MSX Core Shows Yellow Instead of White on Some TV’s

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
moldov

MSX Core Shows Yellow Instead of White on Some TV’s

Unread post by moldov »

Hello everyone.

I'm having the issue listed in the following bugtrac for MSX core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/MSX_MiSTer/issues/23

So I will try to explain the issue sortly. I have my MiSTer connected to 29 inch SONY consumer CRT with Component input. When I load latest MSX core on MiSTer, I see that white color in MSX becomes yellow and even MiSTer MSX core menu becomes yellow instead of being white on black. During loading of MSX core I see MSX logo which is yellow instead of white, then I see SofaRun splash screen where white is displayed correctly, then SofaRun goes to files list which is diplayed like yellow on blue instead of white on blue.

But if I use old Release 20190928 - white is Okay. As per Sogerlig explanation, it can be related to commit #2ff7fdf, which was about "Sync VDP with latest OCM." After that commit that issue appeared on my particular TV.

I have another SONY CRT which is newer model and that issue doesn't exist on that TV. So it's apparently issue on 29inch particular CRT with the latest MSX core however that issue doesn't exist on the Release 20190928 when "Sync VDP with latest OCM." was not inplemented yet.

I have access to CRT Service meny as long as ability to edit MiSTer INI file, however I don't know which parameter should I change. So if anyone has any clue or quite good experience with CRT, it would be greate if you give me any clue or direction where I should dig to.

Thanx!
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: MSX Core Shows Yellow Instead of White on Some TV’s

Unread post by akeley »

Some TVs (especially Trinitrons) are more sensitive than others. But, if it doesn't happen on any other cores then it also seems MSX-only related, so you can describe your issue in that github thread, maybe it could be fixed one day.

I don't think there's anything you can do in mister.ini to help, and also in service menu - even if you could tweak some colours for this particlar scenario there it'd unbalance things for everything else.
moldov

Re: MSX Core Shows Yellow Instead of White on Some TV’s

Unread post by moldov »

Yeah, I will try to explain the issue again to the core guys (or will do it myself one day:) as I started to work on one of the cores, which doesn't exit). I thought it could be fixed by working with sync sygnal. Delaying recognition of sync sygnal received by TV or changing NTSC frequency slightly from MiSTer....

It's apparently MSX core issue, because not only yellowing is issue but also blue color becomes darker. And I can see blue darkening for a moment even on the properly working old core. When MSX goes from logo screen to SofaRun splash screen then to SofaRun Files list I see the blue darkening between Sofa Run splash and Files Menu but it happens just for a moment and then white and blue become normal.