Sync Problem Rolling Picture Using direct_video Mode

akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Sync Problem Rolling Picture Using direct_video Mode

Unread post by akeley »

nmur wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:24 pm Am I encountering known? or is this more likely due to an adapter or device in my video chain?
If you are sure your bioses are up to date and your mister.ini in order (best to troubleshoot with a fresh one from github) then it's most likely one of the the latter two. The core should output properly on most DV adapters atm, with perpahs some minor glitches present but not total refusal to cooperate as you describe. It seems the DV is very sensitive on PSX, so maybe some stuff will be fixed further still, but as it is it works fine for me & many others, and I've tested it on a bunch of CRTs / cables / adapters.

What is your setup anyway?
nmur

Unread post by nmur »

akeley wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:01 pm
nmur wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:24 pm Am I encountering known? or is this more likely due to an adapter or device in my video chain?
If you are sure your bioses are up to date and your mister.ini in order (best to troubleshoot with a fresh one from github) then it's most likely one of the the latter two. The core should output properly on most DV adapters atm, with perpahs some minor glitches present but not total refusal to cooperate as you describe. It seems the DV is very sensitive on PSX, so maybe some stuff will be fixed further still, but as it is it works fine for me & many others, and I've tested it on a bunch of CRTs / cables / adapters.

What is your setup anyway?
Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate that. I tried fresh bioses and mister.ini files, but got the same result, so yeah definitely something in my setup. I'll try and isolate some stuff and try different displays as well.

My setup is a bit convoluted because I have a bunch of input and output devices, but it's:
MiSTer DV -> UGREEN HDMI to VGA adapter -> Extron MVX VGA Switcher -> Extron RGB 203Rxi -> Extron MVX again -> RGB VGA to YPbPr Component transcoder -> consumer CRT TV
chromium

Unread post by chromium »

nmur wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:00 pm My setup is a bit convoluted because I have a bunch of input and output devices, but it's:
MiSTer DV -> UGREEN HDMI to VGA adapter -> Extron MVX VGA Switcher -> Extron RGB 203Rxi -> Extron MVX again -> RGB VGA to YPbPr Component transcoder -> consumer CRT TV
I'm using that same ugreen adapter and it works the best out of the 4 HDMI to VGA adapters I have here.

There's a different ugreen one that gave me issues on a couple of cores, I also have a tendak that doesn't work at all on 480i content.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

I upgraded the core yesterday and still no luck, the image is not stable. I also use an ugreen adapter that works perfect for all the other cores.

Maybe the sync output from the core is a bit different from the standard? for arcade pcbs with rare sync I use the Martin Jones sync stabilizer that helps sometimes: https://martin-jones.com/2014/09/16/tha ... tay-still/

A similar technique was used to improve sync compatibility in Double Dragon II by Jotego if I recall correctly.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

Since 18 June version sync works perfectly in my setup.
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

yes, all my issues about rolling images on certain FMVs are gone.

Congrats for the fix, dev!
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Hey dudes,

I just did an update_all and my PS1 core no longer works with direct video. The picture is rolling and flickering like mad. I also tried the nightly build: PSX_unstable_20220627_15ed1e.rbf .

Any ideas? What should I do? It worked perfectly before the update (last time I ran update all was maybe around two weeks ago).
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Just ran update all, PSX core is much newer now (july 2). Still happens. The core loads, and when the PS1 logo shows up, the screen starts flickering and rolling. Using direct video. All other cores work. Anyone else?

This is my ini:

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0 ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0 ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=1 ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0 ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=1 ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
; 1 - use integer scale only.
; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0 ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0 ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig.
;mouse_throttle=10 ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0 ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0 ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0 ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=1 ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=0 ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1 ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30 ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0 ; Display OSD menu rotated, 0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)

[PSX]
video_info=0
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've only updated the core itself now, seems to display ok both on DV and IO.
nmur

Unread post by nmur »

nmur wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:24 pm Thought I might ask in here as I'm seeing an issue with direct_video and my CRT, though it doesn't appear to be sync related.

On the latest stable (20220511), I'm able to see the PS1 boot screen/logo perfectly, and sometimes even a menu (eg with Gran Turismo 2), but most games and scenes give a black screen. My Extron RGB 203Rxi does show that it's getting a ~15.7kHz signal during this black video output, though sometimes it doesn't detect any signal either.

On the latest nightly (20220601_180371), when I load the core I can see the boot screen and no-disc menu, but when I load a game I will always get a black screen, but the Extron is reporting ~15.7kHz signal as well.

Am I encountering known? or is this more likely due to an adapter or device in my video chain?
Just replying to myself in case anyone else happens to have the same issue as me and finds this post - I tried a couple of games with PSX_20220702 and they worked great now!