MiSTer Input Tester core

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jimmystones
Core Developer

MiSTer Input Tester core

Unread post by jimmystones »

esmith has reported the following with the latest input tester:

The new input tester seems to have X & Y swapped for analog1 & analog2
I'm using an 8bitdo SN30Pro with an 8bitdo USB dongle.
My controls work as expected in any game I program them for but not in the Input Tester Analog Mode.
In the new tester, when I move analog1 on my controller the changes to 'X' show on 'Analog Left' and the changes to 'Y' show on 'Analog Right'.
When I move analog2 on my controller the changes to 'X' show on 'Analog Right' and the changes to 'Y' show on 'Analog Left'.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

@esmith can you try deleting any InputTest related .map files from /media/fat/inputs/ and see if that fixes it?
esmith13

Re: MiSTer Input Tester core

Unread post by esmith13 »

/media/fat/inputs directory is empty on my MiSTer.
Interestingly enough, the issue does NOT happen with a Sony DS4 controller connected via USB cable
It DOES still happen with the 8bitdo SN30Pro in wired USB mode
It DOES happen with an 8bitdo SN30Pro+ controller in wired USB mode that has never been connected to my MiSTer before.
It DOES happen with a genuine wired Xbox 360 pad that has never been connected to my MiSTer before.

Looking around for more analog controllers to test with... I'll edit this post with more entries if I find some.
jimmystones
Core Developer

Sorry, I meant /media/fat/config/inputs - how about in there?
esmith13

deleted any/all .map files for 'InputTest' from /media/config/inputs (I had one entry)
issue is still the same as listed in previous post on all reported controllers.

I really though it was going to only affect 8bitdo controllers at first, but the wired xbox 360 controller having issue as well surprised me. Someone has to have one of those they can test with to compare, I hope...
jimmystones
Core Developer

I only had an 8bitdo M30 and a wired Xbox 360 controller to test on, and they seem to use the same hardware IDs so not actually surprising they have the same behaviour. However they both work fine for me, so I'm a bit confused now!
esmith13

15MB streamable video of my issue (Xbox 360 wired USB used in this example)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YSF3En ... sp=sharing
You can tell there is no '.map' file for this controller/core combo since the onscreen control info pops up.

My MiSTer is fully up to date including the Linux OS/drivers and my only add-ons are 128MB Ram and the official USB hub from MisterAddons.

Totally lost here...
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

i had the same issue because i mapped the sticks wrongly in main. dont confuse X and Y for 2 sticks. in the main you only set the left stick.
esmith13

neogeo81 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:45 pm i had the same issue because i mapped the sticks wrongly in main. dont confuse X and Y for 2 sticks. in the main you only set the left stick.
I didn't configure the xbox controller at all, anywhere. I never used it on MiSTer before I found this issue on a controller I do use often.
That said, I have now set this controller up in the MiSTer menu, and input test works correctly for it now.

Odd, does this mean that when it auto-detects certain controllers it configures them wrong and then my manually defining the controls then fixes it?
Also, now that I set the 360 controller up in the MiSTer menu, where is the .map file for those changes I made? it's not in /media/fat/config/inputs/ ???

EDIT: MiSTer must be identifying the 8bitdo USB receivers and direct-wired controllers as an Xbox 360 wired controller because setting up the actual xbox 360 controller in the main menu has also fixed EVERY 8bitdo controller I have tested, regardless of if it's used with an 8bitdo receiver or direct wired via USB cable.

Perhaps ages ago when I first configured my MiSTer I made the same mistake and misread how to do the analog setup like you mentioned as well?

EDIT 2: Even more interesting - I loaded up a few arcade cores where I used the left analog as movement and the controls are working correctly... If I HAD messed up doing the analog setup in the main core, wouldn't I have lost movement on just X or Y axis on a core setup when the control was improperly split?
jimmystones
Core Developer

This is making (a bit) more sense... the 8bitdo controllers must be re-using HID/VID from the Xbox 360 for some reason - it follows my experience of some weird issues I've had before as well.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

That's expected if you are using x-input mode. The whole point is to try and mimic an xbox 360 controller.

There might be similar collisions with an official Switch pro controller and using 8bitdo controllers in Switch mode.

Some of the 8bitdo wireless USB dongles have an (undocumented?) feature to switch modes, by holding home + dpad direction for 5 seconds. The m30 lets you select between genesis mini, switch, and x-input modes by holding down, left, or up with home. This only works with the USB dongle, if you plug a USB cable directly into the m30, it will always use x-input.