9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by FPGA64 »

sonik wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 pm If anyone receives the kit from china please look at the package for what's declared on the CN22 form.
I would like to know if the seller puts it as the full price.
Where I live the Customs can ask more 100% of the item value for import fees :-(
It was the full price on my UK parcel. Ali Express though had already charged me VAT so I didnt get any customs charge
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

OOOOOKaaaay soooo...
I got my new hdmi cable and holy sh*t this is amazing! All the cores I tried so far run at vsync 2, integer scaling at native 1532p and it's all perfect! All the core I tried even support scandoubler without any issue. I get some dropping signal while I manipulate the various settings, but never ingame. I'm running in video 13 mode, and it just works.

What else can I say? I use system wide lcd and scanline filters and I get pixel perfect scaling, and when I don't, the fix is always one click away in the core menu. This is absolutely mindblowing, I can't believe how good and perfect it looks and feels. The sound pushed over 50% is atrocious though, so beware of that. With headphones it sounds great however.
I couldn't stop myself from opening the screen up, and everything in there seem very easy to replace, So I'll probably get better speaker soon, but this is the best 70euro I have spent this year for SURE. I tried to use my Mister to power the screen, but in "FPS" mode the screen was shutting down constantly. However on a 5v2a battery bank it was perfect. Dondopachi at 57hz works flawlessly btw! No ghosting or weird line when moving, it's all beautiful and pixel perfecty and the color are OOOOOOOOOH I'm in love... 😍😍😍😍 I'll share some screenshots soon... Thank you limi for bringing this to my attention! I feel like the A0486 is gonna be sweet on this... ^^
pompomps

Unread post by pompomps »

Just got my screen in the mail (ordered on Sep. 29, and received in west coast USA on oct 14th), and just like Neocaron stated, this thing is awesome. All I did to get it running was to set the language to English and then set change the aspect ratio to 4:3. Set the resolution to 1532p on the MiSTer and it was ready to go. Sound quality is fine for what it is. One thing I still couldn't get working is powering the screen via USB - Not a problem though.

Doom on this screen with the 486 core + mt32-pi is fantastic!
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

Hey guys!

Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13? I get a black screen every couple of seconds. Other cores seem to work fine. When I set te video mode to 1 (1024x768) it works without a problem. What could cause this? I have the mini HDMI version powered with a separate USB power supply.
Gaor

Unread post by Gaor »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Hey guys!

Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13? I get a black screen every couple of seconds. Other cores seem to work fine. When I set te video mode to 1 (1024x768) it works without a problem. What could cause this? I have the mini HDMI version powered with a separate USB power supply.
Just tried 10 min of R-Type and Raiden with vsync_adjust=2 and video_mode=13: not a single desync.

No BIOS file needed for this core to run properly, so maybe you're using DDR only?

ReadMe.md:
## SDRAM
This core may work without SDRAM (using on-board DDR3), but it may have different kinds of issues/glitches due to high latency of DDR3 memory. Thus SDRAM module is highly recommended for maximum accuracy.
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Hey guys!

I have the same problem, some cores are fine, i.e. Amiga at 50hz, but some won't sync, i.e Robotron arcade core.

I'm assuming that using a video mode other than 13 is going to add latency due to scaling on the board?
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

Gaor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 amso maybe you're using DDR only?
ROM Storage is set to ‘SDRAM’ and is greyed out in the OSD menu. Picture is stable with the menu open and no game is running. Once I load a game it starts cutting out. All other console cores like SNES and Mega Drive work fine.
snoot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:58 amI'm assuming that using a video mode other than 13 is going to add latency due to scaling on the board?
I’m not sure. I’m not detecting any added latency, but I’m old and slow anyway :lol:
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

I 'fixed' this problem by using a previous version of the core (20210725). Picture is stable now with video mode 13 :)

edit: Well... it still cuts out, but a LOT less often. Might this be a power supply issue?
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:36 am I 'fixed' this problem by using a previous version of the core (20210725). Picture is stable now with video mode 13 :)

edit: Well... it still cuts out, but a LOT less often. Might this be a power supply issue?
I think it's more to do with the refresh rate, I've tried different power supplies but didn't make any difference.

My self assembled board and iPad screen only supports 60hz, and Robotron runs at 60.1. I recompiled it to lock it to 60hz and it improved the stability. Still drops now and again though. Maybe slightly going over 60 causes the drop. However other cores that have odd refresh rates are fine.

