High-school class based in MiSTer

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

High-school class based in MiSTer

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Earlier this year My Life in Gaming youtube channel ran a live fundraiser for Joey Versoza so that he could buy Misters for his entire high school classroom. He wanted to teach kids the history of video games, but also wanted an economical way to give them an accurate look at how the earliest games looked, sound, and played. Here's a brief article from the school giving a little insight into how the Misters were used in their first semester.
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: High-school class based in MiSTer

Unread post by akeley »

Sorry, but buying 27 full-stack MiSTers is not an "economical way" to teach a class about videogaming history. Bunch of RPis or school computers/laptops would do just fine.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The school had chromebooks and rightly concluded that they were a mess. Although I can't say that some Pi400s would've managed well enough for substantially cheaper. Still not the school's money so they didn't care, it was mostly funded from hardware enthusiasts watching MLiG's stream, and it was a damn sight cheaper than trying to restore and maintain real Apple IIs and the like.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

For me it's an example of "magical FPGA" thinking, plus "let's fundraise anything" internet thing, that I just don't buy into. MLiG and his subscribers should know better - that this is really an overkill for the task. Nevermind details such as the fact you can't save on Apple II core atm, so perhaps it's not the best way to experience Colossal Cave and other early Apple classics.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

prob cheaper to buy the original machines on ebay.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

This seems practical to me. Maintaining a fleet of MiSTer is easier than a bunch of RPis, and the kids can't browse the net and get distracted with Youtube.

The DE-10 has an educational discount, and they may have gotten a 32MB SDRAM expansions which is fairly cheap.