GameSave MD/Gen. : Wonderboy in Monsterworld

Nickola

GameSave MD/Gen. : Wonderboy in Monsterworld

Unread post by Nickola »

Hello,
I'm having an issue with "Wonderboy in Monsterworld", the game does not save progression when it is supposed to. :cry:
From what I've read it's because there's no SRAM support, at least at the moment.

I understand this support being consider optional for Sports Games to store high scores ... but for RPGs, it's a major flaw not to support saves, as they are not supposed to be finished in one run...
Lisko

Re: GameSave MD/Gen. : Wonderboy in Monsterworld

Unread post by Lisko »

There are hacked rom versions that supports sram saving
Nickola

Unread post by Nickola »

@Lisko : Thanks for the information. Indeed, I've found said patch.
Now, I'll have to figure how to apply it... Google is my friend :D
Nickola

Unread post by Nickola »

For those who might be interested, I deducted the way cheats engine recognizes the games, and the way to enable cheats for the patched rom.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The Genesis core does support SRAM, but it does not support EEPROM, which Wonderboy in Monsterworld uses. That is why you need a patch to change the Wonder Boy ROM itself to use SRAM.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Nickola wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:19 pm Hello,
I'm having an issue with "Wonderboy in Monsterworld", the game does not save progression when it is supposed to. :cry:
From what I've read it's because there's no SRAM support, at least at the moment.

I understand this support being consider optional for Sports Games to store high scores ... but for RPGs, it's a major flaw not to support saves, as they are not supposed to be finished in one run...
So long story short, the MiSTer's game ram reading is having the lot of the same issues older Flash Carts have.
Lack of SRam support is one of those issues.

Looking up and getting the same Rom patches seems to be the bets solution at the moment.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
MrDo

Unread post by MrDo »

Theres still many games which haven't been SRAM patched yet. Would be great see those done one day, especially NBA Jam TE & NHLPA '93. I have no idea how easy it is to do though.