Public Release for Jotego Arcade Cores (Road Fighter, Ping Pong, Hyper Sports)

jca
Top Contributor

Public Release for Jotego Arcade Cores (Road Fighter, Ping Pong, Hyper Sports)

Unread post by jca »

jotego
@topapate
Public releases for #MiSTerFPGA and other systems: Road Fighter, Ping Pong and Hyper Sports. The files will become available in JTBIN during the day. Thanks to all patrons for supporting these releases.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: Public Release for Jotego Arcade Cores (Road Fighter, Ping Pong, Hyper Sports)

Unread post by Xbytez »

Jotego's GitHub for these is here:

https://github.com/jotego/jtkicker

FP1IMs5WUAYiHDz.png
FP1IMs5WUAYiHDz.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
FP1IOYnXEAE93d5.png
FP1IOYnXEAE93d5.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
FP1IVcsXoAg27iE.png
FP1IVcsXoAg27iE.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Public Release for Jotego Arcade Cores (Road Fighter, Ping Pong, Hyper Sports)

Unread post by jca »

Too bad: there is some remnant of the beta phase: annoying popup + text remaining on the screen, covering the top 1/3rd of the screen.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Is Hyper Sports saving the high scores yet?
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Aspie wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:07 pm Is Hyper Sports saving the high scores yet?
As far as I am aware none of Jotego's cores currently offer high score saving, he stated a while back it is a planned feature I believe.

See his post here:

viewtopic.php?p=39847#p39847
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

He said on Twitter a few weeks ago that high score saving was implemented on this core. It does create a save file but when you play the game again it just loads in garbled data
jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

jca wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:31 pm Too bad: there is some remnant of the beta phase: annoying popup + text remaining on the screen, covering the top 1/3rd of the screen.
Run update_all again, you seem to be using the beta versions.
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

no sure why, but I lost Robocop, Rastan and SlySpy since I did an update_all.
They are now back to beta phase version.
oups!
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

updated my jtbeta.zip file and all went fine.
AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

I have run update_all with the jotego cores enabled, and I haven't got any of these 3 new public games. I got ESP.RA.DE just fine. Am I missing something? Otherwise I'll try to install them manually from github tomorrow. Thanks!
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

no release
AmanoJacu

Well, it looks like update_all downloaded the new Jotego cores but not the mra files, I got them from github, and then update_all got teh romz, so now they work fine.
jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

That's odd. It should've gotten every thing.
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am really confused about the status of this release. This question is for anyone who is not a Jotego patron, has not been one, did not download the JT betas and do not have an "illegal" key file on his system:
Are you able to start any of these mras without first having a missing key file popup appearing?
Here is a list of the mras concerned:
Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja (US revision 1).mra, Heavy Barrel (World).mra, Fast Lane.mra, Konami's Ping-Pong.mra, Midnight Resistance (World).mra, Mikie.mra, MX5000.mra, Rastan (World Rev 1).mra, Hyper Sports.mra, Road Fighter (set 1).mra, Hippodrome (US).mra, Robocop (World revision 4).mra, Boulder Dash - Boulder Dash Part 2 (World).mra, Secret Agent (World revision 3).mra, Altered Beast (set 2) (MC-8123B 317-0066).mra.
davidmt

Unread post by davidmt »

Confirmed, I am having the same issue as jca.

Over the weekend I was looking to try Ping Pong but wasn't seeing it in the MiSTer menus. I've updated a few times since then, and now I have both the MRA and ROM (although not yet in the Arcade organized file). However, starting the game gives that "beta missing" message.

Tried a few of the games listed here and yes, all give the same error message.

Also been chatting with a friend who isn't even seeing the new games come down yet after running update_all. Something does seem off with this release.
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

i'm having the same issue, posted about getting this working but someone deleted my post :(
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Bunker wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:39 pm i'm having the same issue, posted about getting this working but someone deleted my post :(
Did you get it working by editing the mra?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks to davidmt.
I found out very early about this problem and made a post about it, may be the 3rd post in this thread, but I got mixed feedback. From what has been posted it seems that the problem does not appear if you are a patron (which is normal) but it is difficult to figure out what is happening when you are not a patron.
To get the public release I did not use update all as I wanted to know what where the new Jotego cores/mras as the announcement did not say what is included with the public release. For this reason I used the Jotego updater and saw that some Jotego updates where also included alongside the public release. Some of these updates seem to also be afflicted with the problem.
I tried again the Jotego updater the next day in case the problem was fixed but no change. I also used the update all script using the new downloader but no change.
I finally went to the source: jtbin on Github and downloaded 2 rbf a 2 mra but no change.

