East German Poly-Play

TLPD-AVW

Re: East German Poly-Play

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

Yeah, it crops the image a bit on the edges, same thing happens with NeoGeo and CPS-1 cores. I calibrated the TV based on the Genesis core, so if the core produces wider image than that I have to squish it horizontally though the TV's service menu.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Which version of the core is the picture from? The one from yesterday or an earlier version?
TLPD-AVW

The most recent. Previous version had a more stable picture (it was still heavily offset on the top but it would not flicker), but it had a different hard-to-explain issue, like some lines had color bleed. I may test the older version to more properly check what was wrong if needed.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Could you test the attached rbf?
I changed a couple of things, but it might not make any difference.
Attachments
TIAMC1.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
TLPD-AVW

Just tested your attached version, it syncs up perfectly! The image is still a bit cropped on sides compared to home console cores, but honestly that's not an issue. Thanks for the fix!
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Thats great news, many thanks for testing! :)

I will update both arcades later today and maybe i can work something out how to change some of the parameters via osd.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Both Arcades are updated now.

And i had a look at my notes. The TIA uses a pixelclock of around 5,25 MHz, that equates to 51,2us videodata per line (256 pixel), well within the 52us PAL defines (afaik). The PolyPlay uses around 8,8 MHz, 57,7us (512 pixel) of video per line and i have no idea how that worked on real hardware, so i raised the pixelclock to 10,5 MHz to shorten the videodata to the same 51,2us as the TIA. I think (not sure) homecomputers of that era used less time per line to show videodata, the rest is borders like on the c64.

Looks like everybody did their very own thing back then :)
SkinnyV

Unread post by SkinnyV »

Thanks a lot for this very interesting core! I’d like to think it was my previous comment that triggered your interest in doing this :D A core like this and your previous one are super important in my opinion as this is the kind of system that is nearly impossible to experience since they are extremely hard to find and are very importany historically.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

Yes, it was your comment that triggered me! :) I never heard of soviet arcades before.

I wish i had the time and money to travel and play the original arcade cabinets.

Sadly there are no public dumps of the other games made for the TIA-MC1, or at least i couldnt find them. If anyone has any, please let me know! There is a short view of a working Avtogonki machine in the background of a youtube video..