MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Sigismond0

Re: MiSTer Multisystem - All-in-One System

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

kconger wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:09 pm
venice wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:59 am Which Display (Size, Type, Brand) and MCU do you use?
I'm using a Waveshare 2.13 BWR ePaper Hat and a Seeduino XIAO with a custom PCB to connect them together.

Thanks for creating the tty2oled and i2c2oled projects!
A TTY2OLED module that fits in where you did your eink display would be killer.
german_user

Unread post by german_user »

Just do it
Daz555

Unread post by Daz555 »

Can I ask for the dimensions of the Multisystem case? Wondering if my 3D printer will be able to handle the size (assuming the files are available).
Sigismond0

I just printed it and it fits just inside the build envelope for a Prusa MK3. Give it a go in your slicer and see if it works:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/75 ... e-3d-print
FrancoB

Unread post by FrancoB »

I don't know if this is the best place to ask but does anyone know if there are .stp files or similar for the case? .stl's are not particularly friendly for modification.
pojr

Unread post by pojr »

looking pretty sharp. looks more like a game console than the "brick box" look of the mister.
multisystem

Unread post by multisystem »

Hi Everyone,

The second production batch of the MiSTer Multisystem is now up for pre-order if you want to get hold of one in 2022 -

https://rmcretro.store/mister-multisystem/

Cheers,

Richard.
annette

Unread post by annette »

Looking at the store link it says 'Expected shipping date for batch #2 is Q2 2022' so worst case for the second batch is a delivery date nearly 8 months away if I pay now?
multisystem

annette wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:15 pm Looking at the store link it says 'Expected shipping date for batch #2 is Q2 2022' so worst case for the second batch is a delivery date of up to 8 months away if I pay now?
There is a worldwide electronic component shortage. We ordered all the components required for the first batch of 500 in Feb 2021 - These raw components were delivered to us during Aug to October 2021, we are manufacturing the fiurst batch now and will be sending out to customers in November onwards.

We immediately ordered more components, some are already here, but others will not be made and delivered until 2022, so we can't build boards until all the components are available.

It's only an estimate, if we can build and ship earlier, we will, but it's a realistic timescale for building electronics at the moment.

We may have spare stock next year, so you could wait and see, but that's also why pre-orders are up, so everyone can place an order if they want to get a unit, not pay more on eBay. We are trying very hard to make sure everyone that wants to buy has the opportunity.

This is not like a Kickstarter, the product has been designed and tested. We are just waiting for components to make more of them, everyone else in in the same situation. We also had to pay up-front for almost all components this year, they won't be delivered until 2022.
annette

Unread post by annette »

The big fear i have with your all in one board is such a large delay of waiting up to 8 months with nothing in hand to use.

also because the Mister project can develop and change quickly with new cores needing maybe different hardware requirements like playstation 1 or sega saturn i would not want an all in one board that may not be compatible with all available and upcoming cores before i even have it.

thank you for taking time and replying but i do need a serious think on this before buying with such a wait.
german_user

But you will have the problem of what you are addressing everywhere. The reason is very simple: All extensions adhere to a standard that is supposed to ensure compatibility. The ATX boards basically all more or less "only" combine the previously individual boards on a new carrier plate. The connections used to the FPGA board are all the same, otherwise no compatibility would be guaranteed. There are a few exceptions (2 port SNAC), but in a certain way these directly break the previously mentioned compatibility. If there are any profound changes, this will affect everyone who operates the extensions. A 2 memory module is z. The result, for example, that the boards previously used there can no longer function in this form, because there are simply not enough IO pins for everything. Personally, I therefore think it is much more likely that great efforts will be made to prevent this from happening.
german_user

The FPGA board currently in use has support until 2028, so it is certain that it will not be switched to another basis anytime soon.
annette

Unread post by annette »

german_user wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:26 pm A 2 memory module is z. The result, for example, that the boards previously used there can no longer function in this form, because there are simply not enough IO pins for everything. Personally, I therefore think it is much more likely that great efforts will be made to prevent this from happening.
I agree with you, and wish also for core developers to work around these possible future developments and the problems it may give for users wanting all cores. ​i read both sega saturn and playstation 1 devs are both using a dual sdram setup while developing the new cores.

i watched the mms youtube video and looks at the pictures of the mms all in one board, maybe i am wrong but i can not even add a second memory module if one is in future required, even if i prepare to loose some original mms functionality. is this possible at all with the mms board as it does not seem so?

