MiSTercade Vertical setup - Most games upside down?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
brandonx76

MiSTercade Vertical setup - Most games upside down?

Unread post by brandonx76 »

*UPDATE*

Doing some reading / I guess this is a known problem. Seems I may be better off rotating monitor Clockwise for games that can't be flipped (Ex: Contra) and flipping those that can

Hey folks - I'm running a MisterCade successfully and a vertical rotation (Counter Clockwise profile)

Menu looks good - most games (ex: Contra, Journey) are upside down however when I launch them. DonPachi is running proper perspective / looks great.

Is there a way I can rotate/change per game rotation? I was thinking since most vertical games are upside down just load a Clockwise profile however, the MiSTer menu would be upside down and then DonPachi would be upside down too (and any games that are the opposite of Journey/Contra etc).

Any suggestions to work around this?

Thank you,
caad

Re: MiSTercade Vertical setup - Most games upside down?

Unread post by caad »

I feel your pain, ran into the same problem. I ended up rotating the tube 180 degrees.

Another solution is to swap the two vertical yoke wires with each other, and the two horizontal yoke wires with each other. This will effectively rotate the screen 180 degrees. (The usual safety warnings apply.)
brandonx76

Unread post by brandonx76 »

oh man - "bleeding edge technology" problems..thanks for the tip on swapping the yoke wires, hadn't thought of that. Yeah I want to play Contra and Journey so I'll have to do some swap. but then I won't be able to play Up and Down - (another game that has no flip option in the core or DIP switch setting
Flain

Unread post by Flain »

Old post but i recently got a cab with a vertical screen and had the same issue. There is a number of solutions:

1) Go into the games DIP settings in the MiSTer menu and flip the screen if there is an option
2) In the MiSTer menu flip the screen if there is an option (won't work for some cores via vga)
3) Toggle service mode in the MiSTer menu (if available) and check the game settings for flip screen (option is sometimes only temporary and doesn't save settings between MiSTer restarts)
4) Enable the vga scaler on a game-by-game basis. This will enable games that have options to flip the screen that didn't work via VGA output normally (ie cores where flip screen works via HDMI but not VGA, this will allow it to work via VGA).

Example in my MiSTer.ini file for a game that wouldn't rotate via dip switch or core menu:

[afighter]
vga_scaler=1

Note you need to have the MiSTer video mode set to something your CRT supports, for me i've got a CRT that supports 640x480 so i've got video_mode=6, but if you have a 15khz CRT then you're going to need to use a custom video mode.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I ended up using counter-clockwise (monitor orientation) by default, as some of my favorite vertical cores that don't have a flip option are ccw.

Not sure which orientation currently has the most supported games.