isnt the other Linux folder the one that is used by the MiSTer in general? So it replaces those files? Or maybe I had just copied these files already?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Caldor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:11 am Hmmm, I was wondering where to put the Linux folder and I put it in the games folder. Isnt the other Linux folder the one that is used by the MiSTer in general? So it replaces those files? Or maybe I had just copied these files already?
The ones used by the MiSTer are zImage_dtb and linux.img so that is not in conflict as the LXDE kernel and disk image are prefixed with "lxde_"

Anyway, the install instructions say to "Extract the archive to the root of MiSTer SD card FAT partition" -->
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ktop-Linux

If you followed those instructions then the kernel and disk image would be put into media/fat/linux/

If you edited the various LXDE_ .TXT files then I suppose you could have those files in "Games", but by having them in both places you are wasting over 3GB.

LXDE_1024x768x32bpp.txt:

Code: Select all

bootimage=/linux/lxde_zImage_dtb
mmcboot=setenv bootargs altvipfb.video_mode=1 console=ttyS0,115200 $v loop.max_part=8 root=$mmcroot loop=linux/lxde_linux.img rw rootwait;bootz $loadaddr - $fdt_addr
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Awesome. I will try this later and see if I do not end up having a Linux desktop for my MiSTer again.