Be interested in knowing if the latency is different for other resolutions. I did a basic test by plugging the screen into my pc, playing a frame count video on both screens, then recording a video on my phone. It was a frame quicker than my pc monitor at full res, and a frame slower at other resolutions.
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

snoot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pmI think it's more to do with the refresh rate, I've tried different power supplies but didn't make any difference.
If the refresh rate is the issue, why does it work with a lower resolution (video mode 1)? The refresh rate stays the same, right?
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm
snoot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pmI think it's more to do with the refresh rate, I've tried different power supplies but didn't make any difference.
If the refresh rate is the issue, why does it work with a lower resolution (video mode 1)? The refresh rate stays the same, right?
Fair point, I don't understand the inner workings, but I read that the pixel clock is adjusted for mode 1, making it more stable.

Hopefully the problem is not refresh rate related and there's some other fix. Maybe some boards are less reliable or different spec. I received mine this week, and was ordered on the 28th.
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

:idea: Might this have something to do with the high resolution and a low quality (or non 4K) HDMI cable?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13?
Here’s what I’m using for TurboGrafx/PC Engine on this screen with Aspect Ratio → Full Screen — no issues at all:

Code: Select all

[tgfx16]
video_mode=1800,48,32,80,1386,3,10,27,167698
This is from the previously mentioned atrac17 presets.
NuclearMonster

Unread post by NuclearMonster »

I just got this for OBS and possibly my iCade and it’s great! Hoping to get a MiSTer in the future

u1PNVUo.jpg
u1PNVUo.jpg (305.81 KiB) Viewed 93806 times
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

limi wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 am
JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13?
Here’s what I’m using for TurboGrafx/PC Engine on this screen with Aspect Ratio → Full Screen — no issues at all:

Code: Select all

[tgfx16]
video_mode=1800,48,32,80,1386,3,10,27,167698
This is from the previously mentioned atrac17 presets.
Thanks Limi, that works perfectly for me!
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

limi wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 amThis is from the previously mentioned atrac17 presets.
Thanks, that works! I've been playing with these modes for the other cores too :D
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Well, I give up on 50hz modes working for me, must be the controller board. Tried everything, including some settings used by some in this thread such as vsync_adjust=2 (this was on, anyway), and video_mode_pal=7 - one thing about this setting, it says in the ini "You need to supply both PAL and NTSC modes", should there be both modes in the ini ?
Anyway, my board must be different because I have access to almost everything, including Brightness, Contrast, Colour, etc.. including backlight - Don't change this if you have it, I put mine on 90% and it was really bright, almost OLED bright, but I started to see image burn-in, on the screen. For example, I ran Pacman for 30 mins, reset, and could still see the Pacman maze on the screen, along with the scores at the top. It seems to have faded now, but I won't be using backlight anymore.
player2

Unread post by player2 »

Just wanted to clarify something: The dual-HDMI version has 2 mini-HDMI ports, yes? Does it also use the VS-RTD09703-V1 that was mentioned in this earlier post?

I went searching for the VS-RTD09703-V1 on Aliexpress and it seems to come with one mini-HDMI and one full size HDMI. I'm wondering if the board in the assembled monitor uses the same chip but just swapped a connector, or it's a completely different part.

Also, has anyone tried the VGA version of the assembled unit? Asking because I have a different application that could use a VGA input monitor and that could meet both requirements at one go.
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

player2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:02 pm Just wanted to clarify something: The dual-HDMI version has 2 mini-HDMI ports, yes? Does it also use the VS-RTD09703-V1 that was mentioned in this earlier post?
Yes can confirm, 2x mini HDMI. Not sure about the driver board as I haven't opened the case.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

player2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:02 pm Also, has anyone tried the VGA version of the assembled unit? Asking because I have a different application that could use a VGA input monitor and that could meet both requirements at one go.
Yes, one of my friends has the VGA version. Works great for them, the main difference is that it is quite a bit thicker, and can’t be powered off USB.
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

I'm interested too to know if the 2xmHDMI has the VS-RTD09703-V1 inside it... so I ordered one today and I'll let you know (delivery expected mid-nov). (-:
A question: is the screen a new one of is it refurbished from and iPad 3?
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

Got mine today, it seems to have a display issue when viewed at an angle, you can see a cloudy area in the center of the screen
When I first powered up the screen there was a sort of 'test mode' where it would cycle between RGB and White, does anybody know how to access that?
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

