SNAC DB9 Issue with IO Board 6.1

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
xchester77

SNAC DB9 Issue with IO Board 6.1

Unread post by xchester77 »

I'm new to SNAC, but I'm pretty sure I get how it works.

I have 2 MiSTer setups.

One has IO Board 6.1, and the other has an IO board from china that has the Sega Saturn 10 pin DIN for output.

I have the following SNAC adapters

NES
SNES
PCE
TG16
Atari
Genesis/SMS

The Atari and Genesis SNAC adapters were purchased from misterfpga.co.uk. The others were obtained from ebay.

The Sega Saturn IO board works perfectly with all the SNAC adapters.

The IO Board 6.1 is only partially working with the Atari and Genesis adapters.

I have the IO Board 6.1 configured as shown here: https://misterfpga.co.uk/sega-genesis-c ... nac-setup/

Here is a summary of my issues with the Atari and Genesis adapters:

Core: Genesis

w/ Standard Sega Genesis 6 button controller - Start and Button C do not work

Button C does not work in 3 button or 6 button mode.

Core: SMS - Button 2 does not work

Core: Atari 7800 - Button does not work

It seems odd to me that it partially works.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: SNAC DB9 Issue with IO Board 6.1

Unread post by lamarax »

Please refer to a couple of threads below. I've had similar issues with a 6 button Genesis pad, which turned out to be me modding it with the cable from a retro-bit "repro" controller. That one was working alright with the BlisSTer and LLAPI cores, but it was highly erratic via SNAC with certain games [dpad dead, only A and/or B buttons responding etc], while with others it was fine. I'm lucky to have an OG 3 button (1650) MD pad, as well as a pristine second 6-button (1653-50), with which I's able to investigate what was going wrong.

Moral of the story; only and strictly use OEM input devices with SNAC on the 6.1 I/O board. Its tolerances are *tight*
xchester77

Thanks for the replies.

To be clear, I'm testing with real controllers;
I have Atari 7800 authentic controllers.

I resolved the issue with Genesis and SMS. My P7 connector was missing pin 10. I added this pin and Genesis/SMS work fine with Genesis 6 button or 3 button controllers. SMS also works fine with real SMS controller.

I've had no luck with 7800 but perhaps the 2600 adapter is not compatible with it? The seller seemed to indicate it should be but maybe I misunderstood.

I found an unofficial 2600 core with SNAC support and the adapter works fine with 7800 controller. Both buttons react the same, just as they do on a real 2600. also works with Genesis 6 button controller. B button acts as action button, just like real 2600.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

By "authentic" Atari 7800 controllers, do you mean this:
3959731.png
3959731.png (394.25 KiB) Viewed 15167 times
...or this:
ddk9xwn-ba464f3f-ff06-4ef0-b4aa-c34b00ca4a6b.png
ddk9xwn-ba464f3f-ff06-4ef0-b4aa-c34b00ca4a6b.png (161.16 KiB) Viewed 15167 times
?

There's no dedicated 2600 adapter as far as I know, unless you count the one that's intended to support paddles (i.e. the one with the 3.5 mm ADC jack), but the controllers pictured above :mrgreen: don't need it.
xchester77

I do mean those controllers. I actually have both of them. The game pad and the pain sick.

The adapter I have actually says 2600 on it, so that's why I questioned core compatibility. You can view the adapter in question here: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... -adapters/

Is anyone actually using 7800 core with SNAC successfully?

I will try a different SNAC main PCB when I have the opportunity.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

xchester77 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 pm Is anyone actually using 7800 core with SNAC successfully?
Yes

...or maybe no. Ya see, the 7800 core is not SNAC enabled :lol:
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Having trouble even finding an updated comprehensive list of which cores support SNAC!
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:30 am Having trouble even finding an updated comprehensive list of which cores support SNAC!
out of my hat:

NES
SNES
SMS
Genesis/Mega CD
Turbo/Super/MegaCore Grafx

...err, that's all that matters alright, isn't it? :lol:
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Right, that's what I've seen. Which means nothing for Atari 2600/7200?

I'm also wondering how MiST had built-in DB9 ports but Minimig / Atari ST cores don't seem to support SNAC?
xchester77

lamarax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 am
xchester77 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 pm Is anyone actually using 7800 core with SNAC successfully?
Yes

...or maybe no. Ya see, the 7800 core is not SNAC enabled :lol:
The 7800 core has SNAC enabled.
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:54 am Right, that's what I've seen. Which means nothing for Atari 2600/7200?