For users having the problem with update all: are you using the new downloader or the old updater?
If you use the old updater I noticed that it downloads new stuff when it likes it. Some new stuff can come one day and the rest later on. The only reliable way I found was to force a total resync by deleting the last successful run file.
If you are using the new downloader try the Jotego updater.

The release of Sega 16 has also a few glitches:
E-Swat (Set 4) is missing, I had an old one and it also gives the key file popup, the same for the alternatives as the alternate zip dates from last year, prior to the public release.
davidmt

Unread post by davidmt »

I've been using the "new" updater for awhile now.

A couple times a year I will delete my _Arcade and MAME folder and let the script rebuild everything. I think it's a good practice to keep things nice and clean. I prefer this approach rather than removing the last file run.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

This is a good idea, not sure if it is necessary with the new downloader but it sure is with the old updater. In particular with mras as they have no date in their names and you could end up with the wrong mra. Once I did delete all mras as I had such a problem. The update script re-downloaded everything, up to date and clean.
AmanoJacu

jca wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:56 pm I am really confused about the status of this release. This question is for anyone who is not a Jotego patron, has not been one, did not download the JT betas and do not have an "illegal" key file on his system:
Are you able to start any of these mras without first having a missing key file popup appearing?
Here is a list of the mras concerned:
Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja (US revision 1).mra, Heavy Barrel (World).mra, Fast Lane.mra, Konami's Ping-Pong.mra, Midnight Resistance (World).mra, Mikie.mra, MX5000.mra, Rastan (World Rev 1).mra, Hyper Sports.mra, Road Fighter (set 1).mra, Hippodrome (US).mra, Robocop (World revision 4).mra, Boulder Dash - Boulder Dash Part 2 (World).mra, Secret Agent (World revision 3).mra, Altered Beast (set 2) (MC-8123B 317-0066).mra.
I am not a Jotego patreon (yet), so I thought I couldn't download the cores and mra's for games that to my understanding are still beta, such as Rastan, Robocop and Sly Spy. Are they public now? Update_all doesn't get them for me, I can try to manually get the mra's from jtbin, I believe the rbf have already been downloaded by update_all.

EDIT: I have installed the mra's for Rastan, Secret Agent and Robocop, and they all boot fine, but with the beta message and controls locked, as expected as I am not a Patreon. Is there anything else you want me to check?
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

jotego wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:28 am That's odd. It should've gotten every thing.
The mra files of these games still load jtbeta.zip so that's why.

https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/blob/3e ... 1).mra#L68
AmanoJacu

paulbnl wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:03 am
jotego wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:28 am That's odd. It should've gotten every thing.
The mra files of these games still load jtbeta.zip so that's why.

https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/blob/3e ... 1).mra#L68
I got the mra files from the link in the second post, and there they don't load jtbeta (which I don't have):

https://github.com/jotego/jtkicker/blob ... t%201).mra

So I guess that's why they work for me. Still I had to download those mra manually, update_all didn't get them.

However, I'm quite a n00b at mister and github, so I may be missing something.
Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