I bought both the twin HDMI version and the VGA one, The screens in these look to be recycled as there was tape residue and stickers half pulled off inside, that will be why they are so cheap :) picture quality is great though on both.
I've noticed that 50hz does not work on the VGA model but fine on the twin HDMI one.
I have the Antonio case for my Mister and despite using a 4A mean-well PSU, it cannot power the twin HDMI version from the USB hub.
Not disappointed with my purchase though :)
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

Well, it stopped taking a signal from HDMI so it's pretty useless to me right now. I've opened it up for those who are curious, I'm not optimistic about getting any money back.

ipadint13fktt.jpg
ipadint13fktt.jpg (619.51 KiB) Viewed 147897 times
ipadintbik5m.jpg
ipadintbik5m.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 147897 times

No heatsink on the chip, it did get very warm when I got to play for 10 minutes or so.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Vespa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:10 pm Well, it stopped taking a signal from HDMI so it's pretty useless to me right now. I've opened it up for those who are curious, I'm not optimistic about getting any money back.
No heatsink on the chip, it did get very warm when I got to play for 10 minutes or so.
This kind of handmade units leave a lot to luck sadly. Mine is not getting very hot I've found. Played for 4 hours straight no pb.
Reading the comments on the seller's page I see people do get refunds or replacement units. Try it.

No thermal pad for such a chip should be fine. Maybe you short the HDMI port? I hope you didn't use the hdmi cable given by the seller, it's awful. XD
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

Neocaron wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 pm
Vespa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:10 pm Well, it stopped taking a signal from HDMI so it's pretty useless to me right now. I've opened it up for those who are curious, I'm not optimistic about getting any money back.
This kind of handmade units leave a lot to luck sadly. Mine is not getting very hot I've found. Played for 4 hours straight no pb.
Reading the comments on the seller's page I see people do get refunds or replacement units. Try it.

No thermal pad for such a chip should be fine. Maybe you short the HDMI port? I hope you didn't use the hdmi cable given by the seller, it's awful. XD
Yeah, just luck of the draw really. Not too fussed if I can't recoup anything, it's not like it was an expensive item.
player2

Unread post by player2 »

Lightwave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:35 pm Yes can confirm, 2x mini HDMI. Not sure about the driver board as I haven't opened the case.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I'm not surprised if some (all?) of the screens are recycled or very old stock. The iPad 3 was released in 2012. I think the iPad 4 used the same screen, and was discontinued in 2014, 7 years ago. Hopefully if one gets a bad screen, it should be straightforward to get a replacement and swap it.

I'm also guessing there was minimal effort going into the "product" design - I wonder if adding some kapton tape in the area around the board might prevent any shorts. I'm thinking about ordering one and will have to check that out.
Obraxis

Unread post by Obraxis »

Thanks @Limi, just had the HDMI version delivered (only took a couple weeks) and using your Amiga settings, it's superb. Crisp, sharp and working great.

Screen quality is just lovely. Really deep blacks, very little scrolling ghosting. Thanks so much!
bnjones

Unread post by bnjones »

Just got mine in, tried to turn it on and…nothing came up! Power light was on, but no picture! Without much to lose I opened it up, and sure enough, the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the board had come loose during shipping. Connected it back, and works fine. Didn’t have time to put it through its paces yet, so if there’s anything else weird, I’ll report back.

Since some have expressed concern over opening it, here’s what I noticed.

I forgot to take note of the part number like a dummy, but it did have the two stickers that the iPad screens usually have on the side, and the part number looked right, at least from my memory. It was pretty well taped down to the front of the case.

Both ribbon connectors in mine had plenty of slack, so I didn’t have to be too worried about stressing anything too much opening the case. The driver board is pretty well secured to the back panel. Looking at the pictures posted before, mine has the same driver board, hope it doesn’t fail like that one.

Pulling apart after unscrewing everything wasn’t too bad with a plastic spudger, but a suction cup made it much easier. I pulled from the side opposite the inputs since the stereo jack prevents the case from slipping apart on that side.

Putting back together was also pretty easy, but since the panel has quite a bit of empty space, having a suction cup really helped align the screw holes without putting pressure on the screen or smudging it.

Edit: Finally got a chance to hook this up to the mister and...more problems. Ended up having to use my CEC-less hdmi cord from misteraddons into a connecter to my mini hdmi cord from amazon to get a picture.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

hooxxx wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:25 am
experimental slot mask CRT emulation
please tell me more
I guess the “secret” is out — update your Jotego cores, and enjoy shadow masks with your scanlines. 😄