Humming sound, speakers

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Robgus

Humming sound, speakers

Unread post by Robgus »

Hi!

I have my mister connected to a Lepy amplifier with a 3,5 aux cable and I get a humming sound out of my speakers…

Does anyone have a suggestion how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance, all the best!
AngelicLiver

Re: Humming sound, speakers

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

These cheap Chinese amps often have grounding issues. Try touching the chassis, if it reduces the hum then it needs to be properly grounded.

Wave

Unread post by Wave »

The 3.5mm audio jack on the analog i/o board is noisy as hell, unfortunately. The workaround is to use digital output. Luckily the same jack also supports optical out, which is way cleaner.

I got tired of shoddy analog -> optical converters so I ended up just picking a set of bookshelf speakers that has native optical input.
she/her
Robgus

Unread post by Robgus »

Wave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:40 pm The 3.5mm audio jack on the analog i/o board is noisy as hell, unfortunately. The workaround is to use digital output. Luckily the same jack also supports optical out, which is way cleaner.

I got tired of shoddy analog -> optical converters so I ended up just picking a set of bookshelf speakers that has native optical input.
Cheers mate!

I saw something like a ground loop noise isolator on amazon, but I’m unsure if it is worth it.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

I will say that if it's a constant humming, that does sound more like a ground loop, like AngelicLiver suggested.

If the sound is more reactive to things like how bright the screen is and disk access, that's the noisy analog jack output I am talking about.
she/her