Has Anyone Gotten Rusty to Work?

Magnitudeten

Has Anyone Gotten Rusty to Work?

Unread post by Magnitudeten »

I've wanted to play Rusty for awhile and tried it on the pc98 core, I got it going, but that core wasn't mature enough to play it right. So I moved over to the ms dos port of the game and ran into issues.

I took the files and converted them into an iso and mounted it. It boots, shows the c-lab logo flawlessly and then immediately freezes on the title screen. I know it could be because I need to install japanese ms dos, or at least the japanese font files. I suspect it's freezing because it can't render the kanji. It could also just be freezing because of an incompatibility with the ao486 core.

Has anyone else attempted to get this game going?
fraggore@sky.com

Re: Has Anyone Gotten Rusty to Work?

Unread post by fraggore@sky.com »

I tried to get it working awhile back as well with no success, the core is not even a beta so we will have to wait for it to get updated.
Chilli_Vibes

Re: Has Anyone Gotten Rusty to Work?

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

On the PC Emulator Dosbox, you have to follow very specific instructions to get it to work.
You could try those settings on ao486.
I followed the following instructions from a Youtube video, some few years ago. Here is the text from that video.

You'll have to search the internet for DOS/V yourself, but I will tell you how to use DOS/V instead of DOSJP:
1. If your copy of DOS/V includes FONT.DAT (the JP font file), you'll need to rename that file before you extract it, since there's a different FONT.DAT that Rusty already uses for the smaller gray text and status icons. I renamed mine to JIS.DAT.
2. Extract the contents of the DOS/V archive into the same folder that Rusty is in (Make sure you've renamed FONT.DAT first!).
3. Clear the first line of play.bat (which should simply read DOSJP) with the following:

dosvfont -f:[fontname].dat -tj

where [fontname] is whatever you renamed your FONT.DAT file.

4. Save and close play.bat
That works for Dosbox, but not sure if it will work on ao86. It does work on real hardware.