wifi no longer working since updates

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Brettster

wifi no longer working since updates

Unread post by Brettster »

I've been using an Edimax wifi dongle with my MiSTer for around 8 months it's been working fine, but after a recent update it's no longer connecting, I have tried to use the wifi script to reconnect it and it shows the following

Failed to bring up wlan0 for a second, and then it lists all the wifi ssid's it can see
I proceed to enter the details, and it saves the details etc but still no connection.

I've double-checked the .conf file that stores the details too but is there any other logs I can check to see why its not starting?
I've tried the Edimax usb in my PC which works perfectly and also tried another Dlink usb wifi dongle in the MiSTer which also fails to start.
Using the original PSU that comes with the DE10 nano and nothing else plugged into the USB sockets.

Update: didn't notice this before, but when saving the config it briefly flashes up media/fat/scripts/wifi.sh: line255: printmsgs: command not found
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
jca
Top Contributor

Re: wifi no longer working since updates

Unread post by jca »

Brettster

jca wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:09 pm Does this help?
viewtopic.php?p=15877#p15877
Thanks for the link, I checked my Conf file and it has all the fields in ok
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Brettster wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:55 pm Update: didn't notice this before, but when saving the config it briefly flashes up media/fat/scripts/wifi.sh: line255: printmsgs: command not found
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts ... fi.sh#L255

You were unable to connect to the network, and for some reason the author of the wifi.sh script put printmsgs instead of printf or echo. PRINTMSG is from c/c++, python, etc..., but printMsgs I'm unfamiliar with and I don't think it's used in bash at all, and a google search confirms that suspicion. I'll at least fix all the instances of printmsgs there and you can test the wifi script for me when I post it here and see if it gives you better feedback. Then I'll submit a pr if it at least tells you what is wrong.

EDIT: Here try this script in this zip file out, see if it actually prints error messages for you this time. Let me know if it tells you "Unable to connect to network (your SSID here)"

NVM, I realized those were vestigial GUI dialog boxes, so not even related to this, but the script should give proper feedback. The script is just an adaptation of the retropie wifi helper script that is deprecated as well, so, I think the best course of action would be to learn how to setup wifi manually without this script, and go from there. I'm going to try and work on this script or maybe start over with it from scratch.
birdybro~
Brettster

Thanks for the reply's but I feel a bit silly now as it's now connecting fine after I restarted my Wi-Fi access point (Unify HD Nano)
so not sure why it was doing what it did but it's all good now

thanks again
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Brettster wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:26 pm Thanks for the reply's but I feel a bit silly now as it's now connecting fine after I restarted my Wi-Fi access point (Unify HD Nano)
so not sure why it was doing what it did but it's all good now

thanks again
Nah don't feel silly, the current script wasn't great and I think I fixed it. You inspired me to work on something quick and fun.
birdybro~