Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
darksakul

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by darksakul »

Nice. I like the style of your case.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Would it be considered off-topic to show off one's overall retro setup in this thread? My actual MiSTer is kinda pedestrian (so far), but it is part of a fairly elaborate retro console gaming environment I've built up over the years.
muthuxmut

Unread post by muthuxmut »

antibolo wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:56 pm Would it be considered off-topic to show off one's overall retro setup in this thread? My actual MiSTer is kinda pedestrian (so far), but it is part of a fairly elaborate retro console gaming environment I've built up over the years.
i wouldnt consider it OT
MiSTer does not work by itself
lets see it :)
Galaga Tragic :)
coyo5050

Unread post by coyo5050 »

Awesome case design @bluescrn! Nice to see something other than the generic rectangles. Do you think you will ever share the files?
terminator2k2

Unread post by terminator2k2 »

@bluescrn very nice and different from the usual 3d printed tower of power type case......its turned out really nice
Mmsiphone

Unread post by Mmsiphone »

https://imgur.com/gallery/OW99vtP

Here is my Astro City/PVM/LG OLED setup!
muthuxmut

Mmsiphone wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:02 pm https://imgur.com/gallery/OW99vtP

Here is my Astro City/PVM/LG OLED setup!
great setup Mmsiphone
love it
p60091

Unread post by p60091 »

Here's my stealthish MiSTer Famicom. Bought a broken Famicom a few years ago from Japan and originally wanted to throw a pi in there, but this is much better imho. I love the fact that the 8bitdo fc30 controllers fit directly in the side slots. It integrates a 4A psu, a 3 port usb hub and 2 controller dongles.
20200717_110425.jpg
20200717_111211.jpg
20200717_110728.jpg
The one thing I wanted though was add a hardware reset switch without the IO board, but I don't understand electronics well enough to read the schematics. If anybody here knows of a way, please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

That's amazing! Well done on such a clean retrofit too!
rafael

Unread post by rafael »

My humble setup
IMG_20200723_191002.jpg
IMG_20200723_190833.jpg
IMG_20200723_190752.jpg
IMG_20200723_190742.jpg
IMG_20200723_190731.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Veto

Unread post by Veto »

Nice work!
goosewerks

Unread post by goosewerks »

p60091 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:13 pm Here's my stealthish MiSTer Famicom. Bought a broken Famicom a few years ago from Japan and originally wanted to throw a pi in there, but this is much better imho. I love the fact that the 8bitdo fc30 controllers fit directly in the side slots. It integrates a 4A psu, a 3 port usb hub and 2 controller dongles.

The one thing I wanted though was add a hardware reset switch without the IO board, but I don't understand electronics well enough to read the schematics. If anybody here knows of a way, please let me know.
This is fantastic!
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

here are my mister actual setup :)

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg

the printable case is freely available here :) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4343777
JF
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

That's awesome, love it for a computer form factor.
Lapulid2

Unread post by Lapulid2 »

Juri wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 am here are my mister actual setup :)

the printable case is freely available here :) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4343777
Spectacular!
Geords

Unread post by Geords »

20200802_142000.jpg
20200802_141920.jpg
20200802_150252.jpg
muthuxmut

B&O omg:)
super tidy inside and out
Geords

Unread post by Geords »

Thanks! It was my first foray into electronics and metalwork in *very* long time. I would have loved to mount the d-types on the inside but my hole-saw skills weren't up to it. The LED circuit board saga continues in the 'Official Add-on Boards' section. It's an HD-Recorder case, so I'm desperate to see the 'Replay' text light up!
zachcollier

Unread post by zachcollier »

All of the custom cases on here look awesome! Great work, everyone!

Inspired by all of you, I made a wooden case and (somewhat) matching joystick for my MiSTer setup.

I sandwiched several layers of different types of wood together to get some interesting stripes, and left some gaps in some of the layers to create openings in the front of the case to allow the exhaust fan in the back to draw air inside the case and over the heatsinks.

MiSTer-Case-Corner-zachcollier.jpg
MiSTer-Case-Inside-zachcollier.jpg
MiSTer-Case-Back-zachcollier.jpg
MiSTer-Case-and-Joystick-zachcollier.jpg
muthuxmut

get wood for wood :)

lots of little details in those pics.
decased psu with AC switching
lettering on the ports
three (?) heatsinks on the SOC

what else ??
Geords

Unread post by Geords »

Beautiful work!

