Donpachi Running on the MiSTer FPGA Cave Core

Xbytez
Site Admin

Donpachi Running on the MiSTer FPGA Cave Core

Unread post by Xbytez »

Josh Bassett @nullobject has been hard at work, and is bringing another title to his Cave core, this time it is Donpachi

Josh will release a beta for testing once he has the sound working, if you wish to help with testing sign up to his Patreon here:

https://www.patreon.com/nullobject

splintercell70

Re: Donpachi Running on the MiSTer FPGA Cave Core

Unread post by splintercell70 »

This is one of my favorite arcade games! I’m excited to see nullobject resurrect this forgotten classic.
AlxUnderBase

Unread post by AlxUnderBase »

lagerfeldt

Re: Donpachi erratic audio/sidechain ducking?

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Great game and good work!

I'm noticing some audio oddities with the volume cycling up and down a bit, almost like sidechain ducking at times. Also some odd spikey transients on some sample, perhaps when multiple samples are triggered nearly simultaneously. The latter also sounds like exaggerated sidechain ducking with a fast attack constant.

When I compare it to DonPachi on my Tiny Arcade machine the audio seems a bit more erratic in the MiSTer version. Maybe this is exactly how the game was designed and it's simply easier to notice these oddities now.

I haven't played the original arcade so my only reference is my other machine with DonPachi and my general audio experience as an engineer.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

pac

Unread post by pac »

Noticed that shift in volume too. Completely unaware how that behaves on a real pcb.