CGC Game 3: Seirei Senshi Spriggan (TG16/PCE CD) [Console]

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
PistolsAtDawn

CGC Game 3: Seirei Senshi Spriggan (TG16/PCE CD) [Console]

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Seirei Senshi Spriggan.jpg
Seirei Senshi Spriggan.jpg (129.58 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

Game info

Gameplay video

This week's game is Seirei Senshi Spriggan for the TurboDuo core.
Seirei Senshi Spriggan is a 1991 vertically scrolling shooter video game developed by Compile and published by Naxat Soft in Japan for the PC Engine CD-ROM. In the game, the player assume control of Jega and Rikart piloting the Spriggan in order to protect their country from the Buraizubara empire.
Play however you'd like! The point is to enjoy and have fun, but if you would like to compete on high scores, please let us all know how you played (as in, with a arcade control panel, gamepad, etc.). We're on the honor system here for reporting high scores, so if you used cheats, fess up!

Please share with us your thoughts, jokes, frustrations or anything else related to this game that you may discover (i.e. if you discover the game itself was featured or visible in some other form of entertainment like a movie or TV show).
charmless

Re: CGC Game 3: Seirei Senshi Spriggan (TG16/PCE CD) [Console]

Unread post by charmless »

Like I said. The small amount of time I've spent with Spriggan I really liked. But I look forward to digging deeper and I'm really curious to hear what other people think.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

I'd not set up my TG16 core, so it was a journey getting things working. I have a 1TB solid state external USB drive to put larger format games on. So I needed to copy the directory and bios across. I then found out that you had to press 'run' to get the CD image to load, so controller mapping was important.

I've played it a couple of times, but more for making sure it worked properly. I'll put some more time into it over the next few days. But for a schmup, it's been fun.

What has been the main benefit for me is finding recommended games on Youtube for this core. Top 50's and lifting games that sparked some interest.
PistolsAtDawn

Hetzen wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:32 am I'd not set up my TG16 core, so it was a journey getting things working. I have a 1TB solid state external USB drive to put larger format games on. So I needed to copy the directory and bios across. I then found out that you had to press 'run' to get the CD image to load, so controller mapping was important.

I've played it a couple of times, but more for making sure it worked properly. I'll put some more time into it over the next few days. But for a schmup, it's been fun.

What has been the main benefit for me is finding recommended games on Youtube for this core. Top 50's and lifting games that sparked some interest.
There are a LOT of good games available for the TG/SG/CD. The level of polish on the available games seems to be slightly less than Sega or Nintendo's 16-bit consoles for the most part, but not enough that it bothers me. I've started looking at "Top" game videos on youtube for a place to start with selecting games as well.

It took me a little while to find a good copy of this week's game, but it looks like a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to digging into it.
charmless

Hetzen wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:32 am I'd not set up my TG16 core, so it was a journey getting things working. I have a 1TB solid state external USB drive to put larger format games on. So I needed to copy the directory and bios across. I then found out that you had to press 'run' to get the CD image to load, so controller mapping was important.

I'm looking forward to when I get to set up a new core because of the gaming club. It's always exciting. I've used the PC Engine core (I'm taking a stance here with the name ;)) a lot so feel free to ask if you run in to any problems.

There are tons of great games for the system so have fun! Us Europeans never got to play the system back in the day. I've heard of some stores in a few European countries that used to import PC Engines from Japan and there is some weird PAL version of the TG16 floating around but I have no clue what market that was made for.

I'm going to spend some time with Spriggan tonight.

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:09 pm
I'm looking forward to when I get to set up a new core because of the gaming club. It's always exciting. I've used the PC Engine core (I'm taking a stance here with the name ;)) a lot so feel free to ask if you run in to any problems.

There are tons of great games for the system so have fun! Us Europeans never got to play the system back in the day. I've heard of some stores in a few European countries that used to import PC Engines from Japan and there is some weird PAL version of the TG16 floating around but I have no clue what market that was made for.

I'm going to spend some time with Spriggan tonight.
I got some of the MSX games setup earlier, and it was strangely exciting when I got the first ones loaded and playing. I'm really impressed with the platform - in particular the quality of the music in so many games.

I also finally got this game working (I went through a couple of bad copies first) and played a round. I like it! The weapons are interesting, and I don't find the difficulty too high. It doesn't feel like there are the same kind of cheap deaths there would be if this were an arcade game.
charmless

Some thoughts after the first proper session with Spriggan. This game is intense. Reminds me a lot of Musha on the Mega Drive. I can't say I've fully understood the power-up system yet. But you can set your ships/mechs speed with the select button, and turning it down a bit helped me alot. My High Score as of now is 138000 (probably half way through the third level, playing on the default/normal difficulty).

