DE10 Nano

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
spankthemunkey1

DE10 Nano

Unread post by spankthemunkey1 »

Hi ladies and gents,

My first foray into the mister , i am after the DE10 nano and have found one on Digi-Key electronics, DE10-NANO CYCLONE V SE SOC KIT.
Is this the correct one please? i am in the UK.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/d ... 96/6817231
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: DE10 Nano

Unread post by Xbytez »

You are correct, that is the DE10 Nano you require for starting your MiSTer build.
mikekim

Unread post by mikekim »

Rather than just buying the base board (which would work in a limited kind of way)
you would probably be better looking at a solution from https://ultimatemister.com/ or https://misterfpga.co.uk/

(as you will also need extra memory and expansion boards.)
I picked up the Ultimate mister pro kit when i started, and it was simple to setup and get running
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

mikekim wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:59 am (as you will also need extra memory and expansion boards.)
You don't need the expansion boards.
mikekim

Unread post by mikekim »

akeley wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:11 pm
mikekim wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:59 am (as you will also need extra memory and expansion boards.)
You don't need the expansion boards.
Yes, You don't need the boards, but having them makes life easier, when you want more than one USB connected (without resorting to a standalone hub)

Also easy access to reset and OSD functions, and a dedicated line out for non HDMI audio.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

None of that is necessary for normal operations, and will cost you extra ~80 USD. It's a want, not need.
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

He just needs to inform himslef and choose what's the better option for him, there's no easier life or better choices. There are use case and different needs, you just need to understand what's best for your, there's plenty of different use and options nowadays.
spankthemunkey1

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated, I can now go ahead and order the DE10 now. When i was looking on Digikey site there were a few different versions , i thought i would just make sure.

I have ordered the expansion boards memory and a case and some odds and sods for it , I know it is a reasonably expensive start building the MiSTer but it is going to get my misses off of my back as i have a bit of retro gear that she wants me to get rid of because of space. Huhum . I just have some reading to do now.
cheers everyone
justaguy

Unread post by justaguy »

Duffygag wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:42 pm He just needs to inform himslef and choose what's the better option for him, there's no easier life or better choices. There are use case and different needs, you just need to understand what's best for your, there's plenty of different use and options nowadays.
True enough, but there's a lot to be said for starting with the bare essentials and learning what's best for you through hands-on experience. IMHO the only really essential add-on board is the SDRAM, and even that purchase can be postponed if someone wants to reduce the initial outlay--lots of cores play fine without it.
spankthemunkey1

just a quick update , i ordered my DE10 from Digkey, it was ordered monday evening . I am in the uk and it was despatched from USA , bloody hell it was here 11am today . 2 days from the states , excellent work by them.
Luckilly also my other bits are arriving tomorrow. Wooo Hooo fun times ahead
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Excellent! Have fun with it, and if you have any troubles don't hesitate to ask us, we'll help you out as best we can.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

I´m sad to say but don´t forget to eat and sleep :mrgreen:
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

The only thing you actually need other than the basic DE 10 NANO dev board is some sort of GTO USB adapter or GTO Hub.
And a USB Keyboard (mostly for initial setup) and a USB Game Pad (Bluetooth works too if you use a Bluetooth dongle).

The board comes with small Micro SD card, Switching power supply (people outside of the US will need a wall adapter), and some silicone feet that goes on the brass stand offs.

Only recommended add-on board you really want to use more of the cores is the SD Ram board. 32mb is good to start, 128 if you want the support with the complete Neo Geo rom set. And maybe a heatsink for the Main chip. Most people pair it up with a 40mm 5 volt PC or Raspberry Pi Fan.

RTC add on isn't necessary if you are connected to a network. I think only a handful of cores utilize the clock, AO486, Amiga, Game Boy/Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and maybe a few other computer cores.
The I/O board is convent but its just that and there two major variants, a Digital and Analog versions. Digital adds the Indicator lights, User buttons, place for a 40mm fan, the Snac expansion connector, 2nd SD card slot for a few rare Computer cores that needs it. The analog version adds in addition analog video out.
The USB board is just a Powered GTO USB Hub that designed to match up and fit the footprint of the existing DE10 Nano.

Cases are just optional, and mostly there for cosmetic purposes, and keeping debris out.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

OTG hub not GTO (thats a Pontiac!).
spankthemunkey1

Got my DE10 up and running , what a lovely little system it is. I just have to figure out how to install games/roms . its going to take me a while as i have no short term memory , but hey ho . will get there eventially . any good places i should look ?.
cheers
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

But if you have no short term memory then would´nt one rom/game be enough :?
:mrgreen:
spankthemunkey1

hahahaha