Rastan, Robocop and Sly Spy are all still in the beta phase.
You can download any beta core and mra-file from jtbin, but can't play them without jtbeta.zip.
Please chip in and support Jotego if you can, as his work is one of the best things that ever happened to gaming :)
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I made a few experiments to try to figure out what is going on. I found a few things but do not understand what is going on.
On Apr 8, the day of the public release, I did not use update all but the jtcores updater as I just wanted the JT updates to figure out what were the roms involved, the announcement of the release did not say much about the roms, only the cores.
After the update I made a post noticing the "key file bug". Not seeing any real feedback I re-ran the updater in case I did the update too early. Nothing new. The next day Jotego said I must have the beta versions and I should run the update all script. I never asked for the betas to be downloaded so I do not know where they come from. I ran the update all script which re-downloaded the rbfs. I did not pay too much attention to it suspecting the update all script did not realized that I used the jtcore script. As was wrong as you will see.
Today I decided to use brute force: I deleted all the rbfs and mras related to this last JT update, I left the zipped roms alone.
When deleting the rbf I noticed that some where "double" like jtninja_20220408 and jtninja_20220409, the first one being the one downloaded with the jtcores updater and the second one being the one downloaded the next day by the update all script. I also noticed that all the Sega 16 cores were also "double" so I deleted them. So there was an update between the 8th and the 9th, I don't know why the update all script did not delete the old one but launching a mra will use the latest.
After deleting these rbs and mras I ran the update all script which re-downloaded the rbfs but not the mras. There is some sort of problem with the new downloader.
So I used the jtcores updater after that and it downloaded the mras.
I tested the mras, no change.
In this release there were 3 kinds of updates: the Public release, some updates of cores which were already public and some updates for beta cores.
I do not know why I get the betas but here is the list:
Bad dudes, Heavy barrel, Midnight resistance, Rastan, Hippodrome, Robocop, Boulder dash and Secret agent.
The public release cores and the updates to cores already public are now all affected by the "Key File Bug" with this annoying popup which, once it disappears from the screen, does not prevent to use the game. For the cores which were already public I don't remember seeing this popup before, for example Altered beast (Set 2) and MX5000.
There is a problem with the new downloader and the way Jotego releases his cores which now come with this annoying popup.
This post is already long so I will make another one concerning the very strange thing during update all, things I have never seen before and do not undertand where they come from.
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

jca wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:49 pm I made a few experiments to try to figure out what is going on. I found a few things but do not understand what is going on.
On Apr 8, the day of the public release, I did not use update all but the jtcores updater as I just wanted the JT updates to figure out what were the roms involved, the announcement of the release did not say much about the roms, only the cores.
After the update I made a post noticing the "key file bug". Not seeing any real feedback I re-ran the updater in case I did the update too early. Nothing new. The next day Jotego said I must have the beta versions and I should run the update all script. I never asked for the betas to be downloaded so I do not know where they come from. I ran the update all script which re-downloaded the rbfs. I did not pay too much attention to it suspecting the update all script did not realized that I used the jtcore script. As was wrong as you will see.
Today I decided to use brute force: I deleted all the rbfs and mras related to this last JT update, I left the zipped roms alone.
When deleting the rbf I noticed that some where "double" like jtninja_20220408 and jtninja_20220409, the first one being the one downloaded with the jtcores updater and the second one being the one downloaded the next day by the update all script. I also noticed that all the Sega 16 cores were also "double" so I deleted them. So there was an update between the 8th and the 9th, I don't know why the update all script did not delete the old one but launching a mra will use the latest.
After deleting these rbs and mras I ran the update all script which re-downloaded the rbfs but not the mras. There is some sort of problem with the new downloader.
So I used the jtcores updater after that and it downloaded the mras.
I tested the mras, no change.
In this release there were 3 kinds of updates: the Public release, some updates of cores which were already public and some updates for beta cores.
I do not know why I get the betas but here is the list:
Bad dudes, Heavy barrel, Midnight resistance, Rastan, Hippodrome, Robocop, Boulder dash and Secret agent.
The public release cores and the updates to cores already public are now all affected by the "Key File Bug" with this annoying popup which, once it disappears from the screen, does not prevent to use the game. For the cores which were already public I don't remember seeing this popup before, for example Altered beast (Set 2) and MX5000.
There is a problem with the new downloader and the way Jotego releases his cores which now come with this annoying popup.
This post is already long so I will make another one concerning the very strange thing during update all, things I have never seen before and do not undertand where they come from.
I first discovered a problem when I updated (UpdateALL - new downloader ON) and didn''t get the new JT titles.. Road Fighter, Hyper Sports & PingPong) ..

I have JT cores, MameGetter ON, but not premium cores.
Public cores by JT have always been downloaded correctly on both of my MiSTer devices. The file enclosed shows the last downled MAME roms via this method.
Attachments
image2.png
image2.png (84.95 KiB) Viewed 2833 times