Video Player Core?

pepito

Video Player Core?

Unread post by pepito »

Good day

I wanted to bring with me on holidays my mister and I wonder if I can watch movies on it.
Does this Mister got a video player core? and divx files used from an USB stick.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: Video Player Core?

Unread post by flynnsbit »

No but you could bring your mt32-pi and an extra SD card and it would take you 2 seconds to reboot into a player frontend, it could even still be powered by the mister...
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Just use a Chromecast and stream from your phone
retro

Unread post by retro »

This is definitely a great question though... can the Terasic DE-10 Nano's FPGA be used to reproduce high-end audiophile equipment like those super expensive Sony ES SACD players? :)
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Put movies on a usb stick then plug it into any relatively modern tv
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Imagine watching stuff on a crt again. Heaven. 😎
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

looks like my question wasn't so great. Well.. it's ok..
I don't wanted take all my mess during my holidays but I'll continue to bring with me, my Mister and my Divx USB player.
Thanks guys!
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I think it's too much for MiSTer even if it's a player like VLC running on the Linux side (which I think is the only realistic option).
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

You can in theory write a core that implements video codecs, but it is going to be limited in terms of how many it can do since a lot of those are proprietary and sold as non-open IP cores. Even if you started from scratch it would be lots of work per codec.

So you would end up with a player core that forces you to reencode your videos to work, with less format support than some modern TVs (using a USB stick). Not the best experience.

Now where maybe there is a niche would be to make a core that can encode mpeg2 or mpeg4 video in real time from imput via the VGA or GPIO port (or even to capture video from a running core). I'm not sure if those ports are fast enough but in this use case, only supporting 1 or 2 codecs is less problematic.

To illustrate, I'm sure you could play videos on MiSTer right now as long as your video is encoded as MegaCD or PlayStation disk. Very inconvenient though... :D
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

C-R-T wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 am Imagine watching stuff on a crt again. Heaven. 😎
You can easily do that with a Raspberry Pi which has a dedicated composite video output. I used an app called Rasplex which streamed the video files from my PC to the CRT.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

Fallon wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:38 am
C-R-T wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 am Imagine watching stuff on a crt again. Heaven. 😎
You can easily do that with a Raspberry Pi which has a dedicated composite video output. I used an app called Rasplex which streamed the video files from my PC to the CRT. It was great!
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

Having seen other people going on about streaming DVD rips and old ads etc to a CRT I wanted to do this myself but couldn't find the threads (or even Discord maybe) where people seem to have set up playlists of old ads and TV shows to run constantly. I have a decent Plex setup already and never even thought of this so thanks! (although I do still like the idea of a massive playlist)
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

DVD players with analogue video output and LAN connectivity are still readily available. Get one with DLNA support any you watch pretty much anything you want on a CRT television.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

RascalUK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:37 am Having seen other people going on about streaming DVD rips and old ads etc to a CRT I wanted to do this myself but couldn't find the threads (or even Discord maybe) where people seem to have set up playlists of old ads and TV shows to run constantly.
https://www.my80stv.com/

I also use RPi /crtemudriver PC to watch SD content on CRTs...it's amazing, especially when you can find decent quality rips.
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

Ha that link is amazing :-) Sorry for off-topicing the living daylights outta the thread :-)
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Fallon wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:38 am
You can easily do that with a Raspberry Pi which has a dedicated composite video output. I used an app called Rasplex which streamed the video files from my PC to the CRT.
But I don’t have a raspberry pi (and those are kinda hard to come by these days), I have a mister. And composite isn’t good enough. The mister’s rgb output would be so much nicer.