Top Contributor

AmiTCP - AmigaOS 3.2 - PPP

Unread post by Caldor »

Anyone got this working? I am hoping to get it working on AmigaOS 3.2

I have found this information:
http://donovancolbert.blogspot.com/2019 ... g-for.html

The official Wiki:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... rted-cores

So... from what I can read AmiTCP is recommended. I have bought the newest AmiTCP from IComp, but it seems to be newer than the 4.3 version that Sorg has a guide for. One he posted on Atari forums back in 2018, where he writes something about using null modem as device, but still using PPP I think.

This video seems promising, but is using the old free version of AmiTCP and MiamiDX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaVHu65PyW4

I have not tried following it completely, but at this point I have already spent more than 5 hours trying to get this to work, so I am hoping someone has some tips as I seem unable to find good videos or forum posts explaining the details.
ByteMavericks

Re: AmiTCP - AmigaOS 3.2 - PPP

Unread post by ByteMavericks »

Networking can be a bit of a trial sometimes, however strong recommendation here for Roadshow. Works perfectly with very minimal hassle.
Make sure your mister config uart mode is set to use PPP too:-)
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

ByteMavericks wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 am Networking can be a bit of a trial sometimes, however strong recommendation here for Roadshow. Works perfectly with very minimal hassle.
Make sure your mister config uart mode is set to use PPP too:-)
Yes, it does sound like its easier to get to work, but AmiTCP should have more functionality to offer. I also already paid for AmiTCP and I am hoping to get that to work.

My end goal is to try to find a telnet client that can work on the AmigaOS and use it to connect to the Linux part of the MiSTer and that way having more control over it. I suspect its more likely to find a Telnet client that works with AmiTCP than with Roadshow.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

I use AmTelnet as well as AmiTCP telnet - with Roadshow, which btw also includes a simple, but extremely useful rsh client.

On the linux side I have a loop back mounted disk image with Gentoo/Linux on, from which OpenRC is ran chrooted on boot (from inittab), with all services I wish (including telnetd, rshd etc).
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

I purchased Roadshow and use it on Minimig and it's great...

I have Roadshow set up to launch via Workbench icon, however I also have Miami DX (which I bought from Holger Kruse in person) and while I know Roadshow is more efficient and faster, it literally makes no difference for 115200 (or even 230K) PPP when you have virtually unlimited RAM (in Amiga terms) and prefer the nicer MUI GUI of MiamiDX.

MiamiDX requires 020 so would not run on my original Minimig 1.1 so I purchased Roadshow.

AmiTCP is a rellic I'd just not suggest it...
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Can these Telnet clients then be used to connect to the MiSTer and give Linux commands to it? Maybe run Midnight Commander?
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Yes, and if you plan to use curses based “TUIs” like midnight commander, you are better off with AmTelnet, since it has its own terminal emulation (well, the mui class term.mcc) which has better ANSI implementation than just Amiga console handler. With command line telnet I’d say using ViNCEd with terminal emulation is a must.

And if you just wish to send off commands to the linux side and get output back to the Amiga shell (or scripts), the Roadshow rsh is brilliant (it was actually I who talked Olsen into implementing an rsh for Roadshow years and years ago, he did it for fun over a weekend).
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

kolla wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:44 am Yes, and if you plan to use curses based “TUIs” like midnight commander, you are better off with AmTelnet, since it has its own terminal emulation (well, the mui class term.mcc) which has better ANSI implementation than just Amiga console handler. With command line telnet I’d say using ViNCEd with terminal emulation is a must.

And if you just wish to send off commands to the linux side and get output back to the Amiga shell (or scripts), the Roadshow rsh is brilliant (it was actually I who talked Olsen into implementing an rsh for Roadshow years and years ago, he did it for fun over a weekend).
Nice that does sound promising. I looked it up and found this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38394

So it sounds like its working although possibly needing a special font to get it to work fully. Its already one of the clients I have downloaded to begin testing, but I am still stuck at getting online.

Does AmTelnet work with Roadshow or does it need AmiTCP?

If all else fails, I can make do with just the command prompt. I just find it very useful to have a tool like Midnight Commander available as well, and I think it could be used for other useful TUI tools.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

AmTelnet, like most Amiga tcp/ip software, just needs a compatible bsdsocket.library. AmiTCP pretty much defined that standard, and Roadshow comes with its own implementation that follows this standard. Any software that works with AmiTCP also works with Roadshow.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

kolla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:54 am AmTelnet, like most Amiga tcp/ip software, just needs a compatible bsdsocket.library. AmiTCP pretty much defined that standard, and Roadshow comes with its own implementation that follows this standard. Any software that works with AmiTCP also works with Roadshow.
Nice. I guess I will be going with RoadShow then.