MiSTer Input Test Utility

Lex

MiSTer Input Test Utility

Unread post by Lex »

Hello!

I have got a question about trackball usage for mister fpga arcade cores

I started up the input test utility and the trackball (Happ) works perfectly fine within

the utility - it is recognise as mouse

However if I use the trackball in the arcade core Centipede it kind of slips and it hard to

control with little responsiveness (I can only switch between Joy1 and Joy2 - mouse does

not show up). Am I missing something? Is there a way to configure the trackball such as

it is done with the Joystick, Joypads and Buttons?

Would be really glad if you could help me I like the game a lot :roll:
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer Input Test Utility

Unread post by lamarax »

I'm experimenting with this right now in Centipede;

maybe try to uncomment/add this line to your Mister.ini:

Code: Select all

spinner_throttle=0
I'm finding playing with that value gives noticeable results
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hello Lamarax!

Thanks for the tip - it worked kind of but I can only control the overall speed but in terms of responsiveness there is no change.

It is hard to describe but to describe it more precisely the spin of the trackball is not synchronous to what is happening on the screen. It is hard to stop and place centipede exactly which is a no go in the game sometimes it even moves in the wrong direction. When you control it with the joystick it moves smoothly and the way it should be but a joystick is a no go for this game.

In my opinion there must be a configuration conflict or the core itself or another process overlapping the movement of the spinner. It cannot be the hardware because in input tester it works fine

Perhaps someone has another idea otherwise I am pretty stuck - but hey life can never be perfect

regards,
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Lex wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:05 pm It is hard to describe but to describe it more precisely the spin of the trackball is not synchronous to what is happening on the screen. It is hard to stop and place centipede exactly which is a no go in the game sometimes it even moves in the wrong direction. When you control it with the joystick it moves smoothly and the way it should be but a joystick is a no go for this game.

In my opinion there must be a configuration conflict or the core itself or another process overlapping the movement of the spinner. It cannot be the hardware because in input tester it works fine
Yes you're quite right, that was my observation as well using the Taito mini trackball/spinner controller. What encoder are you using with the HAPP trackball? Ultimarc opti? Maybe therein lies the answer, although I'd think this is a core issue after all (remember it came out before people were attempting to use dedicated controls with the MiSTer)
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hi!

Yes it is the ultimarc opti pac - which is connected to the otg usb of the mister - the trackball leads are fed into the connectors of the ultimarc optipac

I have also connected a ultimarc spintrak which works very well with the game Arkanoid

So in conclusion we can say it is a core problem which is a shame because otherwise the fpga simulation is quite good - I cannot really tell a difference from a real pcb (and I had two of them)

I guess it is useless to try a different trackball - I had the ultimark hooked up as well same story ..

So the only thing we can hope for is someone to integrate mouse/trackball support otherwise it will not be the same experience very frustrating
jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

It looks like an issue has been introduced when I last updated this core (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... /issues/23). I'm not having much luck with Centipede recently, when you fix one thing something else breaks!!

I'm looking into it and hopefully I'll be able to find a resolution soon.
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hi!

I have already send you a message on github - the highscore feature is really cool and nice and its my

impression that the trackball control is less responsive than before perhaps someone has more luck

If you have got another question which can contribute to the solution please ask me

Would be super happy if you can fix this - thanks for your efforts

regards,
jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

Lex wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:43 pm Hi!

I have already send you a message on github - the highscore feature is really cool and nice and its my

impression that the trackball control is less responsive than before perhaps someone has more luck

If you have got another question which can contribute to the solution please ask me

Would be super happy if you can fix this - thanks for your efforts

regards,
Aha, hadn't realised you were the same person due to the different usernames :D
I've sent you a link to a test build on Github, let me know when you get a chance to take a look.
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hello Jimmy!

I tested it out already but there is little change. It kind of works a little better but the basic problems still remain - the character sprite is not really very controllable sometimes moves in the wrong direction no comparison to the movement in the core input tester

regards,