xbox 360 controller- mapping for menu button not working

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
petarku

xbox 360 controller- mapping for menu button not working

Unread post by petarku »

Hi everyone,
I have problem with assigning menu to any button of the xbox 360 wireless controller connected to mister using microsoft dongle and official usb hub. No matter what i assign to menu button in the define joystick buttons in main menu it is not working after.
My scenario : define menu button to RT (for example , but i tried , combination of 2 buttons etc) in main menu ,
start minimig core
try to access the menu using RT , it is not working
all other assigns working fine , menu ok , menu back , just show menu is not ..
Menu is working normally when i use keyboard and press F12
I remember this was working before, so i dont know if was broken meanwhile or I am doing something crazy.

anyone using same wireless xbox 360 dongle if you can confirm that it is working for you,
i would really like to sort this out so i dont need to use keyboard.

I am on latest of everything , just updated using the scripts.
darksakul

Re: xbox 360 controller- mapping for menu button not working

Unread post by darksakul »

Try the game pad and dongle on another system
Like a Windows PC.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Like Darksakul said does it work on other systems?

Even if you get it working i would not use a 360 controller anyway, the D-pad is soooooooo bad on them.
If it is not the worst D-pad in history it´s at least top 5!
Get an xbone controller instead is my tip of the day.
petarku

Unread post by petarku »

I dont know if i wasnt really clear so let me try to explain again.
gamepad is working fine in the games , on mister and on other systems (windows and xbox 360) problem is just in mapping of the button that will invoke mister menu on the controller. whatever i map to that , it is not working later to bring the menu
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

I have the same issue. I cant configure a button to replace the F12 from keyboard.
And regarding the d-pad.. either i'm used to it or its not that bad at all, cause i find it precise and fast in response. (even being wireless)

I will try the Xbone one, but i dont like the usb connection hanging from the controller (and i can't connect it wirelessly)
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

No problems with my 360 wireless controller. Menu button maps to the round orb thing in the middle. I also had Menu mapped on the right trigger at one point.
petarku

Unread post by petarku »

@_javi so i am not the only one with the issue. Good to know.
I am wondering what we are doing differently than @Fallon as i tried to map it to the round orb and all triggers. It is interesting that everything is mapped perfectly to any other action (back , menu ok for example) except show menu.
Rawls

Unread post by Rawls »

I'm having the same issue on my 8bitdo M30.

The controller works perfectly in every other respect. I can use it to navigate the menu properly once it is open (using F12 or the analog board OSD button) and it works well in each of the cores to play games.

A few months ago opening the menu from the controller worked fine.

Now, regardless of what I assign the menu button to (I've tried assigning it to several different buttons and button combinations) nothing happens when I push it. I've tried repairing it a few times but that hasn't made any difference.

F12 on my keyboard and the OSD button on my analog board both work normally.

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm pretty stumped.
petarku

Unread post by petarku »

this is quite annoying issue, as i need to bring keyboard all the time down when i want to play with mister on the tv. I hope it will be fixed soon
Rawls

Unread post by Rawls »

I've tried both D-Input mode and X-Input mode and that hasn't made a difference.

I've also noticed that the button I have assigned as the menu button opens the Start Menu in Windows 95, so it's sending some kind of input (just not the one that actually opens the menu).
petarku

Unread post by petarku »

@rawls yes i have same experience , i have xbox 360 at home so i know that all buttons are working. and everything was working on the mister way back so i think something got messed up in the update. If i get time i will delete my xbox 360 controller config completely and start from scratch and see if that helps.
petarku

Unread post by petarku »

i just deleted all config and defined again all of the buttons. Menu button wasnt working on start , but after few resets it is working now , i can map menu to button ,i have mapped select+start combo and it is working
Rawls

Unread post by Rawls »

That's great, what config did you delete?

The contents of /media/fat/config/inputs or something else?
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

Rawls wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:27 pm I'm having the same issue on my 8bitdo M30.

The controller works perfectly in every other respect. I can use it to navigate the menu properly once it is open (using F12 or the analog board OSD button) and it works well in each of the cores to play games.

A few months ago opening the menu from the controller worked fine.

Now, regardless of what I assign the menu button to (I've tried assigning it to several different buttons and button combinations) nothing happens when I push it. I've tried repairing it a few times but that hasn't made any difference.

F12 on my keyboard and the OSD button on my analog board both work normally.

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm pretty stumped.
I’m having an issue with my 8 bit do wired controller. It doesn’t work since the recent Linux updates - I’m not sure what to do , I’ve tried plugging into different ports on the usb hub
petarku

Unread post by petarku »

@Rawls yes i deleted all from media/fat/config/inputs and configured it again. at first didnt look like it is working but after few resets it starts working. There is still some strange behaviour as i get some drops in connection to my xbox wireless receiver that i have not seen before but that could be only my setup, anyway the menu is appearing so try it out.
Tacoguy125

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

USB devices can be finicky with the power supply that comes with the DE10. Could be that. For example I had a wifi dongle that would work and then wouldn't. Works without issue with a new power supply now. I have a 360 wireless dongle and controller. I'll try later this afternoon.
Tacoguy125

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

Tried it. I think I may have similar behavior.
When I mapped the buttons at first I could not map that center button or start/select as a 2 button combo. I tried again this time skipping tilt/mouse etc and only mapping dpad. I was able to map a menu key after that. Hope this helps.