USB Rotary Joystick Control Interface From Ultimarc Support/Issue

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
tmoger

USB Rotary Joystick Control Interface From Ultimarc Support/Issue

Unread post by tmoger »

Good Evening,

I have a mistercade setup up and running. I added a usb rotary interface purchased from ultimarc.com years ago that I used in a mame cabinet. Its a board for rotary joystick games like ikari warriors, heavy barrell, and time soldiers etc. The board allows rotary joysticks to turn left and right in windows/emulators.

I am trying to use the rotary interface board with misterfpga/mistercade but I am having issues. When connected to usb, I can see the rotary board showing up in mister, and the rotary controls even work on the test menu, but I cant map the rotary controls in the "define controls" menu in cores that have use for rotary joysticks (testing with heavy barrel) . I can map up, down, left and right, but when prompted to turn left and right, the rotary controls do nothing.

I tested the board in windows and the keys it displays when turned are / for left and [ for right .

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, i am dying to play heavy barrel on a verticle monitor w the rotary working.

Hope all is well,

Tony Moger
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: USB Rotary Joystick Control Interface From Ultimarc Support/Issue

Unread post by lamarax »

tmoger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:21 pm [...]and the rotary controls even work on the test menu [...]
Does the test core report the rotary controls as being a mouse wheel [WHL]? If so, it's probably an issue similar to this.

@theypsilon (the update_all script guy) has found a solution, but this hasn't yet been amended inside MiSTer's linux kernel.
tmoger

Unread post by tmoger »

Hello,

It seems like the rotary board is showing as a keyboard.

The mistercade is showing as keyboard ID: 16d0:10be

and the rotary interface is showing as keyboard ID: d209:2001

Thanks for the reply!

Tony Moger
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

tmoger wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:53 am It seems like the rotary board is showing as a keyboard.
So when you fire up the test core, it registers each turning "notch" as a different key press?

If that's the case, then it's up to the developer of each individual core (which was originally built around a rotary joystick), to implement a "keyboard translation" control scheme (e.g. like @RndMnkIII has done recently by "porting" the original rotary controller of T.N.K. III over to the shoulder buttons of a standard pad).
tmoger

Unread post by tmoger »

Hello,

if I use the rotary board in misterfpga and its the first device to map, it can map x2 settings, turning left and turning right, but I cant see what character its using in misterfpga, but it is registering. If I use the rotary board in windows and open notepad, when I turn the joystick left it shows \ and when I turn right it shows } .

If I map the mistercade first, it shows on a different ID and I cant map the rotary board at all, it has no response.

For example , If I map rt, left down, up button 1 button2 the next prompt is turn left and then turn right, but I dont get a response in mister.

If I map the rotary board first, I can set left and right from the rotary board but nothing else.

I hope this makes sense, I can send a vid etc if that helps

Thank you very much for the reply,

Tony Moger