Some core refuse to boot

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Atohmdiy

Some core refuse to boot

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

Hello,
I have a strange problem with the most recent version of mister. I use my mister for maybe two year now without problem, my setup doesn't change. Lately some core refuse to boot, when i select them in the mister main menu, it hang for a few second and go back to the main menu. If i try to reset my mister it doesn't change anything, i need to power off the device, wait a few second and power up again to have the core finally booting. Sometimes i need to power off several time before the core decide to boot.
When the core finally boot there is no problem with it. It seems to appear with the snes and genesis core, i don't know for the others, i need to make more test.
I did have similar problem in the past when i tried to another psu that reveal to be weaker, but in this case no core ever booted. I always used a mean well 4A psu.
Edit : i did more test. It seems my mister have some "wrong boot" when it struggle to boot any core, sometimes core boot but i's random and fail most of the time. And sometimes it has 'right boot" when everything is working fine. I can easily make a video of the problem if needed.
Thank you
MostroW

Re: Some core refuse to boot

Unread post by MostroW »

You could try reformatting your current card and reinstall the MiSTer as a fresh install and see if the problem persists.
Otherwise it could possibly mean you need to replace that sdcard?
Atohmdiy

I did reformatting my sd-card, before it i did some check and nothing seems wrong. After formatting i did a clean install with the mr fusion script. I then copy nearly 300 gb of rom and iso to the sdcard, no problem of copy or speed. I did a quick test and it seems the problem is still here, now it's the TG16 that refuse to boot. I will update it, but i appreciate a way to track the problem.
Edit : yes the behavior is exactly the same. I doubt the problem come from the sdcard. It's pretty random, tg16 core seems to be with the most failing. Even when most core boot fine, some keep failing randomly.
Atohmdiy

After some test it seems you were right. I try with a small 16gb sdcard and now every core boot fine. I find it very strange that this sdcard suddenly stop working properly. It's a 400GB sandisk ultra that was always used with the mister, i don't understand where the problem is, especially as there is no problem reading and writing on it with my pc.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

thing is that i've read more people having these kind of issues where the sdcard suddenly stops working for them for whatever reason?

i remember having the same kind of issues with my NDS back in when i got my first flash card, some games just wouldn't work on specific cards.

i personally use a 128GB Samsung EVO sdcard and i'm using it for 6 years now i believe, from which the last 2 years it's sitting in my DE10. (Running games of an external SSD though, only cores and utilities are on the sdcard)
Atohmdiy

These issues are strange. I remove my big faulty sd card, clean it, check some connection and put it again in place. Now it's working fine...
I don't know really, maybe some dust somewhere or who knows. Problem will surely come again someday..