I'm also wondering how MiST had built-in DB9 ports but Minimig / Atari ST cores don't seem to support SNAC?
The reason is because mt32pi support. Both are sharing USER IO but when implemented the DB9 port was removed instead keep supporting by OSD configuration. We did well in our fork and both DB9 joystick and mt32pi are supported:

https://github.com/MiSTer-DB9/Minimig-AGA_MiSTer
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

So are you saying that SNAC DB9 is still there in official Minimig (and Atari ST?), just not usable with MIDI at the same time? Do I have to change the UART mode in OSD to enable SNAC, and to what? Just pick "none"? I'm having a hard time finding any documentation on this...
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:41 am So are you saying that SNAC DB9 is still there in official Minimig (and Atari ST?), just not usable with MIDI at the same time? Do I have to change the UART mode in OSD to enable SNAC, and to what? Just pick "none"? I'm having a hard time finding any documentation on this...
No. The official repository has the DB9 support removed. You have only the MIDI. I you want DB9 support go to older version. This is the latest with DB9 support:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... 201105.rbf
Blitzwing

Unread post by Blitzwing »

xchester77 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 pm I do mean those controllers. I actually have both of them. The game pad and the pain sick.

The adapter I have actually says 2600 on it, so that's why I questioned core compatibility. You can view the adapter in question here: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... -adapters/

Is anyone actually using 7800 core with SNAC successfully?

I will try a different SNAC main PCB when I have the opportunity.
Hi, I'm having a similar issue with my Megadrive controller too. Did you purchase your IO board from misterfpga.co.uk, and it had a missing pin?

If so I'm guessing that is what is up with mine too, not been able to check as I'm at work but suffice to say when I did try it right was forever being "pressed" C and start don't work, all other directions, A and B do work.
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

Blitzwing wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:03 pm I'm having a similar issue with my Megadrive controller too. Did you purchase your IO board from misterfpga.co.uk, and it had a missing pin?
If you are having issues with the Mega Drive controller check you have followed my setup guide here:

https://misterfpga.co.uk/sega-genesis-c ... nac-setup/

You do need to have the v6.1 IO board to support a Mega Drive controller, if you have v6.0 or earlier IO board you require a hardware mod for SEGA Mega Drive controllers to work. All v1.2 Digital IO boards support the Mega Drive with no mods.

Every IO board I have ever produced has the correct number of pins present on the header to support SNAC.

Personally I have found Mega Drive controllers with SNAC variable one working fine another not so, another tip is you should also try to make sure it is a genuine SEGA controller, not an after market version.

Hope this helps.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Blitzwing

Nat wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:54 pm
Blitzwing wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:03 pm I'm having a similar issue with my Megadrive controller too. Did you purchase your IO board from misterfpga.co.uk, and it had a missing pin?
If you are having issues with the Mega Drive controller check you have followed my setup guide here:

https://misterfpga.co.uk/sega-genesis-c ... nac-setup/

You do need to have the v6.1 IO board to support a Mega Drive controller, if you have v6.0 or earlier IO board you require a hardware mod for SEGA Mega Drive controllers to work. All v1.2 Digital IO boards support the Mega Drive with no mods.

Every IO board I have ever produced has the correct number of pins present on the header to support SNAC.

Personally I have found Mega Drive controllers with SNAC variable one working fine another not so, another tip is you should also try to make sure it is a genuine SEGA controller, not an after market version.

Hope this helps.
I figured you wouldn't send one out without missing pins, just running out of ideas. I went over various posts to see if I had done something wrong.

I made a separate post on the matter, the gist is.
Have SNAC adapters and board all purchased from yourselves, all have worked fine for months SNES, PC engine and NES. Just bought the MD one plugged it in and had issues, it's a v6.1 ioboard too, both jumpers are in place.

I can't say for definite it is a genuine controller but it was sold as one 😁 and it works perfectly with the DB9 to USB adapter I already have... Sounds just like SNAC can be a bit temperamental.

Thanks for your help.
Blitzwing

I think I've figured out that the problem maybe a distance related one that only affects Megadrive pads or my particular one.

My MiSTer is inside a Fractal Design Node 202 case with two front USB 3.0 ports, one connects to a HUB the other to the User I/O.

The user I/O connects to an angled male to female adapter around 20cm long, that connects to the SNAC board, a 0.5m long USB-A to internal header goes to the internal header, which then connects to the front panel, that connection is about 0.5M long too... Probably looking at a good two meters between the I/O port and the controller itself.

