Can You Change Core Settings Before Starting the Core?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Fuzzball

Can You Change Core Settings Before Starting the Core?

Unread post by Fuzzball »

I've had situations with both the minimig core and the macplus core where I have them setup to boot from a hard drive image. Minimig booting into Workbench 1.3 and macplus booting from the macpack. However, there are times when I want to insert a disk and boot from that instead and I can't work out how to insert a disk before starting the core. Instead I start the core, wait for the OS to load, insert the disk and then reboot the core. Is it possible to insert disks (and possibly change other settings) before the core starts and boots from the hard drive image?

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Can You Change Core Settings Before Starting the Core?

Unread post by bazza_12 »

do you mean, like a boot order? if no disk is inserted, boot from hard-drive?
i'm not sure you can do that, but it sounds like your hard drive file is in the startup slot, if you save it to another save config slot, and in the startup slot leave the disk option empty and save it.. then it will boot to the 'hand' insert disk screen where you can f12 and insert a disc.. if any of that makes sense..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Fuzzball

bazza_12 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:56 pm

do you mean, like a boot order? if no disk is inserted, boot from hard-drive?
i'm not sure you can do that, but it sounds like your hard drive file is in the startup slot, if you save it to another save config slot, and in the startup slot leave the disk option empty and save it.. then it will boot to the 'hand' insert disk screen where you can f12 and insert a disc.. if any of that makes sense..

I'll look into save slots thanks. I really only know the basics of using this thing.

Edit: Thanks. I see the save slots on the minimig core and can see how that could be used. However, the macplus core doesn't have save slots and nor is it really what I was looking for. I'll try and explain. I want to keep the setup as it is. i.e. normally it would boot from the hard drive. However, I was looking for the option to instead of pressing enter to start the core, press a different key that just brings up the settings dialog for that core and allows you to insert a floppy disk before starting. So yes a boot order of sorts I guess. With the macplus core what you have to do is start the core (with the macpack I installed) which boots the mac os from a hard drive image I believe and also has another supplementary hard drive attached. After that has booted I have to attach a floppy disk image and then reboot the core. This is quite annoyinf because mac os takes quite a while to load.

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Fuzzball wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:25 pm

...I was looking for the option to instead of pressing enter to start the core, press a different key that just brings up the settings dialog for that core and allows you to insert a floppy disk before starting.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to launch a core's settings without first loading the core because the core itself contains the information for the settings options/menu.
Maybe there is a way to create another "Mac" entry using mgl that will accomplish what you need?

Fuzzball

Flandango wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:44 pm
Fuzzball wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:25 pm

...I was looking for the option to instead of pressing enter to start the core, press a different key that just brings up the settings dialog for that core and allows you to insert a floppy disk before starting.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to launch a core's settings without first loading the core because the core itself contains the information for the settings options/menu.
Maybe there is a way to create another "Mac" entry using mgl that will accomplish what you need?

Thanks. That's fine. If it can't be done then it can't be done. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

thiagoauler

Unread post by thiagoauler »

Hi, there is way to accomplish what you need.
You should create an MGL file for the core you need the alternative configuration. (https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... anced/mgl/)

Using mgl you can start a core and have specific setup for it, it’s like MiSTer sees it like a “new” core.
You could have the original core for general use, and create and mgl for using the core with an HD attached.