2 Button Controller Options

MrMister1985

2 Button Controller Options

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

Hi guys, are their any 2 button sms game pads/controller's that anyone would recommend for the sms? i want that original feel with 2 buttons next to each other not on an angle like most gamepads do with the 4 buttons these days!

I was thinking of the 8bitdo n30 but not sure if their was anytihng else out their people would recommend.

So far iv'e been using the 8bitdo M30 which is amazing for most stuff but the SMS was my 1st game console as a kid and would love to match the gamepad as close as poss on the MiSTer as i had with my SMS?

Any advice would be great as ive got more time now to have fun with my awesome MiSTer.

Thanx guys :)
Wave

Re: 2 Button Controller Options

Unread post by Wave »

I like to use original / OEM controllers most, which you can do via USB adapters, SNAC, or BlisSTer. In this case I might suggest an original NES controller, if the original SMS pad isn't to your liking (I dislike its d-pad). PC Engine / TG-16 pad is good, also.
she/her
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Agreed. Nothing beats the original controllers if that is what you remember. I never had an SMS, so the NES controllers work perfect for me. Check ebay and 2600daptor (if you don't use SNAC). I prefer SNAC when possible, but I don't believe SNAC works with NES controllers on the SMS.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Oh yeah, good point about SNAC being system-specific. Forgot since I don't use it myself.
she/her
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

8bitdo 2.4g PCE pad I think works great with MiSTer, not just SMS and NES, but a good fit for a lot of Megadrive and Arcade games too. Built in autofire buttons always a plus
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Jlz wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:55 pm 8bitdo 2.4g PCE pad I think works great with MiSTer, not just SMS and NES, but a good fit for a lot of Megadrive and Arcade games too. Built in autofire buttons always a plus
Ditto, I have 4 of these.
MrMister1985

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

Great thanx all that gives me some good options :D
naylord

Unread post by naylord »

I've been using a daemonbite adapter with a nes controller on all 2 button games. The dpad on the nes is fantastic; it's got a great pivot and the buttons are surprisingly clicky and easy to rapidly press. Even the "sharp" corners help me focus better.

Even for non-3 button systems, if the game is 2 button I'll usually use this controller (or games where the 3rd button is auxiliary I can put it on select usually)
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

NES classic and PCE mini are the 2-button gamepads I am using, good if you prefer wired for lowest latency and want fresh new controllers.
thiagoauler

Unread post by thiagoauler »

As a kid, I had a 3 buttons controller for my Master System, which was laid out as A , B and A+B.
Pretty handy the third button that to this day I configure MiSTer to have the same behavior using a Mega Drive controller.