USB2SNES Support

mr_chrislad

USB2SNES Support

Unread post by mr_chrislad »

I've posted this feature request in the github repo, but I don't know if it would be more suitable for discussion here.

Would adding usb2snes support to the SNES core be possible?

This is the main thing keeping my SNES and FXPak Pro wired up, as I use it for autotracking and multiworld syncing with the ALttP and Super Metroid (and both together) randomizers.

I'm sure the code that the FX Pak/sd2snes uses is here, https://github.com/RedGuyyyy/sd2snes usb branch, but I wouldn't even know where to begin implementing it.

The qusb2snes PC side software can interact with hardware via the FXpak pro over USB, or to emulators through LUA or the up and coming NWA protocol, or it talks to RetroArch thropugh their 'network command protocols'. Would any of these methods be possible to implement?
sev48lora

Re: USB2SNES Support

Unread post by sev48lora »

I see that being for the sfc/snes per cartridge, I don't think there is interest in inserting it in the core for the mister
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Like mr_chrislad, one of the only reasons I keep my SFC hooked up still is to use USB2SNES to do randomizers with autotracking.

Not a programmer, and I have no idea if it'd be possible to implement on MiSTer, but I'd love to see it added.
DuckSocker

Unread post by DuckSocker »

can I ask what is USB2SNES and what does it do?
The official website is not that clear.
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

There's an actual USB port on the the sd2snes/fx pack that allows for a few things. It can be used to read and write ram, which is used for autotracking (seperate program that runs on a computer and monitors the SNES's ram) items in a game, like Link to the Past or Super Metroid.

It can also be used to load roms directly from a PC.

Probably other development uses for it I'm not aware of.