Think my next case is gonner have to be wood, now.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

what a great job you've made there Zach.. love it..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
darksakul

I been sitting on posting this for a while now, but now I got some time off I decided its better now that later.
I put everything into a metal electronics project box enclosure measuring 9.8" x 7.5" x 4.3" which is more room that what I wanted to do, as I also want to include a hard drive into my enclosure.

IhBP4F8.jpg
Here the front. With 4 of the USB ports extended, indicator lights and IO Buttons, and a latching light-up push button for power

yDQ1xUJ.jpg
Back. To the left is the hot swap bay for a 2.5" HDD, an SD card extension, access to the MiSTer Rear IO and the Power Only USB connector is there for a Wii Sensor Bar.

wYHMlXy.jpg
Inside case shot. Ignore that green piece of shrink wrap, that was taken out after the picture was take.

x2U2yoG.jpg
Side shot with the MiSTer it self and the custom USB extension cables.

Agmkl5I.jpg
Side view of the Hotswap bay with an attached SATA to USB adapter board pulled from an external drive enclosure.
After I took this pic the board died and replaced it with a board pulled from a external Seagate laptop hard drive
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
zachcollier

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:45 am what a great job you've made there Zach.. love it..
Thanks a lot!
zachcollier

Geords wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 am Beautiful work!

Think my next case is gonner have to be wood, now.
Thank you! And yes, please do build a cool wooden case and post photos here for everyone to see!
zachcollier

muthuxmut wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 am get wood for wood :)

lots of little details in those pics.
decased psu with AC switching
lettering on the ports
three (?) heatsinks on the SOC

what else ??
Great attention to detail!

There are actually four small heatsinks on the SOC, two black and two blue, but you can't see them all due to the angle of the photo. That's just what I already had, and they're stuck on chip 2 x 2 to cover the entire surface. They seem to work great, but could certainly look better.

Yes, I'm switching the AC going in to the PSU which has been opened up to allow for better cooling since it's inside the case with all of the other components. It all stays very cool in there. The power switch lights up, too.

The lettering is printed on waterslide decal paper, and the decals are applied in between layers of 2K clear coat. They're just like guitar headstock decals, and are protected by and encased in the clear gloss finish.

One more cool thing: The "lid" of the case is a single piece of poplar with two little pegs/hooks on the front corners which stick down at an angle into holes on the bottom of the case. It's then pulled back tight toward the back of the case, and two small screws go at an upward angle from the back of the case up into the lid to hold it down and back. This way you don't see any screws from the front or sides, but it's easy to take out those two screws to open up the case for modifications or repairs.
muthuxmut

nice job on the hotswap bay there.
lots to like in this build too :)
darksakul

muthuxmut wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 am nice job on the hotswap bay there.
lots to like in this build too :)
Thanks.

I know my Metal cutting leave some to be desired. But I want to get some functions in that I haven't seen in a MiSTer case yet.
For me that was putting in a Hotswap drive.

The exact Hotswap drive I was using is no longer on Amazon, but this is almost the exact same thing
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Alu ... 00H91BXJU/

I want the whole thing to be tool-less, No Keys, no cartage or tray to load, and has to take a 2.5" HDD. It has Sata output so you still have to provide a SATA to USB adapter. I used some 3.5" to 5.25" Metal mounting brackets with one side of each bracket hacked off so I can maintain the 3.5" footprint, the brackets also allows me to mount the Hotswap bay to the case (as the only mount holes are on the sides of the hotswap bay.

Outside of my MiSTer I been using this SATA to US adapter with my MiSTer drive, https://amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM/
You can use it with the hotswap bay too, but you have to be careful you have enough clearance for it to fit.

I also borrowed ideas heavily from @terminator2k2 who has the first post in the thread.
muthuxmut

darksakul wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:44 am
I know my Metal cutting leave some to be desired. But I want to get some functions in that I haven't seen in a MiSTer case yet.
some cases are pure art.
some are pure function.
i see the beauty in both :)
MisterJamma

Unread post by MisterJamma »

Here's mine

wdrSgzZ.jpg
aJJ6fK7.jpg