Issues with certain cores on CRT telly

MikkyTee

Issues with certain cores on CRT telly

Unread post by MikkyTee »

Just got my rgb scart lead for mister yesterday, and tried it last night on my skip rescued 25inch Sony Trinitron tv. Now, tried Rastan first off, and it was glorious. Then swapped to Street fighter 2, and it was a flicker fest. Ok, changed to The Punisher, and it was superb. Also tried Carrier air wing, another flicker show. I'm guessing that some of these games have oddball refresh rates or something? Any users out there have anyway around this & would it be possible to have a global option for all cores to use the same refresh?
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Issues with certain cores on CRT telly

Unread post by akeley »

Both these games work fine on my Trinitron using both IO & DV. If you're sure your config is ok (best use a fresh one) then it might be your hardware. Where did you get your cable?
MikkyTee

Im using the retroshack cable, vga to scart. Can you explain what your using please, settings etc?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

There's no special settings needed, just composite_sync=1 / direct_video=1 (if you're using DV of course). The Retroshack cable should be fine, it's most likely the same design as my cables. Some Trinitron models can be quite sensitive, especially on DV, but with a proper cable (with the resistor) all mine work ok with MiSTer. Maybe you TV took a knock or two in the skip, who knows. The other reason can be sometimes a problem with IO board or DV adapter too.

What about your other cores, they work ok?
MikkyTee

Thanks, in my limited testing yes but i only tested a few of of favorites in the arcade folder. Snes works fine. The tv seems to work ok for all i've tried on it, im not using DV though, straight from the i/o vga to the rgb scart on the tv. Direct video is from the hdmi port yes? What cable are you using?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I have a few cables, one is decicated MiSTer VGA-SCART from Ultimatemister and is probably exactly the same as yours. It works the same on Direct Video and IO board (I have both).

Some cores could be slightly out of spec for your TV, so the TV can work with 98% of stuff but not some outliers. If that's the case probably not much you can do but maybe try some custom modelines.

There's also this: viewtopic.php?t=3239
MikkyTee

Solved the issue, i had the scan doubler enabled in the cores i had issues with and since i also had a rotated flat screen for vertical arcades on the HDMI, i was able to see the menu and change that option to none and straight away the image was stable on the tv. Found a few more cores that had the same problem but just glad now it seems that i can use the large tv without issue. Thanks for your help Akeley.