with my original mister i would just need to change to a digital io board to add a second module, which is what i will do if upcoming new cores need a second memory module, and just use an all in one board as my second mister for computer cores on my scart crt.
german_user wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:29 pm The FPGA board currently in use has support until 2028, so it is certain that it will not be switched to another basis anytime soon.
where is this information published for de10 nano product lifecycle?

as this is good news if true and correct.
multisystem

annette wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:15 am
german_user wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:26 pm A 2 memory module is z. The result, for example, that the boards previously used there can no longer function in this form, because there are simply not enough IO pins for everything. Personally, I therefore think it is much more likely that great efforts will be made to prevent this from happening.
I agree with you, and wish also for core developers to work around these possible future developments and the problems it may give for users wanting all cores. ​i read both sega saturn and playstation 1 devs are both using a dual sdram setup while developing the new cores.

i watched the mms youtube video and looks at the pictures of the mms all in one board, maybe i am wrong but i can not even add a second memory module if one is in future required, even if i prepare to loose some original mms functionality. is this possible at all with the mms board as it does not seem so?

with my original mister i would just need to change to a digital io board to add a second module, which is what i will do if upcoming new cores need a second memory module, and just use an all in one board as my second mister for computer cores on my scart crt.
german_user wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:29 pm The FPGA board currently in use has support until 2028, so it is certain that it will not be switched to another basis anytime soon.
where is this information published for de10 nano product lifecycle?

as this is good news if true and correct.

annette wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:15 am i watched the mms youtube video and looks at the pictures of the mms all in one board, maybe....
If you take a look at this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzbuHErNQGs At around the 1 hour to 1 hour 4 mins mark
We show how the MMS could handle dual SDRAM boards, but it's something we hope is never needed for all the same reasons 'german_user' mentioned.
annette

Unread post by annette »

Yes i watched this whole video before, and it did not really answer the question about dual sdram if maybe required in the future for new playstation 1 or sega saturn cores, just explained what would be lost with a dual sdram setup not actually if the mms board could install two modules in the version i can order now.

so in simple terms my understanding is the mms board in production currently is physically unable to have a second sdram memory board installed.

if in the future it is needed and this is because the mms already have a connector soldered onto the mms board where usually a second sdram could be installed.
multisystem

annette wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:09 pm Yes i watched this whole video before, and it did not really answer the question about dual sdram if maybe required in the future for new playstation 1 or sega saturn cores, just explained what would be lost with a dual sdram setup not actually if the mms board could install two modules in the version i can order now.

so in simple terms my understanding is the mms board in production currently is physically unable to have a second sdram memory board installed.

if in the future it is needed and this is because the mms already have a connector soldered onto the mms board where usually a second sdram could be installed.
Yes, that's correct. We don't want to make this design into something that can accommodate two SDRAM modules as that breaks the current MiSTer Stack configuration and also all the I/O boards that people already have. All MiSTer Analogue I/O boards are also physically unable to accept a second SDRAM board.
You loose too many good and important features by loosing the other I/O port to just another SDRAM board. That's not what the Multisystem was designed for - it's 100% compatible with the existing stack design and adds more features and quality of life upgrades. If that's not important to you for all the existing cores, then you don't need it.

It sounds like you should not order a Multisystem, you may be more happy with the just the DE10-Nano and use only the HDMI output, then you can add 1 or 2 SDRAMS as you need.

MiSTer is an evolving project, we can do new things, but keeping a level of backwards compatibility is also really important.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

annette wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:09 pm Yes i watched this whole video before, and it did not really answer the question about dual sdram if maybe required in the future for new playstation 1 or sega saturn cores, just explained what would be lost with a dual sdram setup not actually if the mms board could install two modules in the version i can order now.

the ps1 core is devoloping very fast in Peips hands and it looks like you don't need dual ram at all. I would guess same for Saturn also.
neogeo81

multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:27 pm MiSTer is an evolving project, we can do new things, but keeping a level of backwards compatibility is also really important.
I was lucky to order on the first batch and can't wait it to be shipped on the 26th.

Are there already high-res images of the board or may some king of owners manual for me to study ahead? :D
multisystem

neogeo81 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:36 pm
multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:27 pm MiSTer is an evolving project, we can do new things, but keeping a level of backwards compatibility is also really important.
I was lucky to order on the first batch and can't wait it to be shipped on the 26th.

