Default gamma in MiSTer.ini not possible?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Eicar

Default gamma in MiSTer.ini not possible?

Unread post by Eicar »

Hi,

Is it possible to specify a default gamma profile to be used in MiSTer.ini?
It would be nice to have a gamma_default= setting like there's one for vfilter_default= and afilter_default=

I also thinks there's an issue with % not being supported in paths in MiSTer.ini, so filters like "Scanlines (Bright)/Brightness 130%/xxx" can't be specified?
Do I need to escape the % character somehow?

-Eicar
darksakul

Re: Default gamma in MiSTer.ini not possible?

Unread post by darksakul »

I don't think possible to have a Global gamma profile for the MiSTer at this time.
The Gamma filters are built as per core as some people found not every core needs a Gamma filter, and those who do not always use the same filter.

Not every core needs the same tweaks, some look better with certain settings in mind and doesn't work in others.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
taz07rx

Unread post by taz07rx »

I jump into this topic as maybe now that there is a "video processing" menu in the mister with gamma besides the other options maybe it would be possible to be able to choose a default gamma .txt file in the mister.ini ?
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Yeah, I for one would like the ability to set a global video processing default, and override within each core if needed.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Agreed. The lack of a default gamma correction setting feels like an omission, since there are already default settings for other image options. It means I have to set it by hand in every single core.
she/her
Sigismond0

Wave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:05 pm Agreed. The lack of a default gamma correction setting feels like an omission, since there are already default settings for other image options. It means I have to set it by hand in every single core.
Are there default settings for the other image settings? As far as I can tell there's no way to set a default H/V filter or shadow mask.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

The features you mentioned are new / recently changed, and I don't think so. I was referring mainly to the old vfilter_default and such.
she/her
Sigismond0

Gotcha. In that case when those features get implemented with default ini settings, I would expect gamma to be included since they're all in the same menu.

Edit: Nevermind. Just pulled up the latest ini file from GitHub. Shadow masks, filter, and vfilter are all in there now. No gamma though.