Store Kickstarts In Folders? [Update Main Solved]

segamemister

Store Kickstarts In Folders? [Update Main Solved]

Unread post by segamemister »

Is this possible to implant or is it already possible?

I would like to keep my orignal kickstarts roms in one folder and my custom made kickstarts in another folders is this possible?

Finally added to main as of 19th of August 2022
limi
Top Contributor

Re: Store Kickstarts In Folders? [Update Main Solved]

Unread post by limi »

Yes. Just make folders and navigate to them when selecting a Kickstart file in the System setup.
segamemister

Not working for me all i see are the kickstart roms i place at the root of the amiga folder on my sd card

If i created a folder it does not show up

Look like you cant have sub-directory when it comes to kickstart roms in the amiga folder disappointing
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Ah, I took a quick look, but what I thought were folders were just long file name indicators. So I guess they have to be in the root folder, then.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I just checked, and it looks like you're out of luck, unless they update the core. I was thinking it might follow the MiSTer convention of listing directories that start with an underscore, but that doesn't work. The Minimig comes from the MiST project, so it doesn't always do things the way other cores do.

It's not as good as folders, but you can probably use a naming convention to make finding specific ROMs easier. If you have any interest in FPGA development, adding folder support to the Kickstart chooser might be a good starter project... it's about the smallest possible change one could reasonably make.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Yeah, its strange. The core only looks for ROMs in a single folder. It has annoyed me for a while, especially since I experiment with custom ROMs and making them myself.
thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

I noticed this today as well, after sorting all my ROMs into different folders. I have all the classic ROMs, 3.2 and 3.2.1 and it gets a little unwieldy.
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

It used to work, only needs a small change in main_mister. I can ask Sorgelig to make that change if enough people (like me) want it.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

R4M wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:03 pm It used to work, only needs a small change in main_mister. I can ask Sorgelig to make that change if enough people (like me) want it.
Hmmm, if its a small change, I might be able to do it. I have not tried yet. Of course then Sorg would still have to approve it, but he did the last few times I made some updates to other cores. Hmm, I think few is actually two total, but still :)
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

I suggested the following in https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... issues/141:

Thanks! While you are at it.. is there a reason, why Kickstart ROMs can only be selected from the Amiga directory? Used to be different and that's quite annoying, when you have more than 10 different versions. I reverted that change to

SelectFile(Selected_F[4], "ROM", SCANO_DIR, MENU_MINIMIG_ROMFILE_SELECTED, MENU_MINIMIG_CHIPSET1);

at case MENU_MINIMIG_CHIPSET2: in menu.cpp, adding the SCANO_DIR (instead of 0) option.

Just a suggestion for the next release. For me, I can also just compile my own version.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

R4M wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:03 pm It used to work, only needs a small change in main_mister.
I guess that explains why I remembered it differently :)
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

R4M wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:11 pm I suggested the following in https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... issues/141:

Thanks! While you are at it.. is there a reason, why Kickstart ROMs can only be selected from the Amiga directory? Used to be different and that's quite annoying, when you have more than 10 different versions. I reverted that change to

SelectFile(Selected_F[4], "ROM", SCANO_DIR, MENU_MINIMIG_ROMFILE_SELECTED, MENU_MINIMIG_CHIPSET1);

at case MENU_MINIMIG_CHIPSET2: in menu.cpp, adding the SCANO_DIR (instead of 0) option.

Just a suggestion for the next release. For me, I can also just compile my own version.
Sorry, I forgot about this again. But now I finally got around to it, and you already explained exactly how to fix it, so it was a pretty quick fix and it works as well as expected. Fully capable of finding kick ROMs in any folder you want, even outside the Amiga folder.

Not sure about the issue you linked with the suggestion? It seems to be resolved? Is there more to submit to the MiSTer Main git than being able to select ROMs from any folder?

I will be writing the pull request now and update this post when its done.

Here it is:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/pull/668

Hmm, might as well also share the updated MiSTer Main in case anyone might want to try it out before it gets merged into the released MiSTer Main:
http://dionysus.dk/devstuff/mister/MinimigMain/MiSTer
segamemister

Caldor wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:42 pm
R4M wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:11 pm I suggested the following in https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... issues/141:

Sorry, I forgot about this again. But now I finally got around to it, and you already explained exactly how to fix it, so it was a pretty quick fix and it works as well as expected. Fully capable of finding kick ROMs in any folder you want, even outside the Amiga folder.

Not sure about the issue you linked with the suggestion? It seems to be resolved? Is there more to submit to the MiSTer Main git than being able to select ROMs from any folder?

I will be writing the pull request now and update this post when its done.

Here it is:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/pull/668

Hmm, might as well also share the updated MiSTer Main in case anyone might want to try it out before it gets merged into the released MiSTer Main:
http://dionysus.dk/devstuff/mister/MinimigMain/MiSTer
Thank you for this seriously just test it seem to work fine going to make organising kickstarts so much easier now :geek:
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

The issue is solved. The problem was, that the resident structures have to be deleted when switching OSes (etc. 3.14 vs. 1.3). Otherwise the Amiga will crash on boot. Now whenever you load a new file into the ROM, an odd number will be written to $4, which forces a cold boot.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

The pull request was commited by Sorg earlier, so it should now be in the nightly build and will be part of the next release.