Are there already high-res images of the board or may some king of owners manual for me to study ahead? :D
The user manual, assembly guide and quick-start are all getting an update since the prototype build, so that's in progress.
We also plan to have some short video's that show the assembly, setup and operation etc.

As soon as that's all ready, we will post and share.

Thanks for ordering, and at the moment it's all on track for starting shipments late November to the first batch orders.
neogeo81

multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:43 pm

The user manual, assembly guide and quick-start are all getting an update since the prototype build, so that's in progress.
We also plan to have some short video's that show the assembly, setup and operation etc.

Thanks for ordering, and at the moment it's all on track for starting shipments late November to the first batch orders.
Thanks. I was wondering if i can strip an external 2.5HDD from its case and use the SATA adapter that is already on there to mount it on your multisystem case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
multisystem

neogeo81 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:47 pm
multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Thanks. I was wondering if i can strip an external 2.5HDD from its case and use the SATA adapter that is already on there to mount it on your multisystem case.
Yes, you can, as long as the SSD interface has a USB connection - so a SSD drive to USB adaptor enclosure or cable should work - you can then connect it to one of the internal USB connections. It will be seen in MiSTer as a mass storage drive on the USB Bus.
german_user

Not sure Digikey or Mouser. But have a look today to verify it, both had no on stock and display not all informations like before.
german_user

multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:27 pm
That's not what the Multisystem was designed for - it's 100% compatible with the existing stack design and adds more features and quality of life upgrades.

MiSTer is an evolving project, we can do new things, but keeping a level of backwards compatibility is also really important.
I have not yet received the requested pin assignment from the expansion slot and can therefore only make guesses. But if there should ever be a redesign of the MMS, I would be happy if the missing signals from the connector (currently from the RTC board) would also be available on the expansion bus in the future. You could for example. realize with a detachable jumper bridge, and (or) simply mirror the port again on the PCB. But this would also make it possible to create an extension that controls a small display without having to pull cables again.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2476
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

hi
can someone tell me where i can find screw and all it need to assemble ?
thanks in advance
CPC-Power Staff
neogeo81

multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:32 pm Yes, you can, as long as the SSD interface has a USB connection - so a SSD drive to USB adaptor enclosure or cable should work - you can then connect it to one of the internal USB connections. It will be seen in MiSTer as a mass storage drive on the USB Bus.
Thanks. Do you have USB pinout to USB adapters you can recommend?
multisystem

neogeo81 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:13 am
multisystem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:32 pm Yes, you can, as long as the SSD interface has a USB connection - so a SSD drive to USB adaptor enclosure or cable should work - you can then connect it to one of the internal USB connections. It will be seen in MiSTer as a mass storage drive on the USB Bus.
We used exactly the same standard 5 pin configuration as a PC motherboard for internal USB headers - sometimes they are dual (10 pin) but any standard internal 5 pin Single in-line USB cable should work, just check that one end has a ground and shield (ground) wires and the other end has the 5v RED wire. Image below -
Internal_USB_Connections.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
german_user

breiztiger wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:36 am hi
can someone tell me where i can find screw and all it need to assemble ?
thanks in advance
What have your orderd? Just the PCB?
Sigismond0

I 3D printed my case a bit ago, and for the internal drive I just pulled the plastic case off of a 2.5" micro USB external hard drive. Most of those have a hard disk inside that has a micro USB connector instead of a SATA connector, so all you need is a micro USB to header adapter. Should also leave more room internally since you don't have to also fit in a SATA to USB adapter. And even if it doesn't have a fixed micro USB port like mine did, it should have a really small SATA to USB adapter so you don't have to shop around for a small enough one to fit.

To attach to the header to the micro USB port, i picked these up, and expect it should work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q1MBSG

JNGM18Q.jpg
neogeo81

multisystem wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:11 pm
We used exactly the same standard 5 pin configuration as a PC motherboard for internal USB headers - sometimes they are dual (10 pin) but any standard internal 5 pin Single in-line USB cable should work, just check that one end has a ground and shield (ground) wires and the other end has the 5v RED wire. Image below -

Internal_USB_Connections.png
I see here 2 different images. one with 5 pin and one with 4 pin. Which one should i search for?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

4 pin is for regular USB, 5 pin allows OTG.