Some Scripts Stop Working For No Reason At All From Time To Time

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Murderface1982

Some Scripts Stop Working For No Reason At All From Time To Time

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

This has happened several times now, not sure what's going on. So, my update all script stopped working... I replaced all the files with newer files, now I am having an issue with my WIFI. It doesn't seem to want to connect, the USB hub is powering the dongle so I don't think it's that although i guess it could be. But when I use the WIFI script it doesn't kick me into the config screen. I would think it would at least do that. Not sure what's happening here... any troubleshooting suggestions?

The passwords and networks are entered correctly, this has never given me issues before...

edit: I actually think I may have figured it out... ill leave it for posterity unless the mods want to delete... for some reason im not getting enough power to the mister to power the WIFI dongle. Even without my HDD and stuff plugged in... but it works when it's plugged into a computer. Ill keep ya updated.

edit 2: is there any reason why my mister would be refusing to power this wifi dongle? I have almost nothing plugged into the hub and it still doesn't want to power up. I connect a HDD and it runs fine which i assume draws alot of power as well.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Some Scripts Stop Working For No Reason At All From Time To Time

Unread post by bbond007 »

Murderface1982 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:03 pm edit 2: is there any reason why my mister would be refusing to power this wifi dongle? I have almost nothing plugged into the hub and it still doesn't want to power up. I connect a HDD and it runs fine which i assume draws alot of power as well.
Are you using one of those inline power switches? They have been known to drop some voltage.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

You are not having a script problem, it's as you say a WiFi problem. WiFi has never worked well on MiSTer. I don't know why they keep suggesting people use it as we keep hearing people complain about it. I was one of these complainers about 2 years ago. I learned to give up on WiFi and just use ethernet. It's a bummer.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

What's your MiSTer setup? OTG hub, or USB board? If OTG, is it self-powered, or just powered form the micro USB port? If USB board, how are you powering it? Just through the micro USB port, or do you have a Y splitter for the DE-10 nano's power? What's the rating on your power supply? Do you have an inline power switch?
porjay

Unread post by porjay »

I found the WiFi to be flaky on my Mister. I can connect to the WiFi access point and receive an IP address. If I'm not quick enough to do a network operation it simply blacks out and won't let me either run update scripts or connect to a CIFS. The wifi dongle itself appears to be fine if I use it on another device and was unable to replicate the issue but with the Mister, it is pretty useless. I'm using a Mean Well's 5V/4A power supply (no inline switch) and tested using only a generic no-frills keyboard via USB and the WiFi dongle plugged in. It exhibits the same issue so I know power isn't the issue.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

You can just connect your MiSTer's SD card or USB drive to your PC and copy over the cores/filters/shadow masks that you need to update. It really doesn't take that long.
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

porjay wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:00 pm I found the WiFi to be flaky on my Mister. I can connect to the WiFi access point and receive an IP address. If I'm not quick enough to do a network operation it simply blacks out and won't let me either run update scripts or connect to a CIFS. The wifi dongle itself appears to be fine if I use it on another device and was unable to replicate the issue but with the Mister, it is pretty useless.
For anybody that needs Wi-Fi, it's better to connect a WAP in client mode (here's a cheap one) to the Ethernet port of the DE10-nano.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

Sigismond0 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:49 pm What's your MiSTer setup? OTG hub, or USB board? If OTG, is it self-powered, or just powered form the micro USB port? If USB board, how are you powering it? Just through the micro USB port, or do you have a Y splitter for the DE-10 nano's power? What's the rating on your power supply? Do you have an inline power switch?
I don’t think any of this matters. WiFi is just not something that is reliable on MiSTer.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

ARCADEAGES wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:09 am I don’t think any of this matters. WiFi is just not something that is reliable on MiSTer.
As someone who has only ever used WiFi and has never had it be anything short of rock solid, I'll respectfully disagree. I think that the majority of users probably use WiFi only, and presumably it works well for them as well. Or maybe I'm just lucky, but if it was so unreliable we'd see more threads about it.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Nothing in computers happens "for no reason". The question is whether you're interested to figure it out. Simply disqualifying wifi as unreliable doesn't dig deep enough. Why is it flaky? Dig down by repeating that question a few times as you look for causes and you'll find a plausible root cause. Once that's in the open, let's see how it can be properly fixed.