But I really, really like the game. I'm one of those people who love shooters, even if I'm bad at them. It looks ok, the music fits the game perfectly and the controls are super tight.

It seems like you're wasting your power-ups by using them as bombs? Am I understanding that correctly?

Will definitely play more of this. Damn, the PC Engine really has some great shooters.

PistolsAtDawn

I agree that using your powerups as bombs seems wasteful as they don't seem to be overpoweringly-strong bombs. This was a really solid game to nominate, and I'm glad it was the random pick!
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Well, I gave it a good try, but Spriggan is way too fast for me. I was never good at bullet hell shooters even when I was young, and my reflexes are very poor now in comparison, so I die very quickly. There's just too much going on for me to track accurately.

The graphics and sound are startlingly good, though. I'm much more impressed with the presentation than I expected. If I were still fast enough, I think I would really like this game.
charmless

Malor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:31 pm Well, I gave it a good try, but Spriggan is way too fast for me. I was never good at bullet hell shooters even when I was young, and my reflexes are very poor now in comparison, so I die very quickly. There's just too much going on for me to track accurately.

The graphics and sound are startlingly good, though. I'm much more impressed with the presentation than I expected. If I were still fast enough, I think I would really like this game.
I don't think I would call this a bullet hell shooter but i hear you :) You can lower the speed of your ship by pressing select if that helps. But it's definitely not an easy game.

PistolsAtDawn

Malor wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:31 pm Well, I gave it a good try, but Spriggan is way too fast for me. I was never good at bullet hell shooters even when I was young, and my reflexes are very poor now in comparison, so I die very quickly. There's just too much going on for me to track accurately.

I hear you on that. Aging hands and slower relexes don't lead to better performance.

You could setup cheats, maybe.
PistolsAtDawn

I beat the game! Annoyingly though it doesn't give you a chance to see your final score after Act 7 the way you can at the end of the rest of the Acts. I did notice that when I killed the final boss' last form, my score suddenly jumped to over one million! I didn't think to grab a picture because I assumed it would present you with the final score after the credits. It does not, so I don't know for sure what my actual final score was. It wasn't too much higher than a million though because I had to use like a thousand continues to finish it.

I had a lot of input lag on my 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ over Bluetooth, which is the first time I've even really noticed it on the MiSTer. I changed to using a USB cord and it wasn't noticeable after that.

Using the powerups as bombs is a good idea when you get into a tight spot or the next pickup is the same as what would be rotated out next. In that case, you gain nothing but a small amount of points for the powerup, so firing the one in your inventory as a bomb is beneficial.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Japanese bonkers. Played Pistols.

I think I only got to the end of stage one, 46470. It seems it's more about dodging bullets than hitting things.
Chakan4ever

Unread post by Chakan4ever »

Good looking game and I had a lot of fun playing, but as others have mentioned it was a bit busy. As someone who never really played shmups it would have been better if the difficulty had gradually built up over time. I barely finished the first level but still had fun. Loved the music and the flying skulls at the beginning were very cool.
charmless

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:11 pm I beat the game! Annoyingly though it doesn't give you a chance to see your final score after Act 7 the way you can at the end of the rest of the Acts. I did notice that when I killed the final boss' last form, my score suddenly jumped to over one million! I didn't think to grab a picture because I assumed it would present you with the final score after the credits. It does not, so I don't know for sure what my actual final score was. It wasn't too much higher than a million though because I had to use like a thousand continues to finish it.

I had a lot of input lag on my 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ over Bluetooth, which is the first time I've even really noticed it on the MiSTer. I changed to using a USB cord and it wasn't noticeable after that.

Using the powerups as bombs is a good idea when you get into a tight spot or the next pickup is the same as what would be rotated out next. In that case, you gain nothing but a small amount of points for the powerup, so firing the one in your inventory as a bomb is beneficial.
Well done! I don't know why I never used any continues but I managed to get to Stage 4 on one. I guess I just quit out after a good run :D But you've inspired me to try and beat it tonight :)

Yeah input latency will kick your ass playing shmups.

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:58 am Well done! I don't know why I never used any continues but I managed to get to Stage 4 on one. I guess I just quit out after a good run :D But you've inspired me to try and beat it tonight :)

Yeah input latency will kick your ass playing shmups.
Unfortunately you lose your current score when you use a continue. Fortunately there's no limit on them.

I wish I had more of a clue what was going on in those dialogue scenes, but even without that, I really enjoyed the game. The gameplay is solid. The constant weapon changes are a fun way to keep it from getting stale upon replay. The music was good, and I will certainly remember it as above average even if I won't remember any of the level themes individually.