Looking for some help with my questions

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
kaboekieman

Looking for some help with my questions

Unread post by kaboekieman »

Hi all (and especially zakk4223 and/or anyone else)
do you know the answer of these 3 questions?

1.)
The Terasic DE10-Nano Development Board has 1GB DDR3 on-board, but to use all the cores an extra RAM chip (32-256MB) is used.
Is this because DDR3 is just to slow / too much latency?
And what type of ram is used for this extra chip?
Is there more information on this forum or the net regarding the practical use or this module in combination with the MiSTer FPGA (PCB wiring and/or schematics)?

2.)
"ScummVM is a reimplementation of the the Point-and-Click games by using the art and scripting assets in the game files. So does this mean if you want to play solely ScummVM games it has no advantage when using a FPGA the run these style of games instead of Linux SBC's like the pi??"

3.)
"Is it possible (with the MiSTer) to Save and Load game states (in-game) ?
I have an Anbernic RG351P (an excellent handheld) and this option is super nice to have, especially in the RPG games I'm playing now-a-days. In the earlies times (for example the arcade game 'The Goonies' on the C64 it was sometimes brutal to 'die' if you almost got to the end."

I hope you or someone has the time to answer these 3 questions. It's been on my mind sometime now ;)

Thanks so much and best wishes to all, Jeroen
MostroW

Re: Looking for some help with my questions

Unread post by MostroW »

most if not all questions you ask here are on the MiSTer Wiki, i'd advise reading through these and most likely most if not all of your questions will be answered.
AngelicLiver

Re: Looking for some help with my questions

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

1. Some cores require very tight timings that DDR3 cannot provide. SDRAM, you can read about it on the wiki here and there are schematics to build your own here. The cores are all open source, take a look for yourself? Perhaps start with Neo Geo? There are links to the Github repos for each core from the wiki.
  2. ScummVM could be considered a software interpreter or an executable replacement for the games it supports. It can run on the Linux portion of the MiSTer project and does not utilise the FPGA. Running a native binary of Monkey Island in the Atari ST or AO486 core will run as if they were on their original hardware.
  3. Yes, there are already cores that can use save states. FPGAzumSpass has implemented them in many of his cores (GBA, GB, Playstation, NES). It is not trivial to add and is quite an achievement.