Component & RGB at the same time?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
taiwanjon

Component & RGB at the same time?

Unread post by taiwanjon »

Hello all,
I have a PVM connected to the Mister via HDMI to VGA adapter (and VGA to RGBS cable). I have direct video turned on and it works great.

I also have a VGA to component cable connected to from the MiSTer I/O board to a Sony WEGA.

If I turn yPbPr on, the WEGA looks fine but it turns my PVM green. If I turn yPbPr off, the WEGA's colors are wrong and the PVM looks fine.

Is it possible to set the MiSTer to output yPbPr ONLY on the I/O board, and not have it impact the HDMI port (with direct video turned on)?

In short, I want to output both RGBS (on the HDMI port) and component (on the I/O port) at the same time.

Is it possible?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Component & RGB at the same time?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

With direct video, no, ypbpr encoding ends up getting passed through to the HDMI side. (Though unfortunately, the SoG pulse does not.) You would need to use the scaler (direct_video=0) with a 240p video mode. I would recommend trying 1920x240 and in the core's HUD set aspect ratio to full/wide. If that syncs with your converter/PVM you can look into further tweaks from there.

If you want to keep using direct video, I would suggest turning off ypbpr and trying some kind of component converter, probably HDMI->component will be the easier one to find.
taiwanjon

Re: Component & RGB at the same time?

Unread post by taiwanjon »

Thanks. I've tried several custom video modes and I can almost get it to work, but the problem is vertical hold. I've tried playing with the vertical hold on the PVM but it never 'locks' into place, the screen is always rolling even if slowly. This was my latest attempt:
video_mode=640,16,64,80,240,1,3,14,12380