Dual Joystick support for Rescue?

retrodroid

Dual Joystick support for Rescue?

Unread post by retrodroid »

So @JaguarLV recently added an amazing patch to Robotron to optionally support using the P2 Joystick for controlling the direction of fire (and the normal P1 Joystick for controlling player movement). This is enabled in the core menu as "Fire: Second Joystick".

Now I'm wondering the the Rescue core could have the same enhancement applied so it can also be controlled via dual arcade sticks in the manner the original arcade game intended?
Aspie

Re: Dual Joystick support for Rescue?

Unread post by Aspie »

I've been playing Rescue using my X-Arcade stick and I've always had it set up as left stick to move the helicopter and the right stick controls the fire direction. I'm sure if I plug in my old PS3 controller the dual sticks work as well.
JaguarLV
Core Developer

Unread post by JaguarLV »

It depends on the controller and how Linux sees the device. Some will show a single joystick with lots of buttons, the 2nd joystick is seen as just 4 buttons. My dual-joystick setup is seen as 2 joysticks.

I looked at the code and looks like 4 games use a dual-joystick setup: Lost Tomb, Mars, Minefield, and Rescue. Looks like an easy fix. I will take a closer look and make the changes this weekend.
retrodroid

JaguarLV wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:28 am It depends on the controller and how Linux sees the device. Some will show a single joystick with lots of buttons, the 2nd joystick is seen as just 4 buttons. My dual-joystick setup is seen as 2 joysticks.

I looked at the code and looks like 4 games use a dual-joystick setup: Lost Tomb, Mars, Minefield, and Rescue. Looks like an easy fix. I will take a closer look and make the changes this weekend.
Awesome! Lost Tomb too, yeah forgot about that one.

Thanks in advance.
JaguarLV
Core Developer

Unread post by JaguarLV »

Sorry for the wait. I have submitted a patch and a new release is available.
retrodroid

AWESOME! Thanks.
retrodroid

This plays great now - made it to level 5 on my first game. Such intense dual stick action!

Man, Lost Tomb is straight up difficult. I thought with dual sticks it would be a lot easier, but it is a killer.

Mars is also fun.

Thanks again!