MiSTress - Conversion Kit for Amiga cases

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Daniel8b

Re: MiSTress - Conversion Kit for Amiga cases

Unread post by Daniel8b »

Here are some pics of the new MiSTress board for the A600:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Analogue Blacksheep

Unread post by Analogue Blacksheep »

Just wondering, are the two DB9 ports on the 600 kit compatible with Sega Genesis/Mega Drive controllers - in particular the six button ones?
Daniel8b

Analogue Blacksheep wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:38 pm Just wondering, are the two DB9 ports on the 600 kit compatible with Sega Genesis/Mega Drive controllers - in particular the six button ones?
Yes, unlike the previous MiSTress models (which have a single DB9 port CD32 compatible), the MiSTress 600 has two low latency DB9 ports compatible with Sega Megadrive (3 or 6 buttons), Master System, Atari and C64. Other pasive joysticks should work fine too.

These are based on Daemonbite code/controllers.
triangle

Unread post by triangle »

Lately I've been trying to decide between waiting for a Mistress A600 or building something else. Do you have any production updates in regards to how far along these kits are?
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

I just bought all the gear I need for a Mistress setup including an Amiga 600 shell and key board from ebay. This will be my 3rd MiSTer. I've always wanted an Amiga and this will be my first!
ARCADEAGES

ARCADEAGES wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:47 pm I just bought all the gear I need for a Mistress setup including an Amiga 600 shell and key board from ebay. This will be my 3rd MiSTer. I've always wanted an Amiga and this will be my first!
Looks like I bought the last Mistress as they are all now listed as "out of stock".
blacklistedcard

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

Does anyone know when the next production cycle is happening? Looking to buy the Amiga 1200 one.
ARCADEAGES

blacklistedcard wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 pm Does anyone know when the next production cycle is happening? Looking to buy the Amiga 1200 one.
Not sure. Join the mailing list I guess to get updates
juanjerez

Unread post by juanjerez »

NightShadowPT wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:08 pm My MiSTress 1200 has arrived and I am enjoying it immensely. Having the MiSTer inside a new A1200 case (black) and using the Amiga keyboard makes it much more natural to use and it feels much closer to the "real deal".

I do have 2 things I would like it to have come with though:

- a 3D printed backplate to mask all the back connectors - Having the wholes there makes it look slightly amateurish.
- Having an adapter for a larger fan. The fan it ships with is significantly noisier than the one I had in my MiSTer before and I cannot use it because the adapter only fits the smaller fan.

Both of these can be remediated with some 3D printing files made available after sales, so fingers crossed it will happen one day.

Other than that, I highly recommend this solution as it is very elegant and one of the nicest cases for the MiSTer.
it seems that the backplate would be similar to the one in this image, I have looked in the google drive of 8bits4ever but I can't find any stl file for that part.
https://www.8bits4ever.net/product-page ... idge-caddy

Maybe it can be purchased at some point, let's see if Daniel8b can tell us something.
Daniel8b

NightShadowPT wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:08 pm - a 3D printed backplate to mask all the back connectors - Having the wholes there makes it look slightly amateurish.
- Having an adapter for a larger fan. The fan it ships with is significantly noisier than the one I had in my MiSTer before and I cannot use it because the adapter only fits the smaller fan.
We've done a backplate for the new MiSTress 600. We will do the same for the 1200. The STL file will be freely available once is done. It's unlikely we sell this part separately but it will be included as standard with the 1200 kit (once done, of course).

The problem with the fan is that there is no clearence for a bigger fan. For the 600 we've desinged a 40 mm fan assembly that locks into the case's vent grill. It might be possible to do the same for the 1200.

Cheers!
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Daniel8b wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:44 pm

We've done a backplate for the new MiSTress 600. We will do the same for the 1200. The STL file will be freely available once is done. It's unlikely we sell this part separately but it will be included as standard with the 1200 kit (once done, of course).

The problem with the fan is that there is no clearence for a bigger fan. For the 600 we've desinged a 40 mm fan assembly that locks into the case's vent grill. It might be possible to do the same for the 1200.

Hi!

Any news on any of these designs? Have they been made available in the meantime?

Cheers

mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

Curious if 8bits4ever is going to do another run of the MiSTress 500. They don't seem to have anything in stock on their website and I've received to no reply from the contact us form there. :(

Daniel8b

mattsoft wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:17 pm

Curious if 8bits4ever is going to do another run of the MiSTress 500. They don't seem to have anything in stock on their website and I've received to no reply from the contact us form there. :(

We do have stock from time to time. The best is to use the "Notify When Available" button at the product page to get an automatic notification as soon as there is stock.

At the moment we have a couple of 1200 kits available:
https://www.8bits4ever.net/product-page/mistress-1200

Cheers!

Daniel8b

NightShadowPT wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:24 pm

Hi!

Any news on any of these designs? Have they been made available in the meantime?

Cheers

The 1200 backplate will not fit with old Mistress 1200 kits as there is no enough clearence between the case and the PCB. The only way to make it work is to cut the backplate on a very thin material (acetate sheet for example).

As for the 40mm fan for the Mistress 1200, we have a new fan assembly that allows it.

If you like to have the 3D models contact us through our email/website.

Cheers!

ARCADEAGES

Daniel8b wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:27 am
Analogue Blacksheep wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:38 pm

Just wondering, are the two DB9 ports on the 600 kit compatible with Sega Genesis/Mega Drive controllers - in particular the six button ones?

Yes, unlike the previous MiSTress models (which have a single DB9 port CD32 compatible), the MiSTress 600 has two low latency DB9 ports compatible with Sega Megadrive (3 or 6 buttons), Master System, Atari and C64. Other pasive joysticks should work fine too.

These are based on Daemonbite code/controllers.

I have my MiSTress A600 up and working now and I love it. One thing I can't figure out is the controller ports though. I have connected a genesis controller and go though a button mapping session, and it seems to register all my buttons, but then when I get into the MiSTer menu or into a game the controller does not work.

Is there a trick to get it working?

Daniel8b

ARCADEAGES wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:04 pm

I have my MiSTress A600 up and working now and I love it. One thing I can't figure out is the controller ports though. I have connected a genesis controller and go though a button mapping session, and it seems to register all my buttons, but then when I get into the MiSTer menu or into a game the controller does not work.

There is no special settings needed for MiSTress DB9 ports. It should work exactly the same as if you had an official MiSTer IO Board/USB hub and a daemonbyte USB joystick converter. You might need to check your configuration files.

ARCADEAGES

Daniel8b wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:26 pm
ARCADEAGES wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:04 pm

There is no special settings needed for MiSTress DB9 ports. It should work exactly the same as if you had an official MiSTer IO Board/USB hub and a daemonbyte USB joystick converter. You might need to check your configuration files.

Thank you. What should my config files look like? Any idea? Where should I be looking for Mistress specific info?