Black screen after latest update

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Darthcustom

Black screen after latest update

Unread post by Darthcustom »

Hi,

I just updated my MiSTer with update_all and Linux got updated. The MiSTer is booting up, I can connect with ssh, but screen is BLACK. I tried couple of scripts like video_settings_compatibility.sh, and nothing changes.

Anyone did update successfully? Should I just reset the SD Card and start from scratch?

Thanks and regards
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Black screen after latest update

Unread post by aberu »

1. download this --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... 0210906.7z

2. Unzip it on your PC

3. copy the linux folder inside over the linux folder on your microSD from the MiSTer. Do an overwrite.

See if that fixes it.
birdybro~
Darthcustom

Unread post by Darthcustom »

Thanks, this solved the problem. Then I did a new update and seems to work. I guess may be the previous updated got corrupted or something.....

Thanks
darcagn

Unread post by darcagn »

aberu wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:40 pm 1. download this --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... 0210906.7z

2. Unzip it on your PC

3. copy the linux folder inside over the linux folder on your microSD from the MiSTer. Do an overwrite.

See if that fixes it.
I had this same problem and followed these steps and it didn't fix it until I also copied the MiSTer binary file from that 7z archive and overwrote the existing one at /media/fat/MiSTer on the SD card. Now things are working properly.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

darcagn wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:47 pm
aberu wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:40 pm 1. download this --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... 0210906.7z

2. Unzip it on your PC

See if that fixes it.
I had this same problem and followed these steps and it didn't fix it until I also copied the MiSTer binary file from that 7z archive and overwrote the existing one at /media/fat/MiSTer on the SD card. Now things are working properly.
Which one is the Mister binary file? Is it the RBF file?
Dreams don't die!
darcagn

Unread post by darcagn »

Captain FPGA wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:33 amWhich one is the Mister binary file? Is it the RBF file?
It's the file named "MiSTer" with no file extension.
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Oh No! the covid screen of death!
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

FatSlob71 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:43 pm Oh No! the covid screen of death!
Since your MiSTer seems to be suffering from long Covid, I'd suggest to wash it thoroughly inside-out, rinse it with copious amounts of water, and then push a 1000 mg Ivermectin suppository via the SD slot.
Captain FPGA

lamarax wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:34 pm
FatSlob71 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:43 pm Oh No! the covid screen of death!
Since your MiSTer seems to be suffering from long Covid, I'd suggest to wash it thoroughly inside-out, rinse it with copious amounts of water, and then push a 1000 mg Ivermectin suppository via the SD slot.
Lol nice guys.

I finally managed to update all however the keyboard problem for the blisster persists. I already went into the update all settings and turned on LLAPI but the thing keeps acting wacky. I plugged the keyboard into my computer to make sure it's not the problem and all is normal there.

Unplugging and replugging fixes the problem until I activate a core. Upon core activation the thing scrolls on it's own without me pressing any arrow keys. Is there a button on the blisster that needs to be pressed or something that would fix this?
Dreams don't die!
twotone8

Unread post by twotone8 »

You might try updating the firmware on your BlisSTer. That seems to be solving the issues for most folks who have never updated their firmware before.

Remember to do both ports, as described in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK39W--vClc
Captain FPGA

twotone8 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:43 pm You might try updating the firmware on your BlisSTer. That seems to be solving the issues for most folks who have never updated their firmware before.

Remember to do both ports, as described in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK39W--vClc
This looks like it should work. I'll try it soon as I'm done converting my video.
Dreams don't die!
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

darcagn wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:47 pm

2. Unzip it on your PC

See if that fixes it.
I also had this problem - ran update all, afterwards no picture, my TV reporting no signal over hdmi. I was able to browse the SD card over the network and also connect Bluetooth devices. I copied only the mister binary file over the one on the card and that fixed it. Didn’t copy the Linux directory.
SSR852

Unread post by SSR852 »

Same issue here but the replacement of the MiSTER and the linux folder didn't change anything. I will do a clean re-install then :-/
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

SSR852 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:18 am Same issue here but the replacement of the MiSTER and the linux folder didn't change anything. I will do a clean re-install then :-/
I ran into the same issues. Clean re-install is a bit drastic, perhaps you can try this first: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=39314#p39314