When I connect the MD adapter to the SNAC board directly most of the issues go away, although C and Start still don't work. I guess if I connected the SNAC straight to the User I/O it would work perfectly, can't do it as there is not enough room hence the angled connector.
Blitzwing

The only other thing of note I suppose is that it seems odd that even when the MD adapter is connected straight to the SNAC board that start and C don't work. Wired like that it only leaves the 20cm right angle connector.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Blitzwing wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm The only other thing of note I suppose is that it seems odd that even when the MD adapter is connected straight to the SNAC board that start and C don't work. Wired like that it only leaves the 20cm right angle connector.
Please flip your pad over; what do you see imprinted on the bottom shell? Does it say: SEGA MODEL No.MK-1653-50 | SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD. | MADE IN JAPAN (also CHINA, or TAIWAN)?
Blitzwing

lamarax wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 pm
Blitzwing wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm The only other thing of note I suppose is that it seems odd that even when the MD adapter is connected straight to the SNAC board that start and C don't work. Wired like that it only leaves the 20cm right angle connector.
Please flip your pad over; what do you see imprinted on the bottom shell? Does it say: SEGA MODEL No.MK-1653-50 | SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD. | Made in Japan, China or Taiwan?
Hi,

Model No. 1650-50 SEGA Enterprises LTD. Made in Malaysia
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

The 1650 plain (there's no -50) is the 3 button pad designation. I'm suspecting you have a dud. :(
Blitzwing

lamarax wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:35 pm The 1650 plain (there's no -50) is the 3 button pad designation. I'm suspecting you have a dud. :(
Really oh ok, well thank you for the information it's appreciated. Not really knowing what the genuine models are I could only go off the eBay listing. 🙄
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Blitzwing wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:16 pm Really oh ok, well thank you for the information it's appreciated. Not really knowing what the genuine models are I could only go off the eBay listing. 🙄
Mystery solved and lesson learned I guess :)

I've had similar problems with the "officially licensed" Retro-bit Genesis pad with SNAC (but not with the equally demanding? LLAPI). If you go through threads you'll see; although I caught wind of the possible incompatibility of the PCB and I only modded in the cable (which is much nicer) to an OG 1653-50 pad, that was still a disaster.

Even simply changing the cable can make SNAC go bonkers :)
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Blitzwing wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:16 pm Really oh ok, well thank you for the information it's appreciated. Not really knowing what the genuine models are I could only go off the eBay listing. 🙄
Correction: There was indeed a genuine pad issue marked 1650-50 MADE IN MALAYSIA, my bad.
3buttonmark2back.jpg
3buttonmark2back.jpg (398.93 KiB) Viewed 14493 times
But that's still a standard MD "croissant" 3-button pad, not a 6-button one... I'm confused :?

Edit: Well, now I feel embarrassed 😳. It's not you who posted about the 6-button pad not working, it was the OP! However, now that we have determined that you actually got a genuine pad indeed :mrgreen:, we should find out why in effing hell it doesn't work as it should!
Blitzwing

lamarax wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:33 pm
Correction: There was indeed a genuine pad issue marked 1650-50 MADE IN MALAYSIA, my bad.
3buttonmark2back.jpg

But that's still a standard MD "croissant" 3-button pad, not a 6-button one... I'm confused :?

Edit: Well, now I feel embarrassed 😳. It's not you who posted about the 6-button pad not working, it was the OP! However, now that we have determined that you actually got a genuine pad indeed :mrgreen:, we should find out why in effing hell it doesn't work as it should!
It happens😊, it can be difficult to get the right information. Yeah it wasn't me, mines a 3 button pad, just hijacked the thread lol

I've just come to the conclusion that having the best part of a 2 meter run of USB 3 cable for SNAC duties is not good, reading around it sounds like 30cm is pushing it. I also bought an MT32-pi, with the USB cable plugged half the way in the display works but no audio, all the way in audio starts but the display stops.
billythefisherman

Unread post by billythefisherman »

Hi I'm having exactly the same issue. I've got the IO board v6.1 and usb SNAC adapter purchased from misterfpga.co.uk as well with AFAIK genuine 3 and 6 button joypads. See images. My start and c buttons do not work on either pad. Any idea what could be wrong? I'm not sure there was an answer above.Image
Attachments
IMG_20211010_213222.jpg
IMG_20211010_213222.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 13031 times
IMG_20211010_213154.jpg
IMG_20211010_213154.jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 13031 times
IMG_20211010_213137.jpg
IMG_20211010_213137.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 13031 times
IMG_20211010_213108.jpg
IMG_20211010_213108.jpg (5.16 MiB) Viewed 13031 times
billythefisherman

An update: I got a Blisster board and tried the Megadrive pad on the LLAPI HDMI adapters and it works fine. Even more wierdly once the core detects the joypad I can then swap over to SNAC and use all my SNAC hardware.

So I'm not sure it's a SNAC hardware issue - I think there's something up with the core and the initial handshake.
billythefisherman

Apologies it wasn't the Blisster LLAPI ports I was using it was the SNAC with HDMI port and a Blisster DB9 adapter that got it working. Once working I can swap back to the usb snac and it'll still work until I switch off the mister/switch core.