Controller A/B & X/Y mapping swap issue

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Trifle

Controller A/B & X/Y mapping swap issue

Unread post by Trifle »

Hi All,

I’m having an odd issue with controller mapping and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it?

I’m using a Retrobit wireless MD controller.
Currently on Mister 200602
So far this has happened with multiple cores (cps1, tg16, various arcade)

Example Repro:
Load core (e.g Donkey Kong arcade)
Press a controller button and note mapping of A (jump in DK)
Start game and press A (mario jumps!)
Trigger OSD menu (I have this mapped to Dpad down + Start)
OSD appears - select exit or press close button
Resume gameplay - now mario no longer jumps with A, but instead does with B(!)
Repeat the trigger of OSD menu and then exit
Mario now jumps with A again.

I have seen this behaviour with multiple cores now and have also noticed that it swaps X and Y in the same way. I tested this using the Test mode of SF2 in CPS1 core.

I can say that this only seems to happen when I used the dpad to access the OSD - if I use the IO board button or the Keyboard to open the OSD there is no issue.

Cheers!
Threepwood

Re: Controller A/B & X/Y mapping swap issue

Unread post by Threepwood »

Well, I have the Retrobit Wireless Saturn Pad and there Down + Start is a native command in the controller that flips A/B and X/Y.

You might want to check the manual of your gamepad (http://retro-bit.com/controllers-support) ;)

Why don't you map the home button to OSD?
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

Threepwood wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 pm Well, I have the Retrobit Wireless Saturn Pad and there Down + Start is a native command in the controller that flips A/B and X/Y.

You might want to check the manual of your gamepad (http://retro-bit.com/controllers-support) ;)

Why don't you map the home button to OSD?
I'm also using a retobit wireless Saturn how did you get the MiSTer to recognise the home button on the pad?
I've had to resort pressing start and select for the OSD as it just seemed to ignore the Home button
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
Trifle

Unread post by Trifle »

Thanks - looks like the same button combo is used so bound to be it! I’ll choose another mapping. Yes, would be handy if the home button was usable!
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

Brettster wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:50 pm I'm also using a retobit wireless Saturn how did you get the MiSTer to recognise the home button on the pad?
I've had to resort pressing start and select for the OSD as it just seemed to ignore the Home button
Hold Start + B to put the gamepad into X-Input mode (blue LED), then you can map it in MiSTer.

By the way: Red LED means D-Input mode and in that mode, which is also for Nintendo Switch, these combos like Down + Start to flip A/B and X/Y are active.
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

Threepwood wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 pm
Brettster wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:50 pm I'm also using a retobit wireless Saturn how did you get the MiSTer to recognise the home button on the pad?
Hold Start + B to put the gamepad into X-Input mode (blue LED), then you can map it in MiSTer.

By the way: Red LED means D-Input mode and in that mode, which is also for Nintendo Switch, these combos like Down + Start to flip A/B and X/Y are active.
Thankyou :)
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie