Cannot see JAMMA controls through JAMMAsd or IPAC

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Lloyd2084

Cannot see JAMMA controls through JAMMAsd or IPAC

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

Hi there,

I've just setup a new MiSTer build but am having problems with the controls.

I can use a USB keyboard or 8bitDo, but when I plug into my JAMMA cabinet no controls are recognised and the VID:PIDs don't appear in the MiSTer menu. I have gone into the ini file and set it for JAMMAsd as suggested (it had already defaulted to it).

I just can't get it to recognise or respond to any JAMMA inputs on either a JAMMAsd or IPAC.

Here's the odd thing, when I first plugged it into my JAMMA last night, the controls were recognised and it just worked by default. I took the MiSTer out today to use on my PC monitor for some computer gaming but when I plugged it back into to my JAMMA, nothing was recognised. I've tried using the alt ini file and same results.

I've been tearing my hair out but can think of anything else to try. I'm loathe to do a fresh install as I spent about 3 hours yesterday getting it all up and running.

Thanks in advance!
Lloyd2084

Re: Cannot see JAMMA controls through JAMMAsd or IPAC

Update.

Ok, I reinstalled my SD card with a fresh install. No change. USB keyboard recognised and BT 8bitDo recognised.

I then transferred all my MiSTer Addons to another DE-10 I had and still the same problem persists.

Could it be an issue with the USB expander or connector? I’m using a MIsTerFPGA 2.1 board.

As I’ve tried both a JAMMASD and a Jpac, surely this is the only thing left in the chain? The probability of both adapters failing at the same time seem very remote.
caad

Unread post by caad »

Make sure the IPAC is in default (keyboard) mode, and make sure you don't try to use the jamma_vid/pid option in MiSTer.ini.

You do not have to (and should not) use the "Define joystick buttons" UI.

It should just work out of the box. Which cores are you trying?

Btw, the input test core will NOT work. It doesn't show MAME key inputs for some reason.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Lloyd2084 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:59 pm As I’ve tried both a JAMMASD and a Jpac, surely this is the only thing left in the chain? The probability of both adapters failing at the same time seem very remote.
It just sounds like the USB cable that you are using is damaged.
Lloyd2084

Thanks guys.

I’ll plug the Jpac into my pc and check which mode it is in and will also try another cable.

I’m hoping I can get the JAMMASd going as the onboard amp would be very useful and save me having to go with an external amp / speaker system.

I tried with a number of cores, arcade and console.
Lloyd2084

Ok, I learnt a lesson in starting with the basics.

It looks like the ground came loose from my JAMMA joystick. I only figured it out after changing wires when I chucked an old 60-1 in to test my sanity…

Thanks for all the help, I’m up and running. I can’t quite map the controls to be as I would expect, but I’ll spend some time looking through the wikis etc before I post for help. I think I may have defined joystick as above but I’ll try and undo that.

Thanks for everything guys!
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Here is a tutorial how to set it up properly: viewtopic.php?t=448
caad

Unread post by caad »

paulbnl wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:54 am Here is a tutorial how to set it up properly: viewtopic.php?t=448
This did not work for me. After defining joystick buttons for P1, the OSD menu stopped responding to my controls.

This is why I went with the JPAC in keyboard mode and recommend it to everyone.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Well you must be doing something wrong then. jamma_vid/pid is basically used for translating a keyboard to 2 joypads.

Most cores don't support keyboard for controls and as you noticed the input tester also does not. So it is needed to use jamma_vid/pid.